d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Basketball >
Poll > Nba Draft Competition Semi Finals > Match-up 2
123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
  Guests cannot view or vote in polls. Please register or login.
Gold: 6,479.31
Aug 15 2019 10:13am
Current injuries and injury history are to be taken into account when voting.

The Monstars

PG: Steph Curry | Patrick Beverley | Lonzo Ball
SG: Jimmy Butler | Jamal Murray
SF: Jayson Tatum | Danilo Gallinari | Royce O'Neale
PF: Jaren Jackson Jr. | Nemanja Bjelica
C: Al Horford | Mitchell Robinson

With the lineup adjustments, The Monstars sport a far more formidable front court and imposing wing defense than they did previously. JJJ is an ascending star who can stretch the floor and protect the rim. As Horford begins to age, JJJ can fill in at the 5, and Robinson will have room for more minutes, providing top tier rim protection and general interior defense.

Murray coming off the bench will feast on RTZ's second unit, providing elite scoring and secondary playmaking. Bjelica has a reputation for making the players around him far better when he's on the floor vs. off, and provides excellent spacing at the 4 (Top 20 in 3P% this past season) The Monstars have the perfect mix of experienced and budding stars, allowing them to be relevant now as well as for the future. RTZ is relying heavily on Zion developing into a superstar early, which, while possible, isn't a certainty.

Road To Zion may hold a slight advantage in the first year with their second-unit, but all of their key bench players are past their prime and will decline over the three year period, especially Gasol, whereas The Monstars have young guns like Lonzo, Murray, and Robinson, all of whom are already key players on their teams and are only projected to improve.

Road To Zion

PG: De’Aaron Fox | Mike Conley | Shai Gilgeous-Alexander
SG: Klay Thompson (ACL)/Lou Williams
SF: Robert Covington | Trevor Ariza
PF: LeBron James | Zion Williamson
C: Steven Adams | Marc Gasol | DeAndre Jordan

disclaimer: this lineup insinuates that the 2020 playoffs have been reached, regardless of seed, and that Klay Thompson has recovered from his ACL injury.(this is a 3 year tournament)

The Monstars sport an excellent backcourt full of 2 way players including superstars Jimmy Butler and Steph Curry as well as rising star Jayson Tatum. The goal of RTZ, and the entire thought process in building this team, was to neutralize powerful backCourts. To guard the phenom curry you have up and coming Star Fox who was in the top 15% in steals last season, and seems primed for a breakout year. Although the notion that any team can shut down Curry is foolish, it seems reasonable to believe that Fox can hold him slightly below average, while also having a field day on the offensive end as curry cant play defense to save his life. Klay in the first year off an ACL will have a rough time Vs buckets, but years 2 and 3 I really believe he will AT least match him offensively, if not have a position +/- against him outright. At the 3 we have RoCo Vs Tatum; and again unless Tatum makes a huge Jump, neutralized.
Having LeBron at the 4 will allow him to camp passing lanes on defense, he has the highest basketball IQ of any player in the league and although JJJ is a rising star, I think he won’t have the impact you’d like to see him have defending and having to try to score against the Goat. Adams should win the rebound Battle easily but don’t see him scoring much Vs Horford and Visa versa.

As far as reserves go I am confident that RTZ has superior relief. For as great a defender as he is Beverly can’t hang with Conley, Lou should match Murray’s scoring, and Gasol/Zion should form a deadly Duo of bigs going against less talented reserves in Bjelica and Robinson off the bench. SGA and Jordan can he inserted if Guard stoppers or Rim protection was needed, but it’s unlikely either would see much if any time in this lineup. It will be a gritty series, but by my call Monstars win year one, and RTZ takes years 2 and 3 as Fox and Zion hit their prime.
Gold: 13,825.00
Aug 15 2019 10:20am
So I get the best 2 in the league with Lebron feeding him? Have to go with that.
Gold: 0.00
Aug 15 2019 10:29am
One team has zero wing depth, at least half a season without Klay leaving an old chucker PG starting at the 2 and a 34y/o Ariza as the only other wing player. Easy choice.
Gold: 6,479.31
Aug 15 2019 11:59am
Quote (Proint @ Aug 15 2019 12:20pm)
So I get the best 2 in the league with Lebron feeding him? Have to go with that.

> best 2 in the league
> didn’t make an all-nba team last season

Pick 1
Gold: 3,800.00
Aug 15 2019 12:24pm
Teams seem like they are getting worse and worse as the competition keeps going.
Gold: 3,059.01
Warn: 10%
Aug 15 2019 01:00pm
Quote (LeDaddy @ Aug 15 2019 12:29pm)
One team has zero wing depth, at least half a season without Klay leaving an old chucker PG starting at the 2 and a 34y/o Ariza as the only other wing player. Easy choice.

Zion LBJ Ariza Covington could all play wing, seems like fine depth to me
Gold: 0.00
Aug 15 2019 01:09pm
Quote (Adverb @ Aug 15 2019 02:00pm)
Zion LBJ Ariza Covington could all play wing, seems like fine depth to me

They have 5 players who can play the wing - two of them you have playing the 4. That leaves them with 3 wing players and one of them is injured, another is always injured, another is 34. Feel free to play Lou at the 2 but he is an absolute defensive liability there.

This post was edited by LeDaddy on Aug 15 2019 01:36pm
Gold: 3,059.01
Warn: 10%
Aug 15 2019 01:33pm
Quote (LeDaddy @ Aug 15 2019 03:09pm)
They have 5 players who can play the wing - two of them you have playing the 4. That leaves them with 3 wing players and one of them in injured, another is always injured, another is 34. Feel free to play Lou at the 2 but he is an absolute defensive liability there.

lol...I’m just saying objectively the team your claiming has no wing depth has 5 options to play the position. And I seriously doubt Lou Williams was drafted for anything other than volume bench scoring

This post was edited by Adverb on Aug 15 2019 01:47pm
Gold: 13,825.00
Aug 15 2019 01:36pm
Quote (dis505 @ Aug 15 2019 10:59am)
> best 2 in the league
> didn’t make an all-nba team last season

Pick 1

People like Broussard have a vote in that.
Gold: 2,267.63
Aug 15 2019 01:48pm
Quote (LeDaddy @ Aug 15 2019 12:29pm)

Nice year one analysis.
Go Back To Basketball Topic List
123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll