d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate >
Poll > Trump 2020 > Trump Vs. Pack O' Dems
Prev1787788789790791983Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
  Guests cannot view or vote in polls. Please register or login.
Gold: 5,016.77
Dec 4 2020 10:11am
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Dec 4 2020 09:27am)
So you would prefer a party with a consistent ideology and a "sensible" platform that keeps losing election after election and loses more and more institutional power? Do you seriously think that would make for a more healthy party?

Look, I get where you're coming from, I'm fully aware that the GOP was, and perhaps still is, playing with the fire. But they were in a position where they had to take this kind of risk to prevent them from slipping further and further, to the point of irrelevance. This argument was articulated better than I ever could in the following article:
https://claremontreviewofbooks.com/digital/the-flight-93-election/

I think the key point where we're disagreeing is that you think all these Trump voters are angry and full of grievances because they're nasty or stupid people, or hopeless cases left behind by the leftward undertow of modern society, while I think that they're angry for damn good reason. You seem to think that it would be for the best of the country if these people were left without a political home, without proper democratic representation. I think that their issues and grievances have been ignored for far too long, and that they will keep throwing human grenades like Donald Trump at DC until they are heard, truly heard.

The Democratic party and the mainstream media didnt learn their lesson, and they would have been "punished" by a second Trump term if they hadn't been bailed out by a pandemic ex machina. That's perhaps what's frustrating me the most about 2020, from a political point of view: none of the conflicts were truly settled. Trump had proven too erratic and incompetent, so he had to go, but aside from that, the country is back to square one; the outlook are 4 years of stalemate under a lame duck presidency.

My starting point is I want political parties in America that are serious minded. I don't want nutjobs running the show in either party. It's a lot like my starting point with politicians... before we even get to policy, they have to pass a basic standard of seriousness, competence, and character. I can't support a 9/11 truther, a Qanon conspiracy theorist, or an overtly terrible person because they fail the first test.

But I reject the premise of your first point. First, before Trump the GOP wasn't losing election after election. They lost twice to a once-in-a-generation political talent in Barack Obama, but throughout that period did well in elections at both the federal and state level. The GOP won control of the House when Romney lost in 2012 btw. Second, I truly think if the GOP became a more serious party, while perhaps adopting a more compassionate conservative and populist economic policy, they would do much better. Especially considering the excesses of the Democratic party. Maybe motivating the base would drop off because they wouldn't pretend Democrats are evil Commies, but they could make it up in other places(like winning back the suburbs and continuing to win over minorities).

I think that article is garbage but that's a side point.

A lot of Trump voters are nasty and stupid people. Many are deplorable, and every single one deserves some blame for the disastrous last 4 years. Honestly I view the angry Trump supporter almost like a toddler... they are irrationally angry over the reality of life in America today, and lash out by electing a guy to burn everything down. I look at these people as some of the most anti-American voters out there... and their support of Trump trying to steal the election certainly helps my case. They don't love the country, they love the fictional America in their head, free of people who disagree with them or live their lives differently.

That said, if the GOP wants to adopt more populist economic policies to appeal to these people, go for it. But if the question is whether angry, dumb, anti-American individuals should be politically homeless? I would hope so.

This post was edited by IceMage on Dec 4 2020 10:13am
Gold: 4,400.67
Dec 4 2020 12:39pm
Quote (IceMage @ 4 Dec 2020 17:11)
My starting point is I want political parties in America that are serious minded. I don't want nutjobs running the show in either party. It's a lot like my starting point with politicians... before we even get to policy, they have to pass a basic standard of seriousness, competence, and character. I can't support a 9/11 truther, a Qanon conspiracy theorist, or an overtly terrible person because they fail the first test.

That's the old "flawed vessel"-debate. For my part, I believe that even a very flawed person can induce positive political change, particularly when the big picture calls for disruption/change rather than a preservation of the status quo. But that's a subjective question, I can understand that many people see it like you do.

But I reject the premise of your first point. First, before Trump the GOP wasn't losing election after election. They lost twice to a once-in-a-generation political talent in Barack Obama, but throughout that period did well in elections at both the federal and state level. The GOP won control of the House when Romney lost in 2012 btw.

The GOP won the House in 2010, on the heels of the usual anti-incumbent midterm backlash. In 2012, they only held the chamber because of the gerrymanders they put in place after 2010.

Furthermore, I'm not exclusively talking about winning elections, I'm also talking about prevailing on policy. Aside from Wall Street tax cuts and a bloated Pentagon budget, can you name me a single policy issue on which conservatives scored a major win between 1992 and 2016? Can you name me a single policy issue on which Republicans were able to pull public opinion in their direction/make the public adopt the conservative perspective? Can you name me a single field on which the GOP/the conservative movement increased its power in non-public institutions (like e.g. academia or the media) or was otherwise able to chip away at the cultural hegemony of liberalism?

Second, I truly think if the GOP became a more serious party, while perhaps adopting a more compassionate conservative and populist economic policy, they would do much better. Especially considering the excesses of the Democratic party. Maybe motivating the base would drop off because they wouldn't pretend Democrats are evil Commies, but they could make it up in other places(like winning back the suburbs and continuing to win over minorities).

Agreed. I would even go further and say that a skilled communicator with the necessary degree of self-restraint could keep striking the populist tones and voice working-class grievances (in the right dose and the right places) without turning off suburbanites or minorities. Trump was far too crude and abrasive.

A lot of Trump voters are nasty and stupid people. Many are deplorable, and every single one deserves some blame for the disastrous last 4 years. Honestly I view the angry Trump supporter almost like a toddler... they are irrationally angry over the reality of life in America today, and lash out by electing a guy to burn everything down. I look at these people as some of the most anti-American voters out there... and their support of Trump trying to steal the election certainly helps my case. They don't love the country, they love the fictional America in their head, free of people who disagree with them or live their lives differently.

That said, if the GOP wants to adopt more populist economic policies to appeal to these people, go for it. But if the question is whether angry, dumb, anti-American individuals should be politically homeless? I would hope so.

That's a fundamentally undemocratic stance. The central idea of democracy is that everyone, rich and poor, smart and stupid, high-minded and deplorable, gets a voice and a say in the future direction of the shared society. Your attitude reminds me of a famous quote from German writer Bertold Brecht, who mockingly wrote in reference to the East German uprising of 1953 (which was violently suppressed by soviet tanks):

"The people lost the trust of the government. Wouldn't it be easier if the government dissolved the people and elected a new one?"

Honestly I view the angry Trump supporter almost like a toddler... they are irrationally angry over the reality of life in America today

The reality of life in America is the result of the political decisions made in previous decades. For decades, Democrats and Republicans alike were doubling down on deregulatory policies, warmongering, outsourcing and deindustrialization, mass immigration, culture wars and corporatism. None of these things were inevitable, at least not the massive extent to which they took place. On a really high abstraction level, that's the common core of all modern populist movements: the belief that the status quo is not inevitable or without alternative; that the right kind of government could induce a true change of direction.

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Dec 4 2020 12:42pm
Gold: 12,730.67
Dec 4 2020 03:57pm
Quote (excellence @ Dec 3 2020 04:25pm)
shes a crooked cop who will call you a racist one minute and then some sort of civil rights icon the next. that ticks no box. only sociopaths like people like that

AOC is savvier than Kamala could ever dream of being. Although she has a higher chance of becoming disillusioned and burning out before 2024 anyway, especially after we start reupping military escalations in brown countries that didnt bother us if harris/biden get their way.

screw the mainstream media. yeah that’s right i said it. they go with the flow anyway.

AOC is a dumb cunt and you should feel ashamed of giving that spic ass bitch a compliment. Until AOC is smart enough to suck off some negro cock to get ahead, she is dumber than Kamala.
Gold: 12,730.67
Dec 4 2020 04:15pm
Quote (IceMage @ Dec 4 2020 05:35am)
Like I said, I don't view the health of a political party strictly by how well they do electorally. If 4 years of massive incompetence, corruption, and cruelty is rewarded with record turnout... that reveals something dark about American society. The Republican party and right-wing in general in this country the last 4 years has fallen pretty hard. These people are angrier, crazier, and more detached from reality than they were before Trump showed up. So while it's good electorally for Republicans that Trump brought new people out, and did well with Hispanics, it's not a positive indicator for the health of the Republican party, or democracy in general, moving forward.

Trump's support is predicated on his personality cult, negative partisanship, grievance politics, etc. He didn't even run a populist, nationalist campaign this time. How many times did he even bring up immigration or the wall? It was 24/7 grievance and "Dems bad". And it worked.

That's the primary measure of success though. Is it healthy for our country? Absolutely not. It's very clear that the GOP constituency will eat up an insane amount of bullshit and that's more a problem with the American people.

Jindal warned the GOP that they were becoming anti-intellectual and it fell on deaf ears. The Republican Party IS the party of stupid. They are simply giving their constituents what they want.

Quote (Black XistenZ @ Dec 4 2020 06:27am)

I think the key point where we're disagreeing is that you think all these Trump voters are angry and full of grievances because they're nasty or stupid people, or hopeless cases left behind by the leftward undertow of modern society, while I think that they're angry for damn good reason. You seem to think that it would be for the best of the country if these people were left without a political home, without proper democratic representation. I think that their issues and grievances have been ignored for far too long, and that they will keep throwing human grenades like Donald Trump at DC until they are heard, truly heard.

The Democratic party and the mainstream media didnt learn their lesson, and they would have been "punished" by a second Trump term if they hadn't been bailed out by a pandemic ex machina. That's perhaps what's frustrating me the most about 2020, from a political point of view: none of the conflicts were truly settled. Trump had proven too erratic and incompetent, so he had to go, but aside from that, the country is back to square one; the outlook are 4 years of stalemate under a lame duck presidency.

Eh, I disagree. Most of these people ARE nasty and stupid. The same applies to a lot of Democratic voters but that coalition isn't large enough to win elections.

This post was edited by thundercock on Dec 4 2020 04:17pm
Gold: 2,617.52
Dec 4 2020 05:09pm
Quote (thundercock @ Dec 4 2020 04:57pm)
AOC is a dumb cunt and you should feel ashamed of giving that spic ass bitch a compliment. Until AOC is smart enough to suck off some negro cock to get ahead, she is dumber than Kamala.

I missed the classic tcock posts
Dec 4 2020 05:36pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Dec 4 2020 01:39pm)
That's the old "flawed vessel"-debate. For my part, I believe that even a very flawed person can induce positive political change, particularly when the big picture calls for disruption/change rather than a preservation of the status quo. But that's a subjective question, I can understand that many people see it like you do.

It's not simply a flawed vessel debate. It's a question of whether leadership matters, beyond which bills they scribble their name at the bottom of. You and others have made the determination that it doesn't matter how incompetent, corrupt, and horrible a person is... the only thing that ultimately matters is what bills they sign. To me, that's a completely absurd position. That line of thinking excuses almost any behavior from a politician, as we have seen the past 4 years.

The GOP won the House in 2010, on the heels of the usual anti-incumbent midterm backlash. In 2012, they only held the chamber because of the gerrymanders they put in place after 2010.

Furthermore, I'm not exclusively talking about winning elections, I'm also talking about prevailing on policy. Aside from Wall Street tax cuts and a bloated Pentagon budget, can you name me a single policy issue on which conservatives scored a major win between 1992 and 2016? Can you name me a single policy issue on which Republicans were able to pull public opinion in their direction/make the public adopt the conservative perspective? Can you name me a single field on which the GOP/the conservative movement increased its power in non-public institutions (like e.g. academia or the media) or was otherwise able to chip away at the cultural hegemony of liberalism?

The point stands. Even when Romney lost, the GOP won the House. Trump just lost, and they didn't win the House.

I guess it depends how you define wins. Bill Clinton devolved welfare to the states, passed a tough on crime bill, and passed the Defense of Marriage Act. It is kind of funny that these happened under a Democratic president, lol. I would say that Republicans helped lower the deficit under Obama by forcing sequestration.

What's the point here though? Trump passed standard Republican tax cuts and bloated the defense budget. Conservatives haven't gained power in academia, media, or popular culture. In fact, I would argue the conservative or right-wing brand has suffered under Trump, for obvious reasons. He's a uniquely polarizing figure.

Sure, Trump was able to move Republican opinion on things like trade, but I don't think any honest person can say that his trade policy has been a clear success. He's had to bail out farmers because of the trade war.

Also, you're not a social conservative, amirite? So why do you care if the culture is moving left?

That's a fundamentally undemocratic stance. The central idea of democracy is that everyone, rich and poor, smart and stupid, high-minded and deplorable, gets a voice and a say in the future direction of the shared society. Your attitude reminds me of a famous quote from German writer Bertold Brecht, who mockingly wrote in reference to the East German uprising of 1953 (which was violently suppressed by soviet tanks):

"The people lost the trust of the government. Wouldn't it be easier if the government dissolved the people and elected a new one?"

The reality of life in America is the result of the political decisions made in previous decades. For decades, Democrats and Republicans alike were doubling down on deregulatory policies, warmongering, outsourcing and deindustrialization, mass immigration, culture wars and corporatism. None of these things were inevitable, at least not the massive extent to which they took place. On a really high abstraction level, that's the common core of all modern populist movements: the belief that the status quo is not inevitable or without alternative; that the right kind of government could induce a true change of direction.

That seems like a silly viewpoint. So your position is that white supremacists and Black Power individuals deserve a voice in Congress and the White House? It's the job of national leaders to appeal to, as corny as it sounds, "the better angels of our nature". There's views in America that aren't legitimate, and I consider some of the views of the angry Trump cultists to belong in that category.

Putting aside the fact that some of the things you listed are policies that Trump supports... American voters are responsible for the decisions they made. George W Bush deregulated the economy, passed tax cuts, and started two wars, yet he was re-elected. Politicians for years have not done everything they could to control the border, yet were re-elected. Politicians pursued corporate-friendly policies, and were re-elected. These angry Trump supporters need to grow up and take responsibility for the decisions they made. And they also need to recognize that Washington doesn't control the world... some things were basically inevitable, like the culture moving left, or low-skill jobs leaving the United States because of globalization and technological progress.

This post was edited by IceMage on Dec 4 2020 05:38pm
Dec 4 2020 06:27pm
Quote (thundercock @ Dec 4 2020 05:15pm)
That's the primary measure of success though. Is it healthy for our country? Absolutely not. It's very clear that the GOP constituency will eat up an insane amount of bullshit and that's more a problem with the American people.

Jindal warned the GOP that they were becoming anti-intellectual and it fell on deaf ears. The Republican Party IS the party of stupid. They are simply giving their constituents what they want.

Kristi Noem will save us in 2024
Dec 4 2020 06:30pm
Quote (EndlessSky @ Dec 4 2020 07:27pm)
Kristi Noem will save us in 2024

Why don't you pick someone who isn't objectively pro-COVID?
Dec 4 2020 06:32pm
Quote (IceMage @ Dec 4 2020 07:30pm)

Noem's nursing home policies are one of the best in the country.

Wtf my brother?
Gold: 4,400.67
Dec 4 2020 06:56pm
Quote (IceMage @ 5 Dec 2020 01:30)

Who would be your preferred GOP candidate for 2024?
Maybe someone like Nikki Haley or Kasich?
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1787788789790791983Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll