d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Computer Building > Need A Desktop Pc Built > Budget: $1k. Schoolwork, Storage, Movies
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 8,221.76
Sep 7 2019 11:20pm
Budget: Around $1000.
More specific use (what games, what programs): Just want a new computer that has more recent parts. Old build is from 2012 or so.
Planned time until purchase: Within 1 to 4 weeks
Do you need an Operating System?: No.
Do you have any specific preferred components?: Prefer Intel CPU, a mid tower case, Samsung 1tb M.2 SSD, 1 extra HDD any brand for storage with good price for size around 4tb extra. USB 3.0 for all usb slots. Case with room for at least 3 HDD and 1 M.2 slot for ssd
Do you need a sound or wireless card?: No.
Do you want stock cooling or do you plan on overclocking?: Aftermarket CPU fan would be nice, nothing too crazy. I don't plan on OC but would be nice to have the option available.
Do you need a monitor? mouse? keyboard?: None are needed.
Zip code/location? (Shipping costs): Florida

I won't be planning on doing mail in rebates.
I already have a sound card and an AMD 270x GPU that I can use.

I made a build, but really have not been looking into any recent PC parts in a long time, just an idea: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Zhjq6s

Can completely ignore the build I made, sorta just threw stuff together just guessing.

Thanks for any suggestions and help!

This post was edited by noob_whacker on Sep 7 2019 11:23pm
Gold: 10,655.00
Sep 8 2019 01:23am
Quote (noob_whacker @ Sep 8 2019 01:20am)
Budget: Around $1000.
More specific use (what games, what programs): Just want a new computer that has more recent parts. Old build is from 2012 or so.
Planned time until purchase: Within 1 to 4 weeks
Do you need an Operating System?: No.
Do you have any specific preferred components?: Prefer Intel CPU, a mid tower case, Samsung 1tb M.2 SSD, 1 extra HDD any brand for storage with good price for size around 4tb extra. USB 3.0 for all usb slots. Case with room for at least 3 HDD and 1 M.2 slot for ssd
Do you need a sound or wireless card?: No.
Do you want stock cooling or do you plan on overclocking?: Aftermarket CPU fan would be nice, nothing too crazy. I don't plan on OC but would be nice to have the option available.
Do you need a monitor? mouse? keyboard?: None are needed.
Zip code/location? (Shipping costs): Florida

I won't be planning on doing mail in rebates.
I already have a sound card and an AMD 270x GPU that I can use.

I made a build, but really have not been looking into any recent PC parts in a long time, just an idea: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Zhjq6s

Can completely ignore the build I made, sorta just threw stuff together just guessing.

Thanks for any suggestions and help!

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/CmKNLJ
Gold: 108,225.11
Warn: 10%
Gold: 0.00
Sep 10 2019 06:04pm
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KDVQ3b
An alternate AMD build. Intel isn't leaps ahead of AMD like they were previously, AMD has caught up to Intel for the most part, and is still beating them price wise and bringing more innovation and features.
You can spend the extra $70 on a samsung NVME drive if you really want but unless you doing video editing or something, you won't be able to notice a performance difference in real world use.
I selected a motherboard that's a bit more on the expensive side but it includes both the better audio codec (ALC 1220) for better sound, and built in wireless (both wifi and bluetooth); in my experience bluetooth is actually incredibly convenient, and wireless can still be used to stream to a smart TV even if your primary internet connection is wired. Just leaves a lot more options for connectivity on the table.
I included a GFX card because it can nearly fit in the budget; it's not necessary though. It would be around twice the graphics performance on average as your current card, but if you don't really game it won't matter.
Good airflow and build quality case that's easy to assemble your parts in.
Strong PSU that will be able to handle a lot more than what your current build requires.

TBH if you don't game or do any workstation tasks (any time of editing, rendering, or heavy computations), you honestly shouldn't need an upgrade; the ol' don't fix what's not broken.
Gold: 18,352.00
Nov 29 2019 09:50pm
Its about the same as if you bought those parts.
Thing is the cpu is dated, the mobo is shit, low speed memory, random psu.
They lure you in with the case/rgb fans but I wouldn't buy it myself.

Gold: 8,221.76
Nov 30 2019 12:40pm
Quote (King Atrhur @ Nov 29 2019 10:50pm)
Its about the same as if you bought those parts.
Thing is the cpu is dated, the mobo is shit, low speed memory, random psu.
They lure you in with the case/rgb fans but I wouldn't buy it myself.

ok thanks. just wondering about that 1 and if prebuilts have changed at all since past few years. i remember nearly all prebuilts were more expensive or possibly sketchy refurbished parts rumors being used.

but id assume there may be a rare deal in which a prebuilt may be better deal.
Go Back To Computer Building Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll