d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Why?
Prev12345Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 5,016.77
Jun 20 2019 09:35am
Quote (thesnipa @ Jun 20 2019 09:35am)
i'm just responding homeslice. i reject a lot of the bible, i said you can call me blasphemous if you'd like :)

just an honest question for you, it doesn't bother you that a complete piece of shit who's damaged a large number of lives can be absolved of sin while a non-believer who lives comparatively a very good life can't? we all know that sweet old granda who swears when she spills the soup while stirring but otherwise is a complete peach. but if she's a non-believer even if she's spent 20 years in retirement atoning for and regretting a life of minor sins she goes to hell. but the shitbag who's a "life long christian" goes to jail for rape and because he's in a literal shit hole truly feels sorry and asks for forgiveness, is given it, and goes to heaven. i find the very idea that sin can be washed away only through forgiveness by Christ to be silly, i understand that's blasphemous and i dont care. i dont need counseling on the scripture of this, i know it, i simply disregard it. im just curious if that bothers you also, not whether or not you believe in it.

It bothers me to an extent... but then I balance that with knowledge about God's holiness, His justice, and just the plain fact that He's the reason for life itself. I think people take that for granted.

And I also tend to think His plan will be made perfectly clear to us when we're in His presence. But I'm not going to will myself to believe something contrary to God's revelation just because my human mind with limited knowledge is a little bothered that sweet old atheist granny probably won't be saved.
Gold: 2,489.69
Jun 20 2019 09:38am
Quote (IceMage @ Jun 20 2019 09:35am)
It bothers me to an extent... but then I balance that with knowledge about God's holiness, His justice, and just the plain fact that He's the reason for life itself. I think people take that for granted.

And I also tend to think His plan will be made perfectly clear to us when we're in His presence. But I'm not going to will myself to believe something contrary to God's revelation just because my human mind with limited knowledge is a little bothered that sweet old atheist granny probably won't be saved.

i respect that for sure. and when it comes to a girl dying of cancer at age 4, even though i cant see god's plan, it takes only a few seconds to see how that could be part of a plan. girl gets fund named after her and her story inspired millions in donations, saves 50x more kids. etc.

I just have a hard time even seeing how someone being a great person, well above average in sin, but not worshiping god then going to hell is part of a plan.

but that's not a constant feeling, at times i feel god is worth all of the worship his followers give him and 10x more, and at times it fluxes down to where i'm at now. nothing is even particularly shitty in my life, its going great, so it doesnt seem tied to that. not like it will keep me out of church sunday morning or from helping others or anything anyhow.
Jun 20 2019 09:43am
Quote (thesnipa @ Jun 20 2019 10:38am)
i respect that for sure. and when it comes to a girl dying of cancer at age 4, even though i cant see god's plan, it takes only a few seconds to see how that could be part of a plan. girl gets fund named after her and her story inspired millions in donations, saves 50x more kids. etc.

I just have a hard time even seeing how someone being a great person, well above average in sin, but not worshiping god then going to hell is part of a plan.

but that's not a constant feeling, at times i feel god is worth all of the worship his followers give him and 10x more, and at times it fluxes down to where i'm at now. nothing is even particularly shitty in my life, its going great, so it doesnt seem tied to that. not like it will keep me out of church sunday morning or from helping others or anything anyhow.

Stop going to shitty mainline, progressive churches. You need some fire and brimstone sermons to get you back on track.
Jun 20 2019 09:57am
Quote (IceMage @ Jun 20 2019 09:43am)
Stop going to shitty mainline, progressive churches. You need some fire and brimstone sermons to get you back on track.

LOL

we live out in the country and a 1/4 mile from my house is the GORGEOUS old brick Methodist church built in the early 1900s. we can walk down and back most sundays. Female pastor, 1 service, 50 or so in the flock.

The thought of trading that in for the catholic church (where i was married and my wife was raised/confirmed in) that has a congregation of 500+ people and has to seat people in auxiliary rooms, where u actually watch a TV because the pastor is so far away, isn't gonna happen. the people are stuffy, there's zero engagement, and you don't even take communion from the Priests, they have helpers, one who whom sits next to me at work and is a fucking shitbag hypocrite.

i'm sure there's a halfway decent baptist or evangelical church somewhere tho. still not gonna trade it in when there's lemon bars and kool aid after a really fun service a 5 min walk down a country lane. :)

This post was edited by thesnipa on Jun 20 2019 09:58am
Jun 20 2019 10:05am
Quote (thesnipa @ Jun 20 2019 10:57am)
LOL

we live out in the country and a 1/4 mile from my house is the GORGEOUS old brick Methodist church built in the early 1900s. we can walk down and back most sundays. Female pastor, 1 service, 50 or so in the flock.

The thought of trading that in for the catholic church (where i was married and my wife was raised/confirmed in) that has a congregation of 500+ people and has to seat people in auxiliary rooms, where u actually watch a TV because the pastor is so far away, isn't gonna happen. the people are stuffy, there's zero engagement, and you don't even take communion from the Priests, they have helpers, one who whom sits next to me at work and is a fucking shitbag hypocrite.

i'm sure there's a halfway decent baptist or evangelical church somewhere tho. still not gonna trade it in when there's lemon bars and kool aid after a really fun service a 5 min walk down a country lane. :)

That's convenient. What sort of sermons does she give?

I'm drifting back towards the Catholic church myself.
Jun 20 2019 10:16am
Quote (IceMage @ Jun 20 2019 10:05am)
That's convenient. What sort of sermons does she give?

I'm drifting back towards the Catholic church myself.

very little specific long winded scripture readings. Mostly she'll read a few passages and then talk about how we can interpret that scripture in our lives. Kind of has a peace and love feel to it but she's nice. Also there's a "prayers and inspiration" portion where if anyone has troubles and wants to ask for prayers the can while also giving people an opportunity to announce exciting things like new babies and such. the Catholic church has a "peace be with you" segment where for 1-2 mins people awkwardly shake people's hands and avoid eye contact. at my church that's more like 10 mins of people actually engaging and catching up while also welcoming new comers that occasionally straggle in.

also lots of community work, we have a food and clothes and toys bank for families in need in or out of the congregation and a lot of community events like free coffee and donuts days, potlucks, and donation garage sales.
Gold: 3.33
Jun 22 2019 07:12pm
Quote (thesnipa @ Jun 19 2019 08:55am)
who chooses their religion?

the best atheist argument against religion is a lack of free will. at least at the extremes. some Pygmy born on an island in a tribe in 1800 had no chance to be a Christian and accept jesus christ. Someone born into the Dugger family had no choice but to be raised conservative christian.

this is the reason i've always discounted the need for baptism and acceptance of jesus (in a literal sense) as a prerequisite for salvation, and have instead applied more of a "point system" to measure the good/bad of the totality of one's life.

A good/bad point system is equally problematic. How good or bad one is certainly must also be a partial product of the circumstances of their birth and their upbringing.
Gold: 285.00
Jun 22 2019 07:14pm
Quote (thesnipa @ Jun 20 2019 10:38am)

God the Utilitarian. Kills small children to save other kids from him for the greater good.

Hate to be on a desert island with God.

Quote (thesnipa @ Jun 20 2019 10:57am)
LOL

That sounds awesome.

This post was edited by Skinned on Jun 22 2019 07:18pm
Gold: 1.93
Jun 22 2019 07:24pm
I chose to turn from christianity after I read the bible, the stink of mans hand is all over it.
Petty squabbles and genealogy no divine being would care about.
Monsterous parables that show God to be a schizophrenic sociopath at best.
It's basically a historic book of nonsense, a burn book for the class of 0001.
Gold: 285.35
Jun 22 2019 07:36pm
I think a lot of people are just drawn to what the people around them are into.

Personally ive never been a fan of organized religion, I choose to study and read the ancient texts from all cultures. The same themes and rehashed stories appear in most cultures.

After doing DMT I know there is more to the universe but I don't claim to know what it is. I believe in energy and frequencies I guess.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev12345Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll