d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > International > Dansk > Norse Deities According To Old Norman
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 18,196.00
Aug 6 2019 11:43pm
I speak Old Norman, and my mother is a Landry, immigrant from Denmark to Normandie way back, settlers with Rollo/Rou/Robert/Hrolfr/Gaange Rolf. Technically Rou-le-Blanc, I am a son of him but my y-dna is Gallic. We speak our French with all the extra norse letters, although identifiying a 'æ' is tricky sometimes, compared to French, I know quite a few, even gathering a dictionary, here's a few examples: 'Conquerør' with trilled r's, it's our way of saying it, if you pronounce it in French, and that I believe is real etymology. Our 'eu' in words like 'peur' 'heure' sound like 'pøre' '(h)øre', although this might be already Gallo in combination with Viking. Plenty of others, pårmi instead of pårmi, Supériør, even 'Erligion', the Norwegians and the Danish that came to Normandie like to morph the 're' into 'er' alot, because I know it's "is". Erligion, legion was a common word all throughout, we really say it like that sometimes, and remember "our" vikings got christianized, right? The first crusade, etc. Another example of that would be 'pauveurté' said like 'pauvěrté'. The language that was thought so contain 'a few viking loan-words' turns out to be still living and full of viking pronunciations, but to name a few: 'harcourt' instead of 'parcourt', 'hakom' instead of 'how come' sometimes said 'hacoume' (wondering what the real pronunciation is for the 'kom'. We also use Anglo-Saxon loan-words, even to this day: "so, welle, but, do, den" etc, they underestimated the Anglo-Saxon presence in pre"Conquouest" Normandie, but are now finding the evidence for our Anglo-Saxon words, too.

Anyway here's the list of Viking deities morphed into Old Norman French, its accent anyway, but it is reliably said and spoken in the same pattern as what I speak familialy.

Go Back To Dansk Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll