d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Disk Encryption
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 4,230.00
Sep 27 2019 01:22pm
Are there any programs that partition encrypt and I can use dd to copy the encrypted partition to another drive in another system. Basically encryption without relying on hardware.

This post was edited by kasey21 on Sep 27 2019 01:22pm
Gold: 10,655.00
Sep 27 2019 03:01pm

I dunno what you're referring to when you say dd, but check these out...

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/best-hard-drive-encryption-software-windows
Sep 27 2019 03:38pm
Quote (kasey21 @ Sep 27 2019 03:22pm)
Are there any programs that partition encrypt and I can use dd to copy the encrypted partition to another drive in another system. Basically encryption without relying on hardware.

Personally, (if you want to be able to move the encrypted partition, I would use 7zip. It allows 256-AES encryption and password when creating the archive. And 7zip itself is designed for moving data.

Sep 29 2019 01:11am
Quote (Ghot @ Sep 27 2019 04:01pm)
I dunno what you're referring to when you say dd, but check these out...

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/best-hard-drive-encryption-software-windows

dd command. creates a sector by sector copy. so i can create an image of computer using:
dd if=/dev/[partition] of=/external_drive/name.img
and then I can copy that image onto a different using the exact same command.
However, most encryption uses tpm chip or uses ID numbers on motherboard to encrypt. So if you copy the partition to a new system, you won't be able to unlock the encryption because it's different hardware.

The issue is that our images of our computers have proprietary software on them and we need to ship them so want to have something like bitlocker on all of them. But bitlocker uses hardware to encrypt so it's not transferable.
Gold: 3,575.00
Nov 2 2019 09:33pm
Quote (kasey21 @ Sep 29 2019 03:11am)
dd command. creates a sector by sector copy. so i can create an image of computer using:
However, most encryption uses tpm chip or uses ID numbers on motherboard to encrypt. So if you copy the partition to a new system, you won't be able to unlock the encryption because it's different hardware.

The issue is that our images of our computers have proprietary software on them and we need to ship them so want to have something like bitlocker on all of them. But bitlocker uses hardware to encrypt so it's not transferable.

I'm misunderstanding somewhere. You're shipping a computer that has drive encryption but can't use bitlocker because it's attached to that specified hard drive. The transferable part is what's confusing me.
Gold: 18,352.00
Nov 3 2019 06:42pm
Quote (kasey21 @ Sep 29 2019 02:11am)

yes most that encrypt drives, but winrar/7zip do not as its not for encrypting drives, just loose files.
once the partition has been saved as an image file it be encrypted by said software and moved anywhere.
Nov 5 2019 10:58pm
Quote (Cocoo @ Nov 2 2019 09:33pm)
I'm misunderstanding somewhere. You're shipping a computer that has drive encryption but can't use bitlocker because it's attached to that specified hard drive. The transferable part is what's confusing me.

I'm making an image file of the windows partition of my laptop. This laptop needs to be encrypted with something like bitlocker. Then this image file will be copied onto hardware identical systems somewhere else. The encryption/bitlocker needs to be able to be unlocked on the new system.
Nov 5 2019 11:22pm
Quote (kasey21 @ Nov 5 2019 11:58pm)
I'm making an image file of the windows partition of my laptop. This laptop needs to be encrypted with something like bitlocker. Then this image file will be copied onto hardware identical systems somewhere else. The encryption/bitlocker needs to be able to be unlocked on the new system.

Acronis True Image Home....makes encrypted backups (aka, Windows partition images)
Go Back To Computers & IT Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll