d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Science, Technology & Nature > Investing Into Precious Metals > Thoughts?
Prev13456Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 2,489.69
Sep 17 2019 11:20am
Quote (Hecht55 @ Sep 14 2019 07:01am)
This hypothetical argument isn't worth the time.

We are stuck at a difference of opinion. You think you can hide and sustain yourself. I think there are too many people on the planet for anyone to hold on to any traditional property or home ideology in an end all cataclysmic event.

I'm fine to end on a disagreement in a hypothetical situation. I don't have the time to measure epeens on jsp. Good day chief.

ive said several times its a better chance than city living, and a better survival plan than hoarding gold. i said several times "its about all you can do".

thor is correct, you're not listening.

also, there's this basic contradiction:

Quote (remco6 @ Sep 16 2019 04:28pm)
So which is it? Is almost everyone going to die or will there be billions of people after 1 acre of land?

you only want to end it because you aren't making any sense nor listening. good day indeed, come back whenever.
Gold: 620.79
Sep 17 2019 06:34pm
Quote (thesnipa @ Sep 17 2019 01:20pm)
ive said several times its a better chance than city living, and a better survival plan than hoarding gold. i said several times "its about all you can do".

you only want to end it because you aren't making any sense nor listening. good day indeed, come back whenever.

When did I suggest anyone hoard gold?

I don't necessarily want it to end but have lost interest. We are at a point where nobody will sway the other. I don't think it matters much where you try and settle, your days are numbered. You guys think you can hide in a corner and rest easy.

Because this is not a real scenario, it's all opinion. I've said mine, we're all getting repetitious now and it's boring.
Gold: 2,489.69
Sep 18 2019 01:48pm
Quote (Hecht55 @ Sep 17 2019 07:34pm)
When did I suggest anyone hoard gold?

I don't necessarily want it to end but have lost interest. We are at a point where nobody will sway the other. I don't think it matters much where you try and settle, your days are numbered. You guys think you can hide in a corner and rest easy.

Because this is not a real scenario, it's all opinion. I've said mine, we're all getting repetitious now and it's boring.

Quote (thesnipa @ Sep 17 2019 12:20pm)

how many times do i have to say "its the best you can do" before you get it tho?

i never said anyone could rest easy, you said i said that, then i told you about 5 times that's NOT what im saying at all. here u are continuing with the bullshit lol.

the repetitious thing is your inability to read.
Gold: 620.79
Sep 18 2019 02:33pm
Quote (thesnipa @ Sep 18 2019 03:48pm)
how many times do i have to say "its the best you can do" before you get it tho?

i never said anyone could rest easy, you said i said that, then i told you about 5 times that's NOT what im saying at all. here u are continuing with the bullshit lol.

the repetitious thing is your inability to read.

If we're talking about what's best I'll contest that too because realistically in any type of end all calamity the best thing would be a swift early death. Even if you managed to survive seeing what happens to everyone would without a doubt mess the psychie up hard.
Gold: 252.00
Oct 20 2019 02:47pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ Sep 13 2019 09:15am)
In case anybody thinks metals have inherent value let me tell you a fun fact.

Aluminium used to be way more valuable than gold or silver. Then a way to efficiently refine it was invented and now it's basically worthless. For a while the person who invented the method was the richest person on earth.

There is no inherent value in metals, all it takes is the discovery of a revolutionary refining process or a large enough supply to be found and it becomes effectively worthless

Aluminum still has value. It isn't like air.

If a new refining process brought down the price of gold to a penny an ounce, it would still be an element on the periodic table with special traits that cannot be mimicked by anything else. How people value gold though is subjective.
Gold: 260.11
Oct 20 2019 02:50pm
Quote (Grippster @ Oct 20 2019 03:47pm)
Aluminum still has value. It isn't like air.

If a new refining process brought down the price of gold to a penny an ounce, it would still be an element on the periodic table with special traits that cannot be mimicked by anything else. How people value gold though is subjective.

That's the exact point I was making.
Oct 20 2019 02:52pm
Quote (Hecht55 @ Sep 18 2019 01:33pm)
If we're talking about what's best I'll contest that too because realistically in any type of end all calamity the best thing would be a swift early death. Even if you managed to survive seeing what happens to everyone would without a doubt mess the psychie up hard.

Gold isn't something I would want during a societal breakdown. It is something I want once society is starting to rebuild. Bury it at an undisclosed gps coordinate and dig it back up later. Now you have purchasing power and you can buy the whole town.
Oct 20 2019 03:08pm
Quote (TaoTeChing @ Aug 18 2019 02:56am)
Recently instead of saving money I have been investing it into silver. The reason I’ve been investing 10% of my income into precious metals rather than saving it in the bank is because of inflation. Pre 1964 all us dimes and quarters were minted onto a 90% silver planchette, meaning not only did they have their face value, but they held intrinsic value as their precious metals content equaled it’s face value (a quarter contained 25 cents worth of silver, a dime contained 10 cents worth of silver etc) at that time 25 cents could buy you a gallon of gas, fast forward to today and our money (us fed money) has lost 98% of its purchasing power, meaning a gallon of gas today would cost you around $2.50, however till this day a pre 1964 quarter can buy you a gallon of gas not because of its face value of 25 cents but because of the intrinsic value of the 90% silver content. Therefore I’ve been investing 10% of my income into precious metals because I do not know how I am going to invest it for capital gain at the moment and the longer I wait the more my money loses value if I’m saving via paper currency due to inflation. Now I choose silver of all the precious metals for two reasons, 1. It’s affordable 2. Unlike gold, silver is an industrial metal, specifically in renewable energy (all solar panels contain silver) which is were our world is heading to, so in my opinion, silver will be used at such a high rate that it in time will no longer be affordable or available. What are your guys thoughts am I crazy for not having faith in Uncle Sam? Do you think small junk silver is the better investment for liquidity purposes or kg’s for the lower premiums?

Gold cannot by definition be an investment. An investment has to produce interest or dividends or growth unto of itself in some way. Gold sits there and does nothing. Gold CAN be a speculation or trade. If you have a thesis for the demand for gold increasing you could do well.

Golds best function is as a store if value. It is an anti-investment. It has the lowest risk of any financial instrument we know of, including government bonds. Gold has an impeccable history of maintaining its purchasing power over the long run.
Golds second best function is as an insurance policy. Having redundant gold spread around the world is one of the best ways to protect against economic calamity and war. People will mock this and say no one wants gold in a crisis. But this is only a partial truth. The whole truth is no one knows what the next crisis will look like and you want as much redundancy as possible to get through. This means having gold, silver, bitcoin, monero, cash, food, etc etc... anything that might have value.

Everyone should have %10 of their portfolio in physical gold imo. A case can be made for %5 physical and %5 gold mining stocks to protect against government confiscation. In the 1930's it was illegal to own gold but it was legal to own gold mining stocks. So they were an outlet for people to gain exposure to golds price.
Gold: 7,621.00
Oct 20 2019 07:37pm
If you're thinking metals, copper is a much better investment imo. Demand for copper will only grow as regions like Africa come online. It's one of the best electrical conductors and we are quickly moving towards everything electrical. Everything from smart cars to smart homes needs copper.

This post was edited by ofthevoid on Oct 20 2019 07:38pm
Gold: 3.00
Oct 24 2019 01:04am
Quote (ofthevoid @ Oct 20 2019 06:37pm)
If you're thinking metals, copper is a much better investment imo. Demand for copper will only grow as regions like Africa come online. It's one of the best electrical conductors and we are quickly moving towards everything electrical. Everything from smart cars to smart homes needs copper.

That was funny to read. Can’t tell if you’re trolling or not
Go Back To Science, Technology & Nature Topic List
Prev13456Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll