d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > International > Nederlands > Visiting Amsterdam
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Retired Moderator
Gold: 111.25
Trader: Trusted
Sep 2 2019 04:19pm
Hello guys, first of all iam sorry that this topic is in english but i thought that this is the best place to post my question.

Iam looking forward to visit Amsterdam with my wife very soon, as a birthday surprise. Based on my experience, visiting other countries/cities can be really stresful if you dont know where to go.
So i thought i better ask you guys, which places do you recommend? We will driving with our car from Germany, iam about 5 hours away from Amsterdam, we have two kids so we are not going to sleep there.
Do you recommend also visiting other cities, for example Den Haag or is Amsterdam enough?

Thank you very much!

This post was edited by Herolinda on Sep 2 2019 04:20pm
Banned
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 20%
Sep 2 2019 05:02pm
As someone who lived in Amsterdam I'd avoid it and go to Maastricht. More beautiful and less crowded.

Amsterdam is overcrowded, lots of pickpockets and tourist traps.

Limburg province is where it's at. Especially Maastricht.
Gold: 1,015.69
Sep 3 2019 11:09am
Hey Herolinda!
No problems posting in English, we got good education here, just like Germany i guess :)

Anyway i somewhat agree with Cat, Amsterdam is a fun, but somewhat weird place to visit for tourists. Most come for the coffeeshops and since you have your kids and wife with you, that's not the prupose on your visit there.
However, Anne Frank Museaum, Leidsche Plein and "de Grachten" are nice to visit!

I would visit Utrecht over Maastricht, it's located more central Netherlands. "De oude gracht" has a nice shopping centre and alot of nice cafe's you can do a cola with your kids.
Maastricht is nice tho, but a 2-3hour ride from Amsterdam.
If you want to visit the beach and a nice City, Den Haag .. The Hague, is a nice place to visit. Maybe visit a family musical there, alot present in The Hague.

Conclusion: visit Utrecht and The Hague.
Good luck,maybe when you are in Holland, we might bump into eachother ;)
Gold: 23.69
Sep 3 2019 02:26pm
den haag is nice! rotterdam too! been there alot and i like it
amsterdam? not sure.. have been there like 3 times and every time i feel like a tourist in my own country.. kinda weird
but amsterdam why not? theres alot of cool stuff to see for sure

This post was edited by trader on Sep 3 2019 02:27pm
Retired Moderator
Gold: 111.25
Trader: Trusted
Sep 4 2019 04:51am
Lasagnacat: Thank you very much for your recommendation sir.

UCALL: I do know for sure that you guys are very very well educated, especially when it comes to the english language. I have never met a dutch who couldnt speak fluent english, you guys must have pretty good schools there!
You are absolutely right, the coffeeshops are not really something that we like, i kinda picked Amsterdam to have a nice walk, to take a few nice pictures, to eat something and then heading back to Germany. Thank you for the three places you recommended within Amsterdam.
Maastricht is actually way closer to the place where i live, Maastricht is 360km away, while Amsterdam is close to 500. Its worth thinking about it.
Den Haag is also something i would like to see. Thank you very much for your suggestion. Wold be a pleasure :)

Trader: I got three opinions so far and i do recognize that Amsterdam is not really that special. Thanks sir!
Gold: 100.00
Sep 4 2019 09:29am
Quote (Herolinda @ 3 Sep 2019 00:19)
Hello guys, first of all iam sorry that this topic is in english but i thought that this is the best place to post my question.

Iam looking forward to visit Amsterdam with my wife very soon, as a birthday surprise. Based on my experience, visiting other countries/cities can be really stresful if you dont know where to go.
So i thought i better ask you guys, which places do you recommend? We will driving with our car from Germany, iam about 5 hours away from Amsterdam, we have two kids so we are not going to sleep there.
Do you recommend also visiting other cities, for example Den Haag or is Amsterdam enough?

Thank you very much!

There are so many cities that are far more interesting than Amsterdam, unless you like hookers and weed, than Amsterdam is your place.

I would strongly advice you to visit the Red Light district (even if you're not into hookers) as it is probably one of the most unique places in Amsterdam. There are some squares and statues that are of interest, but everything is very very touristy and not really authentic.

Cities like Dordrecht, Delft, Gouda offer more in terms of dutch history. Places like Giethorn, Kinderdijk and Volendam could be very nice stops along the way because they offer something very unique.
Gold: 170.00
Sep 4 2019 09:36am
Quote (Hellskin @ 4 Sep 2019 17:29)
There are so many cities that are far more interesting than Amsterdam, unless you like hookers and weed, than Amsterdam is your place.

This. clearly.

Amsterdam sucks. its overhyped, people are rude and loud and think they can do anything in that city.
The only dutch people you will see in Amsterdam either became rasist due to all the tourists ruining "there city", or work in prostitution.

Long story short; visit other cities.

I agree with Hellskin about Gouda/Delft which are typical from Holland. If you want a more diverse look from the country, i advise you to go more southern and check out some cities in Brabant / Limburg, or the bottom of Gelderland. And, tbh i think you will be more happy over there.

And. If i would be you, and you go south, take the belgium city Antwerpen with it. <-- this is basicly what you should do instead of anything else
Go Back To Nederlands Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll