d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > d2jsp > General Help > Site Suggestions >
Poll > Sponsored Tournaments Within Trade Forums
1235Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
  Guests cannot view or vote in polls. Please register or login.
Gold: 19,001.01
Jul 21 2019 08:58am
Hi everyone!

My post last night was locked and I received a brief suspension:
https://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=81576580&f=169&p=548278233#p548278233

I’m not complaining about the suspension - when the rules are broken it should be expected! However, I would argue that my post should be legal.

It was locked as “trade spam”:
Specifically, you violated Spam:
Do not spam yours or others trade threads. That includes vouches and free bumps.
Do not post in spam threads. Just report it and move on.
Do not respond to spam in your thread. Report it.
Do not post Youtube videos in the trading grounds.
Do not beg for free items or forum gold, or any donation of any kind.

However I don’t think the post falls into the category, nor do any of the forum users view it that way.

If legal services include 1.) recruitment for ladder reset teams 2.) g-rushes and leveling services, I think it is more than acceptable to post in order to involve people in community activities!

Let’s face it. Many of us are trying to keep the Diablo II community alive despite the fact that its user-base is dwindling. People complain about how bots have taken over and that it can be difficult to find real people to play with.

It’s a known fact that the trade forums are the most heavily trafficked forums within the Diablo II forums. I believe it should be legal for tournament organizers to make posts to invite and enlist players into community events. We (my guild and others) are personally interested in sponsoring (donating FG as the prize-pool for) legit dueling and Ironman tournaments. I’m all ears regarding what other folks believe should be sanctionable tournaments as well!

Here is a brief summary of my argument:
- these posts would not “spam” or overwhelm the trade forums.
- users would be glad for them / not put off by them.
- it would help invigorate the community and boost active participation in game and on d2jsp.
- there is no risk of users being scammed when there is no cost of entry or commitment from the user.

I would love to know your thoughts.
Should sponsored events be legal “services” within the trade forums?
Thanks for reading!!
-Moe

This post was edited by MoeTidus on Jul 21 2019 09:05am
Gold: 45.00
Jul 21 2019 09:12am
It’s clearly time to change this lol
Trade Moderator
Gold: 82,000.00
Trader: Trusted
Jul 21 2019 09:15am
I think they should be posted in the PvM section under D2 Discussion and not the trading grounds.
For the simple reason that these topics can turn into discussion about the rules and about the results.

My vote is no.
Jul 21 2019 09:40am
Quote (Yakir @ Jul 21 2019 08:15am)
I think they should be posted in the PvM section under D2 Discussion and not the trading grounds.
For the simple reason that these topics can turn into discussion about the rules and about the results.

My vote is no.

I respect your submission of course, as one who surely has seen countless threads dissolve into spam.

Although I would offer a counter argument.
What if these threads always shared a link to a "Tournament Page" within the Legit Dueling Section, PVM section, or a Guild Topic? That way the conversations would be diverted to take place elsewhere and the thread in the trading grounds would be used as a signup page and alert.

I honestly don't think these posts would stand more chance to become spammed than other services.

regarding the suggestion that they should be posted in the d2 discussion section - sadly this has been the only option so far. These forums see very little traffic, sometimes with only one or two posts per day. The purpose of this suggestion is to boost community activity, and I believe the best answer is to access the most heavily trafficked forums. The community has dwindled such that these side forums frankly see little or no use by comparison.

Thank you for your thoughts in any case!
Trade Moderator
Gold: 82,000.00
Trader: Trusted
Jul 21 2019 09:46am
Quote (MoeTidus @ Jul 21 2019 06:40pm)
I respect your submission of course, as one who surely has seen countless threads dissolve into spam.

Although I would offer a counter argument.
What if these threads always shared a link to a "Tournament Page" within the Legit Dueling Section, PVM section, or a Guild Topic? That way the conversations would be diverted to take place elsewhere and the thread in the trading grounds would be used as a signup page and alert.

I honestly don't think these posts would stand more chance to become spammed than other services.

regarding the suggestion that they should be posted in the d2 discussion section - sadly this has been the only option so far. These forums see very little traffic, sometimes with only one or two posts per day. The purpose of this suggestion is to boost community activity, and I believe the best answer is to access the most heavily trafficked forums. The community has dwindled such that these side forums frankly see little or no use by comparison.

Thank you for your thoughts in any case!

Link them via your signature and you got the same effect.
Gold: 44.69
Jul 21 2019 09:48am
There's forums where this is allowed,the services are for a trade like fg for rush
Not a competition
I do think being able to post to the relevant server in the trading forums would help bring more people to them maybe under a events section on nstead of services
Gold: 9,205.00
Jul 22 2019 11:14am
What they should do is to start giving warning to everyone who posts their opinions about items in the trading forums and then say "1 fg for no spam" or such.

Not sure why your suggestion shouldn't be allowed though.
FG thirsty nerds will definitely be easier to find in the trading forums so I think that place fits just fine for tourneys with prizes.
Jul 22 2019 11:52am
Quote (Yakir @ Jul 21 2019 08:46am)
Link them via your signature and you got the same effect.

This is a much lesser effect that an active post. Most people overlook the small text in people’s signatures. My suggestion is that we add a service or tool so that users can create prominent advertisements for in-game events.

Quote (Tittys @ Jul 21 2019 08:48am)
There's forums where this is allowed,the services are for a trade like fg for rush
Not a competition
I do think being able to post to the relevant server in the trading forums would help bring more people to them maybe under a events section on nstead of services

Perhaps there should be an events tab, like there is a service tab. Agreed!

Quote (HardyTarget @ Jul 22 2019 10:14am)
What they should do is to start giving warning to everyone who posts their opinions about items in the trading forums and then say "1 fg for no spam" or such.

Not sure why your suggestion shouldn't be allowed though.
FG thirsty nerds will definitely be easier to find in the trading forums so I think that place fits just fine for tourneys with prizes.

I agree that there is ample spam in the trading forums already.

I’m not making an excuse for more spam - in fact I think these posts would be easy to regulate and wouldn’t produce near as much spam as many other aspects of the forum.

Returning to my initial point - the trade forums are the most trafficked areas of the diablo II forums and they would be the best venue to advertise to and involve more community members. Services are already allowed within the trade forums and o believe “Sponsored events” or pure “events” would have a similar function to services while creating minimal or no negative effect.

I’d love to see more discussion on this!
Gold: 14,460.88
Jul 22 2019 03:12pm
I would like the "Prize" situation to be more robust.
As i suspect some of the tournaments to be unpaid, similar to how the "selling in the next 10 minute" type threads are a load of nonsense half of the time.

Completely agree for it to be linked to a proper topic in character builds/discussions.
would not have an issue if i saw this style of topic in the trade forum.

my concerns would be how to prevent a "worst case scenario" which would be 30+ of these tournaments spamming up the trade topics with stupid rewards like 5 fg.
There's going to be some specific rules which need to be in place and enforced.
Gold: 8,773.00
Jul 22 2019 06:04pm
This is an amazing idea
People do not peruse the pvp forums
But they would play if they knew it was coming up
They just have no idea because literally no one visits those forums

It’s a dead forum where we have to post
Having a link to it where all discussion can be held is the best idea in my opinion

I think this would be wonderful for the community
Go Back To Site Suggestions Topic List
1235Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll