d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Official Breaking News Thread > And Other Stuff You Want To Share
Prev1646566676870Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 285.00
Mar 25 2020 05:40am
Quote (cambovenzi @ Mar 25 2020 03:12am)
Some do. Some don't.
You saw Amash was pushing for cash relief for people and he is one of the most libertarian congressmen. A similar themed article was published at reason mag by one of their crappier writers.
Giving people some cash relief makes some amount of sense when you are talking about it in response to government abruptly shutting down their jobs and people needing money in an emergency.

I understand that this is an extenuating circumstance but I also know there will be problems.

Its going to be a shitshow. Printing green paper or a digital equivalent doesn't produce goods and services.
There are already runs on many basic grocery store items and its looking like most businesses will continue to be shut down for weeks. They are ironically getting ready to crucify Trump for suggesting Easter as a target to reassess and reopen.
We are looking at trillions in corporate welfare and a one-time pittance to the average person. This is not a creation of wealth but rather a redistribution. The capital has to come from somewhere.

Many of the businesses were failing before this and others don't need the money.
Government propping up failed businesses is a problem.
Market adjustments and corrections are necessary for an allocation of resources and economy that best serves us on the other side of this.

Of course just about any deal is wildly popular as people expect the government to 'do something' while continuing to keep businesses closed because they don't understand any of the economic realities involved. The politicians understand this and there was immense pressure on them to sign whatever. Pelosi tried to leverage this into a laundry list of unrelated leftist crap but seemingly failed. Trillions for bankers and megacorps looks to still be in the plans. We'll know more tomorrow.

I recently read this article about the previous bailouts that was rather gloomy.
https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/secrets-and-lies-of-the-bailout-113270/
Plenty in there about how banker executives etc exploitatively worked around executive bonus clauses to enrich themselves and their banks and didnt use the money for the intended purpose among a slew of other major problems. That seems to be a big issue they were worried about today and I have no confidence that was effectively handled. It also touched on some reasons why the 'they paid back the loans so its all good' talking point is wrong.

I appreciate Amash's ability to be ideological and still benefit the people who elected him.

I could see libertarian opposition to these things based on principle and based on theory of.... Or sometimes you just have to do wild things in a crisis that you normally would not do , And this flexibility and lack a rigidity is important to have in leaders.

It's one everybody at the table becomes rigid about personal values that nothing gets done. When we have this we just have different people at a table insisting that they're right it's thinking that they have the objective truth and that the other's truth are inferior to their's..... People lacking intellectual maturity imo.

Amash seems to be one grown up in the whole of Congress lol.

And like you hint Cam, bad (but rational in capitalism) behavior will be committed by the people who benefit the most from this sort of bailout...

...Thracymachus's argument to Socrates comes to mind
..yes the rich use the law to serve themselves.... But in capitalist America the poor serve the rich.... And those dumb plebs love that trickle down.

This post was edited by Skinned on Mar 25 2020 05:45am
Gold: 8,933.00
Apr 7 2020 04:58am
Yang Gang at it in Spain:

https://www.businessinsider.com/spain-universal-basic-income-coronavirus-yang-ubi-permanent-first-europe-2020-4

Spain is moving to permanently establish universal basic income in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic
Apr 12 2020 10:49am
https://babylonbee.com/news/roman-authorities-investigating-jesus-for-violating-stay-in-tomb-order

JERUSALEM—Roman authorities are investigating controversial religious leader Jesus of Nazareth for violating the Empire's clear "stay in tomb" order. After crucifying him and laying him in the tomb, Roman guards put Him under strict orders to stay there and not come back, rising victorious over sin and death.

But Jesus, answering to a higher authority, refused to stay dead and busted out of the tomb, establishing a kingdom that would never end -- again, in clear violation of the government's orders.

"Jesus is a dangerous rebel, refusing to bend the knee to Caesar and not abiding by the law of sin and death," said one Roman official. "He clearly broke the law by leaving the tomb, and we're going to be issuing a citation and placing him under mandatory quarantine for these crimes."

After coming into contact with many large groups over the course of approximately 40 days, Jesus ascended into heaven and is currently thought to be reigning on high.

Authorities are also investigating Him for planning to gather with a large multitude of every tribe, tongue, and nation. He says he currently has no plans to obey any earthly king on the matter, pressing ahead with the gathering of those who believe He died and rose again and trust Him alone for their salvation.
Gold: 2,617.52
Apr 12 2020 11:35am
Apr 20 2020 08:01pm
Apr 21 2020 03:48am
Gold: 83.30
Apr 21 2020 03:53am
Quote (Santara @ Apr 21 2020 11:48am)

I honestly don't know how I feel about this. Power vacuum in NK could be very scary, but Kim dynasty dying out would be wonderful news.

Apr 21 2020 03:57am
Quote (balrog66 @ Apr 21 2020 04:53am)
I honestly don't know how I feel about this. Power vacuum in NK could be very scary, but Kim dynasty dying out would be wonderful news.

This Tweet has been deleted while she awaits further information/confirmation, but this might be the news that comes out of DPRK.

Power vacuum will be ugly, but you can probably rest assured that a totalitarian regime remains in place.
Gold: 285.00
Apr 21 2020 05:39am
Quote (Santara @ Apr 12 2020 12:49pm)

You didn't hear? The pope cancelled Easter this year. This year Jesus stays dead :(

Quote (Santara @ Apr 21 2020 05:48am)

Probly the same doctor who said that Donald Trump is the healthiest president who's ever taken office as an obese geriatric man lol.

This post was edited by Skinned on Apr 21 2020 05:40am
Gold: 2.00
Warn: 20%
Apr 23 2020 02:41pm
Kim Jung Un is a prisoner to Illuminati anyway. Like it matters.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1646566676870Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll