d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Motor Sports & Cars > Project Car > Been Sitting For Four Or Five Years
Prev12
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 255.11
Oct 18 2019 04:17pm
Quote (Cummies @ Oct 18 2019 05:53pm)
Which is fine, but he never said wat the goal was,

To drive it?

Its fine until he put that huge douchebag muffler on it
Gold: 0.00
Oct 18 2019 06:04pm
Quote (Cummies @ Oct 18 2019 04:53pm)
Which is fine, but he never said wat the goal was,

To drive it?

Turning it from an old autoXing car to a daily driver, need the car for mpg
Banned
Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
Warn: 20%
Oct 20 2019 11:22pm
Quote (eMptyBox @ Oct 18 2019 05:04pm)
Turning it from an old autoXing car to a daily driver, need the car for mpg

the boot your talking about, is that the axle? if so, id check power steering, rack n pinion, make sure theyre all good, and replace that axle.
if the brake pads or rotors have ever been replaced, id get down there and pull the calipers, and check to see if any of the pistons are seized. (you wouldnt even be able to tell the brakes arent doing theyre job if only 1 piston is seized, unless your a reallll good mechanic and pay attention to your hubs and the wear on rotors)
definitely would drop the gas tank and/or siphon the gas out if its been sitting that long, definitely need a oil change, not too sure about trans fluid. i just heard if the cars been sitting for more than 2 months, definitely change your oil.
if you can do it yourself, or have the funds for a dealership/speed shop, id get the valves adjusted and lashed.
i believe 100-120k u want to do the water pump too, along with thermostat.
Id probably replace the Dizzy, wires, plugs also.

thats all i can think of for now, on the top of my head. goodluck.
Oct 20 2019 11:26pm
Quote (ZeaL0RDeaL @ Oct 21 2019 12:22am)
the boot your talking about, is that the axle? if so, id check power steering, rack n pinion, make sure theyre all good, and replace that axle.
if the brake pads or rotors have ever been replaced, id get down there and pull the calipers, and check to see if any of the pistons are seized. (you wouldnt even be able to tell the brakes arent doing theyre job if only 1 piston is seized, unless your a reallll good mechanic and pay attention to your hubs and the wear on rotors)
definitely would drop the gas tank and/or siphon the gas out if its been sitting that long, definitely need a oil change, not too sure about trans fluid. i just heard if the cars been sitting for more than 2 months, definitely change your oil.
if you can do it yourself, or have the funds for a dealership/speed shop, id get the valves adjusted and lashed.
i believe 100-120k u want to do the water pump too, along with thermostat.
Id probably replace the Dizzy, wires, plugs also.

thats all i can think of for now, on the top of my head. goodluck.

it might be the axel. i have to go check ive been out of town for few weeks.

good idea, ill have to clean and re-grease the calipers.

yeah i had been thinking i need to syphon that gas out asap... not sure how (will check youtube)

what do you mean by valves adjusted and lashed?? and the Dizzy?

Thanks for the epic response
Banned
Oct 20 2019 11:30pm
Quote (eMptyBox @ Oct 20 2019 10:26pm)
it might be the axel. i have to go check ive been out of town for few weeks.

good idea, ill have to clean and re-grease the calipers.

yeah i had been thinking i need to syphon that gas out asap... not sure how (will check youtube)

what do you mean by valves adjusted and lashed?? and the Dizzy?

Thanks for the epic response

Distributor, the Wires, and the Spark Plugs. should probably do that, i believe that needs to be done at 70kish?
if the cars been sitting for a long time, i doubt the old owner got to the maintenance.

the valves under the valve cover, when they start to tick *you may need acute hearing, minor ticking included*, you want to have them adjusted, or as the dealership like to call it Valve Lash Adjustment. especially on those high revving VTEC Engine, makes a hugeeeee difference, almost night and day
between the engine running healthy, and the valves ticking.
Oct 20 2019 11:47pm
Quote (ZeaL0RDeaL @ Oct 21 2019 12:30am)
Distributor, the Wires, and the Spark Plugs. should probably do that, i believe that needs to be done at 70kish?
if the cars been sitting for a long time, i doubt the old owner got to the maintenance.

the valves under the valve cover, when they start to tick *you may need acute hearing, minor ticking included*, you want to have them adjusted, or as the dealership like to call it Valve Lash Adjustment. especially on those high revving VTEC Engine, makes a hugeeeee difference, almost night and day
between the engine running healthy, and the valves ticking.

do you mean like the piston valves to prevent knocking?

thanks for clarification(s)

This post was edited by eMptyBox on Oct 20 2019 11:47pm
Banned
Oct 20 2019 11:57pm
Quote (eMptyBox @ Oct 20 2019 10:47pm)
do you mean like the piston valves to prevent knocking?

thanks for clarification(s)

the valves in the head, i.e rocker arm assembly.
im not suuuuuper mechanically inclined, so i cant explain it well, but you can look it up on google, just type in B16A2 Valve Adjustment.
this is a literal description of it.

What is a valve adjustment for?
What is a valve adjustment? The valve mechanism (push rod, lifter, and rocker arm assembly) is adjusted so that the lash has the proper clearance necessary to regulate the opening and closing of the valve. If the lash clearance is too great, it will affect the engine's airflow and will eventually lead to valve damage.
Banned
Oct 20 2019 11:58pm
Quote (ZeaL0RDeaL @ Oct 20 2019 10:57pm)
the valves in the head, i.e rocker arm assembly.
im not suuuuuper mechanically inclined, so i cant explain it well, but you can look it up on google, just type in B16A2 Valve Adjustment.
this is a literal description of it.

What is a valve adjustment for?
What is a valve adjustment? The valve mechanism (push rod, lifter, and rocker arm assembly) is adjusted so that the lash has the proper clearance necessary to regulate the opening and closing of the valve. If the lash clearance is too great, it will affect the engine's airflow and will eventually lead to valve damage.

if you dont know what your doing, just take it to a dealer, speed shop that has experience.
its a tedious task, if you do it wrong, your engine will run like dogshit lol.
Go Back To Motor Sports & Cars Topic List
Prev12
Add Reply New Topic New Poll