d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Programming & Development > Automating Large Custom Windows Installs
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 2,971.74
Trader: Mediator
Sep 23 2019 03:47pm
Hey guys,

I'm currently using Python to an exe for my scripts to install about 15 custom deployments requiring installer fields to be stalled out, interaction with browsers etc.

The caveat is that I have to use screenshots to scan the pages to do this and verify windows. This works great if I always have the same scaling on the PC's, but I deal with three different resolutions for these installs.

I can make screenshots and scan for a scaling option, but I'm looking to future proof this more than make a workaround.

I was told powershell may work better, but I don't know if it can do custom fields in installers (database installations), or interact with custom web pages..

Any of you guys have experience with this?

Currently using: pyautogui, pygetwindow, python32 as my libraries.
Gold: 9,000.00
Oct 14 2019 11:49pm
How many PCs we talking about? You could always set up a server with WDS?

(Not sure what kind of webpages you mean)

With wds you can create custom image with everything
Installed and deploy it super fast

This post was edited by ehmmkay on Oct 14 2019 11:51pm
Oct 16 2019 09:07am
Quote (ehmmkay @ Oct 14 2019 11:49pm)
How many PCs we talking about? You could always set up a server with WDS?

(Not sure what kind of webpages you mean)

With wds you can create custom image with everything
Installed and deploy it super fast

Sorry I forgot to get back to you here.

I'm deploying 400 computers. I've been flashing premade drives prior, but this runs into licensing issue and overlapping hardware IDs. I can't do this as well because I have to downgrade to windows 7, upgrade to windows 10, wipe the windows 10, and install windows 10 fresh on a newly partitioned drive. I think I'd run into the restrictions with custom databases here as well, but I'm not well versed with WDS. I guess I could do the auto-installers that don't require set up, but these units are in remote areas with limited service (using mobile networks) and they may take longer than we'd like to grab the deployment updates initially.
Oct 16 2019 09:12am
Quote (Candyzcanes @ Oct 16 2019 05:07pm)
Sorry I forgot to get back to you here.

I'm deploying 400 computers. I've been flashing premade drives prior, but this runs into licensing issue and overlapping hardware IDs. I can't do this as well because I have to downgrade to windows 7, upgrade to windows 10, wipe the windows 10, and install windows 10 fresh on a newly partitioned drive. I think I'd run into the restrictions with custom databases here as well, but I'm not well versed with WDS. I guess I could do the auto-installers that don't require set up, but these units are in remote areas with limited service (using mobile networks) and they may take longer than we'd like to grab the deployment updates initially.

in WDS you just prepare a non-licensed windows image with all the software you need / want, together with updates etc.

Then you have a license server running to provide licenses for them over the network and then use WSUS to deploy windows updates in the future :)

This post was edited by ehmmkay on Oct 16 2019 09:13am
Oct 16 2019 09:13am
Quote (ehmmkay @ Oct 16 2019 09:12am)
in WDS you just prepare a non-licensed windows image with all the software you need / want, together with updates etc.

Then you have a license server running to provide licenses for them over the network and then use WSUS to deploy windows updates in the future :)

Hmm, interesting. I'll check this out. Thanks a bunch!
Oct 16 2019 09:13am
Quote (Candyzcanes @ Oct 16 2019 05:13pm)
Hmm, interesting. I'll check this out. Thanks a bunch!

then you just connect the laptops to the network and boot up on ethernet cable, then PXEboot should take care of the rest :)

Go Back To Programming & Development Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll