d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Tlaib And Omar Blocked From Israel Visit
Prev113141516Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 5.00
Aug 21 2019 10:49am
Quote (bogie160 @ Aug 21 2019 06:40am)
When you say that you oppose something, but never criticize it or raise it in any serious capacity, your audience has a right to be skeptical.

I hear an awful lot about how Uganda (i.e. a poor, decolonized nation) treats gays, but I can safely say that I have never heard someone criticize Palestinians for the same.

I see two serious differences between the two situations. Uganda is a Christian nation, and we are used to treating Christians as the "other". And second, we place Islam higher up our perceived hierarchy of oppression. Gays in this case are left holding the short end of the stick. We'll support them when it's against the white Christians we loathe, and even against the black Christians we don't care much about, but Islam? That's a line too far.

I don't think you're really quite privy to the conversations that the LGBT community has. Different social circles.
Gold: 2,489.69
Aug 21 2019 10:55am
Quote (bogie160 @ Aug 21 2019 08:40am)
When you say that you oppose something, but never criticize it or raise it in any serious capacity, your audience has a right to be skeptical.

I hear an awful lot about how Uganda (i.e. a poor, decolonized nation) treats gays, but I can safely say that I have never heard someone criticize Palestinians for the same.

I see two serious differences between the two situations. Uganda is a Christian nation, and we are used to treating Christians as the "other". And second, we place Islam higher up our perceived hierarchy of oppression. Gays in this case are left holding the short end of the stick. We'll support them when it's against the white Christians we loathe, and even against the black Christians we don't care much about, but Islam? That's a line too far.

neither the GOP nor DNC has dont anything to help gays in the middle east. Obama and Trump both went to the Sauds with open hands to keep barrel prices steady.

if Iraq, Afghanistan, or even Syria had been motivated by the treatment of gays i'd change the above, but we all know it wasn't.
Gold: 633.87
Aug 21 2019 11:05am
Quote (Handcuffs @ Aug 21 2019 12:49pm)
I don't think you're really quite privy to the conversations that the LGBT community has. Different social circles.

Do Western LGBT communities speak for 3rd world LGBT communities? I would think their experiences are night and day.

Do these LGBT circles discuss both internally, and then selectively raise concerns about Ugandans? That would be beyond odd. Why?

Or do they raise both, and only the Ugandan story gets traction? In which case, back to my previous post.
Aug 21 2019 11:09am
Quote (bogie160 @ Aug 21 2019 10:05am)
Do Western LGBT communities speak for 3rd world LGBT communities? I would think their experiences are night and day.

Do these LGBT circles discuss both internally, and then selectively raise concerns about Ugandans? That would be beyond odd. Why?

Or do they raise both, and only the Ugandan story gets traction? In which case, back to my previous post.

Homophobia and transphobia is universally condemned irrespective of geopolitics. Both get talked about, and both get condemned.
Aug 21 2019 11:33am
Quote (Handcuffs @ Aug 21 2019 01:09pm)
Homophobia and transphobia is universally condemned irrespective of geopolitics. Both get talked about, and both get condemned.

Now we've circled back to the beginning.

No, they aren't. They get selectively covered based on both ideological concerns and whatever story / location is flavor of the month.

Gold: 3.33
Aug 21 2019 11:59am
It's all about the Benjamins

Suggesting there's a subset of people being loyal to Israel instead of their own country

Sharing cartoons that imply Jewish control of the media

There's enough evidence to suggest they're both somewhat anti-semitic.

Aug 21 2019 04:14pm
Quote (bogie160 @ Aug 21 2019 10:33am)
Now we've circled back to the beginning.

No, they aren't. They get selectively covered based on both ideological concerns and whatever story / location is flavor of the month.

There's no supporting evidence for your position.
Aug 21 2019 05:01pm
Quote (Handcuffs @ Aug 21 2019 06:14pm)
There's no supporting evidence for your position.

There's plenty of correlation.

Coverage abounds re: Russian attitudes towards homosexuality. LGBT rights in Uganda were a big issue during the Obama administration.

Meanwhile, progressives have spent years apologizing for Iran, where homosexuality is still a capital crime under the law.

Aug 21 2019 05:16pm
Quote (bogie160 @ Aug 21 2019 04:01pm)
There's plenty of correlation.

Coverage abounds re: Russian attitudes towards homosexuality. LGBT rights in Uganda were a big issue during the Obama administration.

Meanwhile, progressives have spent years apologizing for Iran, where homosexuality is still a capital crime under the law.

And the issue is still raised in the Middle East. There isn't some free pass granted to that region that you seem to believe exists.
Gold: 9,121.00
Aug 21 2019 06:07pm
Quote (Handcuffs @ Aug 21 2019 07:16pm)
And the issue is still raised in the Middle East. There isn't some free pass granted to that region that you seem to believe exists.

That's the whole point. It's raised in the ME but not very often in the west. Russias treatment of gays, for example, is brought up quite often in American media yet what happens to gays in the Muslim world is rarely if ever brought up. The issue is it's not proportional considering to severity of injustice. Gays in Russia might get beat up, intimidated sure, but they aren't being tossed off roofs. There isn't a government or a jurisprudence system in place that actually encourages violence against them like in most of the Muslim world.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev113141516Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll