d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Science, Technology & Nature > The Fermi Paradox > Highly Recommend Reading This
Prev12345Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 2,673.25
Dec 5 2019 08:22am
Quote (Vivi369 @ Dec 4 2019 10:00pm)
He said I needed 10, he gave me 100 lol

Welcome back to jsp.....errrr I mean welcome to jsp? Lol
Gold: 100.00
Dec 6 2019 03:41pm
Quote (Zepllica @ Dec 5 2019 09:22am)

Welcome, and thank you :)
Gold: 4.20
Warn: 40%
Dec 8 2019 02:04pm
I had a thought process the other day and i can't seem to find any answers online.

Our closest neighbors, Andromeda is 2.5 million light years away. So, say we had a telescope powerful enough to zoom in on an earth like planet. Around a sun like ours.
With the same variables that produced life here. Call it Planet Andromeda Earth

What we would/could be observing is at best information that is 2.5 million years old.

Our species didn't even exist 2.5 million years ago.

To observe present day Planet Andromeda Earth we would need to wait 2.5 million years.

Am i taking the wrong approach here or is that not a glaring hole in the fermi paradox which is often overlooked?

Given this frame of reference every observation made beyond Andromeda becomes cosmic time scales. Becoming more and more unrealistic to even observe present day.

The main argument being that if planet X, Y, Z had more development time than earth, yet still no signs of life. We still couldn't even perceive such development.

To put that into perspective. If you were now an observer looking at Earth from Planet Andromeda Earth.

We would see what we would understand as sentient intelligent life forms.

However they still haven't even fractured the atom yet, so in terms of "human level or greater" intelligence, we would say we are alone still in the universe.

Even if only 1 such planet exists in each galaxy, or 1 in ever 10, 100, 1000

Life must exist on other planets. Some of which may have achieved type 2 civ.

We just cannot observe present day.

Even our own galaxy spans far enough to cycle through 10 x our development from pre civ humans to today.

An earth like planet at the opposite end of us would only see our earth 100 millenia ago.

Our closest stellar neighbor is 4 years and a few months in the past.

Just something to think about.

Dec 9 2019 10:10pm
Quote (Zepllica @ Dec 5 2019 10:22am)

I think if we had a telescope that could zoom in all the way from our earth, what we would see on said planet would be in real time. The light that reaches us from Andromeda, and all the information contained within it, would be as old as the distance it traveled.

So, sitting on our planet looking up, we see what is being transmitted to us 2.5 million years after it first emitted light. But the telescope that could 'zoom in' as you suggested, would be transversing that distance negating it and therefore we would be watching in real time what was happening on said planet.

This post was edited by Zepllica on Dec 9 2019 10:11pm
Gold: 4.20
Warn: 40%
Dec 13 2019 11:14am
Quote (Zepllica @ Dec 9 2019 09:10pm)
I think if we had a telescope that could zoom in all the way from our earth, what we would see on said planet would be in real time. The light that reaches us from Andromeda, and all the information contained within it, would be as old as the distance it traveled.

So, sitting on our planet looking up, we see what is being transmitted to us 2.5 million years after it first emitted light. But the telescope that could 'zoom in' as you suggested, would be transversing that distance negating it and therefore we would be watching in real time what was happening on said planet.

Found this video that explains what i was saying a bit more. Seems that the conclusion was the same.
Gold: 336.86
Dec 20 2019 11:01am
Universe too young

There is no sole 'great filter' but more smaller milestones as checkpoints for the species to overcome. If they cannot overcome, the species tops out in its advancement at that point.

Only a few type 2's right now.

Quote (Chuu @ Sep 3 2019 02:37pm)
Intelligent life only appears if god deems it so

Quote (Chuu @ Sep 5 2019 11:01pm)
that was just me flexing a little bit of science

yikes.

Quote (Zepllica @ Dec 9 2019 11:10pm)

Zooming in is a light trick to manipulate the light that reaches your lens to make it bigger.

Light has to reach the camera lens/telescope lens for you to see it. Your telescope doesnt magically reach out 2.5 million light years and grab the light/image and pull it back to you faster than the speed of light for you to see

lol

This post was edited by IroningTheMaiden on Dec 20 2019 11:09am
Dec 20 2019 11:26am
Quote (IroningTheMaiden @ Dec 20 2019 01:01pm)
Universe too young

There is no sole 'great filter' but more smaller milestones as checkpoints for the species to overcome. If they cannot overcome, the species tops out in its advancement at that point.

Only a few type 2's right now.

yikes.

Zooming in is a light trick to manipulate the light that reaches your lens to make it bigger.

Light has to reach the camera lens/telescope lens for you to see it. Your telescope doesnt magically reach out 2.5 million light years and grab the light/image and pull it back to you faster than the speed of light for you to see

lol

Oh. Haha. Fine then.

But what about the zoom on my camera? That's real time and just simply zooming in isn't it?

I don't get it lol.

This post was edited by Zepllica on Dec 20 2019 11:27am
Gold: 336.86
Dec 20 2019 12:07pm
Quote (Zepllica @ Dec 20 2019 12:26pm)
Oh. Haha. Fine then.

But what about the zoom on my camera? That's real time and just simply zooming in isn't it?

I don't get it lol.

In that situation the lens expanding is creating more space for the camera hardware to make the light to stretch and to make the picture bigger i.e zoom in more. That is basically what it is doing.

Think about how a magnifying glass can zoom in a little bit. Well your camera lens extruding more is essentially in effect adding more magnifying glass lenses over your eye to zoom in more :)
Dec 20 2019 12:26pm
Quote (IroningTheMaiden @ Dec 20 2019 02:07pm)
In that situation the lens expanding is creating more space for the camera hardware to make the light to stretch and to make the picture bigger i.e zoom in more. That is basically what it is doing.

Think about how a magnifying glass can zoom in a little bit. Well your camera lens extruding more is essentially in effect adding more magnifying glass lenses over your eye to zoom in more :)

Ahhh okay. I see it now. Literally.
Gold: 10,800.00
Jan 11 2020 11:17am
Quote (Poonisher @ 8 Dec 2019 20:04)
I had a thought process the other day and i can't seem to find any answers online.

Our closest neighbors, Andromeda is 2.5 million light years away. So, say we had a telescope powerful enough to zoom in on an earth like planet. Around a sun like ours.
With the same variables that produced life here. Call it Planet Andromeda Earth

What we would/could be observing is at best information that is 2.5 million years old.

Our species didn't even exist 2.5 million years ago.

To observe present day Planet Andromeda Earth we would need to wait 2.5 million years.

Am i taking the wrong approach here or is that not a glaring hole in the fermi paradox which is often overlooked?

Given this frame of reference every observation made beyond Andromeda becomes cosmic time scales. Becoming more and more unrealistic to even observe present day.

The main argument being that if planet X, Y, Z had more development time than earth, yet still no signs of life. We still couldn't even perceive such development.

To put that into perspective. If you were now an observer looking at Earth from Planet Andromeda Earth.

We would see what we would understand as sentient intelligent life forms.

However they still haven't even fractured the atom yet, so in terms of "human level or greater" intelligence, we would say we are alone still in the universe.

Even if only 1 such planet exists in each galaxy, or 1 in ever 10, 100, 1000

Life must exist on other planets. Some of which may have achieved type 2 civ.

We just cannot observe present day.

Even our own galaxy spans far enough to cycle through 10 x our development from pre civ humans to today.

An earth like planet at the opposite end of us would only see our earth 100 millenia ago.

Our closest stellar neighbor is 4 years and a few months in the past.

Just something to think about.

Read that post carefully u idiots,

This guy knows what’s up.
Go Back To Science, Technology & Nature Topic List
Prev12345Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll