d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Windows 10 And Dwm.exe
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 3,840.00
Sep 6 2019 11:36am
Just trying to get confirmation on this issue I've been having with this awesome OS.

I have a two monitor setup, one is 144 hz (main screen, obviously), the other is 60 hz (secondary).
When I try to play in windowed mode (usually Borderless), the main monitor works perfectly fine. When I have something on the second screen, suddenly the main monitor is limited to 60 fps.

So what I've gathered so far is that if you have activity on both screens, dwm.exe forces v-sync, choosing the lower frequency monitor's rate, and then forces it on both screens. Leaving me with a 144hz monitor, acting as if it was 60hz. The only workaround I can find is use the actual full screen mode, but drawback is alt tabbing is a pain the ass, especially when streaming, or whatever.

In the past, (windows 7) this was also an issue with the Aero themes, but was easily disabled. It looks as if there is no way to reliably disable it in windows 10.

I have tried doing the steps I found on this page: https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/6ranln/is_it_worth_disabling_dwm_desktop_composition_for/ but to no avail.

Does anyone else have any experience with this problem?

By the looks of it, my only options are to: A: deal with it; or B: purchase a second 144hz monitor.
Gold: 18,352.00
Sep 6 2019 11:37am
Well you know your options, that's the good news.
Go Back To Computers & IT Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll