d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Programming & Development > Learning Guidance
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 3,604.22
Jun 25 2019 10:24am
Hi guys,

I work for a web developer on a support team, and it's massively advantageous for me to be able to read code. That and I have a desire to lean as things go, as I have a few things I have wanted to do with it for a long time.

So my background so far is that I know HTML and CSS, older and newer versions and can do some responsive design techniques etc too. I have a little bit of Bootstrap4 under my belt too, though this is rusty and could do with refreshing, especially to make my life easier, as I am by no means a front end developer...

I was wondering if it's going to be better for me to go straight in to things like DOM, Laravel, PHP, and which I should jump in to first, and followed by what? I have a basic understanding of the syntax for PHP and JS, understanding basic functions, variatbles, arrays etc, but definitely need to think of some project based work that would assist in getting me to learn this. Where would some of you more experienced guys reccomend that I move to next?

If anyone would like to assist in any way, by all means, let me know, I am always receptive to feedback, be it idea's for a project that will help me grasp something, be it a mentor, be it anything at all!

Gold: 5,006.00
Jun 27 2019 03:32pm
Learn whatever technologies your team uses? Seems you want to learn full stack web dev for yourself, but you mention it's for your work. If it is for your work obviously you need to learn what they're using. If it's just for yourself, you can get by with JUST html/css/js using popular stacks like MERN/MEAN.
Angular uses typescript but it's quite easy to learn after javascript and actually very good to learn anyways.
Jun 28 2019 04:03pm
Thanks for the response. For work it would be advantageous to know PHP and JS, but I have a desire to learn full stack anyway, was just wanting an idea on what to learn first of all.
Gold: 9,270.00
Jun 29 2019 02:06pm
photographic memory exists

leet haxors exists

profit
Jun 30 2019 03:46am
Not sure what type of contribution that was but thanks?

Still iso a bit of feedback on what would be a better route to take. Been a bit of a busy one and not had time to do more learning in the meantime, but the reason I am asking these things atm is more related to a project I have in mind to learn. Can either be done in JS or PHP language bases (and their frameworks). Just wanted to get a heads up on what you thought would be a better process.
Gold: 12,935.00
Jul 11 2019 06:03pm
Build a simple front end in React or Angular :)
Gold: 11.01
Aug 22 2019 08:51pm
Quote (Klexmoo @ 11 Jul 2019 19:03)
Build a simple front end in React or Angular :)

Pretty much this. Start with just a small personal website made with some JavaScript framework.

I'd suggest googling "how to make a VueJS website and host it on AWS."

Practice is literally the ONLY way to learn this stuff.

Also, don't learn PHP. It's well on the way out...everyone half knows PHP but nobody spends the time to become an expert because it's terrible and slow to progress. If you really want to learn a backend language look at NodeJS or GoLang. 100% advise NodeJS as a beginner.
Aug 22 2019 08:55pm
Quote (PuppyMonkeyBaby @ 23 Aug 2019 03:51)
Pretty much this. Start with just a small personal website made with some JavaScript framework.

I'd suggest googling "how to make a VueJS website and host it on AWS."

Practice is literally the ONLY way to learn this stuff.

Also, don't learn PHP. It's well on the way out...everyone half knows PHP but nobody spends the time to become an expert because it's terrible and slow to progress. If you really want to learn a backend language look at NodeJS or GoLang. 100% advise NodeJS as a beginner.

I work for a Web host which pretty much exclusively uses php as a back end language. Will be moving more to Laravel soon though which is better, but yeah. PHP is a necessity and not a want.
Go Back To Programming & Development Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll