d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Computer Hardware Discussion > Misc Computer Help > Asus Rog Laptop Locked Down? > Won't Boot And Can't Change Anything
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
CyrusTheGreat
#1 Jul 10 2019 05:49am
Group: Member

Gold: 19,950.00
Trader: Trusted
Good morning everyone,

Wondering if anyone here has ever worked with ASUS laptops (specific model ROG GU501GM). I am trying to fix one for my friend, but it appears to be so locked down that it's almost impossible to do anything?

The backstory:

Computer stopped booting the other day - unknown as to why.

- Attempted to repair startup with Windows Recovery Media - Windows states it cannot perform the repairs.

- Attempted boot record repair in command prompt with Windows Recovery Media, no changes.

- Attempted reinstalling Windows from USB Bootable Installation Media, computer will not allow the OS drive to be formatted, deleted, or cleared for a new partition.

- Attempted DISKPART to delete volumes/partitions that way - computer simply writes them back on reboot.

- Attempted Command Prompt full hard drive format. "Completes" the format and simply writes everything back to the drive on reboot.

I have never seen anywhere near this level of restrictive behavior from a laptop before - has anyone else ran into this on their end?

I'm simply trying to wipe the drive and reinstall Windows, because the computer in current state doesn't let me do anything to fix the boot issues.

Thanks for any info you may be able to provide!
Haj
#2 Jul 11 2019 09:07am
Gold: 327.00
alot of laptops have a setting in bios so u cant format drive, just go into bios and disable it.. should be a easy find on google..

usually tho, it works doing it from windows - settings>update&security>recovery>reset pc
CyrusTheGreat
#3 Jul 11 2019 08:14pm

Gold: 19,950.00
Trader: Trusted
Quote (Haj @ Jul 11 2019 11:07am)
alot of laptops have a setting in bios so u cant format drive, just go into bios and disable it.. should be a easy find on google..

usually tho, it works doing it from windows - settings>update&security>recovery>reset pc

Hey - thanks for the response!

It ultimately ended up being a bad drive. I took the drive out of the laptop and put it into a completely different computer and had the same problems. There was no writing to it and the reset feature was not available. The F9 feature for factory restore on ASUS laptops didn't work either. I even checked Windows Events and it kept throwing a corruption error every time I tried DISKPART.

My buddy wanted to upgrade anyway, so he just picked up new drives to replace the broken SSD and the very slow secondary HDD (he now has a 1tb SSD secondary rather than a 5400 RPM HDD). Runs like a dream now :)

This post was edited by CyrusTheGreat on Jul 11 2019 08:18pm
Go Back To Misc Computer Help Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll