d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Gf Of 5 Years Left Me For The Church > Lds
Prev134567Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: Locked
Warn: 80%
Aug 21 2019 01:09pm
Quote (TransTankie @ 21 Aug 2019 12:02)
I mean it's pretty ignorant to tear families apart based on a belief with no rational justification.

I don't care about the beliefs. I care about the actions. And Johos fit the BITE model. They're a harmful cult.

People always make the claim those who are recruited are basically brainwashed which for the most part I disagree with

Without all the facts and knowing what's in a person's heart it's impossible to have an unbiased opinion of stuff like this

Now I'm certainly not denying cult or false beliefs exist I simply hate the player not the game so to speak

I have been exposed to as much nonsense as any other and I CHOOSE not to believe

To turn around and say it's the church fault is poor reasoning
Gold: 28,296.69
Aug 21 2019 01:15pm
Quote (death_knight @ Aug 21 2019 12:09pm)
People always make the claim those who are recruited are basically brainwashed which for the most part I disagree with

Without all the facts and knowing what's in a person's heart it's impossible to have an unbiased opinion of stuff like this

Now I'm certainly not denying cult or false beliefs exist I simply hate the player not the game so to speak

I have been exposed to as much nonsense as any other and I CHOOSE not to believe

To turn around and say it's the church fault is poor reasoning

disregard all the good and exaggerate all the bad

Tankie will be 40 and still be posting as a cringey atheist
Gold: 0.00
Aug 21 2019 01:35pm
Quote (Beowulf @ 21 Aug 2019 20:15)
disregard all the good and exaggerate all the bad

Tankie will be 40 and still be posting as a cringey atheist

And when you're 60 you'll still be defnending the 'moderate conservatives' as they use your people for target practice.
Aug 21 2019 01:42pm
Quote (TransTankie @ Aug 21 2019 12:35pm)
And when you're 60 you'll still be defnending the 'moderate conservatives' as they use your people for target practice.

moderate conservatives largely agree with me on police abuse, self defense, guns, and are against violence and they don't support using citizens as target practice

they largely see the drug war as the failure it was and largely are becoming more and more against cages and unnecessary wars and conflicts

I'm a liberal that is capable of taking a win so I take it
Gold: 14.88
Aug 22 2019 03:31pm
Mormons are good people. My theory is that the small side of the church and most people seeing them as cultist and outsiders helped create an environment that heavily stressed a close community. Tack that on to the commitment to scripture the reinforce this, and the monetary investment required placing more aspects into one's commitment to the church, and it's easy to see why they do so well spiritually.

As a Catholic in New York, the group was far to open, large and diverse. There wasn't much of an emphasis on a Catholic community, most people went on Sunday and on holidays and threw a dollar into the collection plate, but participation seemed to be dominated by elderly women in need of a social experience. If your faith doesn't carry a strong social aspect to it, it won't be effective in promoting spiritual health in a community. I want to read some books about religion and community at some point when I get around to it, but I'm in one of my aversion to reading phases (I alternate between never picking up a book and only reading as a means of media consumption).

Religion can really help a relationship last longer. Religious families are typically much more stable than those residing in secular households. If you care for someone, you should try to embrace their spiritual growth. It's important to respect the restrictions they place on themselves and their actions as well. Personally, I wish I could find faith, since I envy the benefits of living a spiritually healthy life.

As a final rambling side note to tack onto my rambling side notes, I used to meet a lot of girls who said they weren't religious but were spiritual and hated organized religion. It always made me role my eyes, but I never really understood why such a stance bothered me. Now I think I see that it's about cheating oneself. Spirituality is meaningless without restrictions on human nature. Religion demands one overcome their base instinct to become a better person. And opposing organized religion removes the entire social benefit of faith. If you're only in it for spirituality, you're selfishly seeking your own spiritual relief (and you typically won't even find it). Religion, in my opinion, exists for the betterment of people, family and communities. And they all should work together to reinforce positive moral behavior.
Aug 22 2019 03:41pm
Quote (Beowulf @ Aug 21 2019 12:06pm)
let's not pretend these groups are Scientology

they aren't that extreme they aren't tearing families apart settle down with your extreme exaggerations all the time

mormons and witnesses are all over the place and everyone generally does fine

LDS and Mormons tear families apart when part believes and part doesn't. That's no exaggeration.
Gold: 22,202.22
Aug 22 2019 06:48pm
Quote (TransTankie @ Aug 20 2019 05:51pm)
I'm sorry dude. Mormonism is a cancerous cult. It's always sad when it claims a victim... even more so when it's a loved one.

wow, i actually agree with you for once...

Quote (Beowulf @ Aug 21 2019 08:25am)
When it comes to personal faith and religion of another that isnt much of my business but when it comes to members of an organization I've never seen members of a group more consistent in their values and commitment to helping than people of that church/belief

I've seen them at the schools and around many different communities and helping people at their homes. Mighty fine people

But they are the type to help where help is needed not throw a milkshake at them and run away laughing while hiding under a mask so you wouldn't much understand

brainwashed people are the most malleable. successful cults generally present themselves as nice, caring people. you dont recruit people by being a dick to them.

Aug 22 2019 06:57pm
Quote (ReturnFormer @ Aug 22 2019 05:48pm)
wow, i actually agree with you for once...

brainwashed people are the most malleable. successful cults generally present themselves as nice, caring people. you dont recruit people by being a dick to them.

I don't see the religious as brainwashed cults and I don't assume decent people being kind have ulterior and malicious motives

Gold: 22,202.22
Aug 22 2019 07:27pm
Quote (Beowulf @ Aug 22 2019 08:57pm)
I don't see the religious as brainwashed cults and I don't assume decent people being kind have ulterior and malicious motives

mormonism is a cult. the followers are almost certainly brainwashed, or theyd never believe that nonsense. when people in a cult are kind to you, you should definitely question their motives.
Aug 22 2019 07:30pm
Quote (ReturnFormer @ Aug 22 2019 06:27pm)
mormonism is a cult. the followers are almost certainly brainwashed, or theyd never believe that nonsense. when people in a cult are kind to you, you should definitely question their motives.

I promise you they believe it. Humanity (including you and I) is far more gullible than anyone would like to admit.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev134567Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll