d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Diablo II > Diablo 2 Discussion > Question About Diablo 1
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 20%
Jun 18 2019 11:53pm
hey guys do you any of you play diablo 1 ? I've been playing diablo for years mainly in d2 LOD but man I want to play diablo 1 just for memory sakes.
Question is, does ANYONE at all still play ? I remember the three classes available were like warrior (today's paladin basically) sorceress (today's act 3 merc) and archer (today's amazon), i might be wrong on these, its been so long.

does anyone still play Diablo 1?

Gold: 170.00
Jun 18 2019 11:56pm
The rights of Diablo I recently been sold to GOG.

They supose to have even online servers for it, but im not sure about it
Jun 19 2019 10:19am
Quote (FreeUsername @ Jun 18 2019 09:56pm)
The rights of Diablo I recently been sold to GOG.

They supose to have even online servers for it, but im not sure about it

o for sure, ya i heard there were online servers too, somebody also told me that you cant run in the game that you have to walk to everywhere you go.
Gold: 31.00
Jun 19 2019 10:34am
Quote (ShaqtinAFool @ Jun 19 2019 10:19am)
o for sure, ya i heard there were online servers too, somebody also told me that you cant run in the game that you have to walk to everywhere you go.

Yeah. No map in town either.

You can still play it on battle.net. You’ll have to open ports and you can google that. No one plays though. There used to be a small community, but the site isn’t up anymore.

Make a sorcerer. Look up builds online. They’re godly in Diablo 1.
Gold: 80.00
Jun 19 2019 01:27pm
You have a couple of options.

Option 1:
- You can download Diablo 1 as abandonware, publicly available for free download on archive.org (https://archive.org/details/Diablo_1996_Blizzard)
- Then download the v1.09 patch available on this link https://diablopat.ch/download.php it is located under the 'Requirements' section of the link
- Then I highly recommend downloading and running DiabloPatch. It is located at the top of the link I included above. It fixes the classic dupe bug, shows HP/Mana numbers, shows what effects shrines will have on you, allows you to highlight items on ground via alt button, allows for quick belt refills by holding shift while hovering over potion in your inventory then clicking it, modern system compatibility updates, and more! You must have the 1.09 patch installed for DiabloPatch to work correctly.
- Installing each of these components is quick straightforward. I was able to pull it off running Wineskin on a Mac.. if you're on a PC this should be a breeze.
- With this path you can play on the old battle.net but you will be placed into a Void channel and can't really play with other players. However, there are still some elements to 1.09 multiplayer that I prefer vs Single Player.

Option 2:
- Purchase Diablo + Hellfire (unofficial expansion with a couple other classes notably the Monk, more spells, items, fast walk in town, etc) combo pack from GOG. It was recently on sale for $9 (normal price $10).
- Like DiabloPatch, GOG has their own modern system compatibility updates. I however could not get the GOG version to run as smoothly on my Mac through Wine as I am able to the old classic version in Option 1.
- Play on GOG's servers which yes have other players online.
- There are also discords you can join where other players are discussing Diablo 1 and matchmaking. https://discordapp.com/channels/555205594760478770/555205595246886972
- DiabloPatch is not currently compatible with the GOG version of Diablo. This may happen later down the road, but the creator has not been active on reddit which is where he has a subreddit dedicated to DiabloPatch for updates and communication.

There are also other mods out there like Diablo HD / Belzebub which aim to modernize the game. A dedicated stash for items, updated graphics, new spells, etc. I haven't played it yet, although might try to do this sometime this week. I enjoy Diablo 1 vanilla and honestly the walking issue isn't that bad. People way over-dramatize that. The town is very small and concise. The dungeons are all conveniently located. And the town portal spell only helps cut down on walking distances.

Hope this helps!

Jun 20 2019 02:03am
Quote (Relm @ Jun 19 2019 08:34am)
Yeah. No map in town either.

You can still play it on battle.net. You’ll have to open ports and you can google that. No one plays though. There used to be a small community, but the site isn’t up anymore.

Make a sorcerer. Look up builds online. They’re godly in Diablo 1.

thanks for the tip bro. Its sad to see my favorite childhood game dying slowly. Im probably the only one in this world that wants to play now
Quote (Mr_Jeb @ Jun 19 2019 11:27am)
You have a couple of options.

Option 1:
- You can download Diablo 1 as abandonware, publicly available for free download on archive.org (https://archive.org/details/Diablo_1996_Blizzard)
- Then download the v1.09 patch available on this link https://diablopat.ch/download.php it is located under the 'Requirements' section of the link
- Then I highly recommend downloading and running DiabloPatch. It is located at the top of the link I included above. It fixes the classic dupe bug, shows HP/Mana numbers, shows what effects shrines will have on you, allows you to highlight items on ground via alt button, allows for quick belt refills by holding shift while hovering over potion in your inventory then clicking it, modern system compatibility updates, and more! You must have the 1.09 patch installed for DiabloPatch to work correctly.
- Installing each of these components is quick straightforward. I was able to pull it off running Wineskin on a Mac.. if you're on a PC this should be a breeze.
- With this path you can play on the old battle.net but you will be placed into a Void channel and can't really play with other players. However, there are still some elements to 1.09 multiplayer that I prefer vs Single Player.

Option 2:
- Purchase Diablo + Hellfire (unofficial expansion with a couple other classes notably the Monk, more spells, items, fast walk in town, etc) combo pack from GOG. It was recently on sale for $9 (normal price $10).
- Like DiabloPatch, GOG has their own modern system compatibility updates. I however could not get the GOG version to run as smoothly on my Mac through Wine as I am able to the old classic version in Option 1.
- Play on GOG's servers which yes have other players online.
- There are also discords you can join where other players are discussing Diablo 1 and matchmaking. https://discordapp.com/channels/555205594760478770/555205595246886972
- DiabloPatch is not currently compatible with the GOG version of Diablo. This may happen later down the road, but the creator has not been active on reddit which is where he has a subreddit dedicated to DiabloPatch for updates and communication.

There are also other mods out there like Diablo HD / Belzebub which aim to modernize the game. A dedicated stash for items, updated graphics, new spells, etc. I haven't played it yet, although might try to do this sometime this week. I enjoy Diablo 1 vanilla and honestly the walking issue isn't that bad. People way over-dramatize that. The town is very small and concise. The dungeons are all conveniently located. And the town portal spell only helps cut down on walking distances.

Hope this helps!

dude this was perfect, you read my mind. thank u bro I wish you success in life in everything you do!
Gold: 31.00
Jun 20 2019 11:56am
I would play online, but friendly fire makes it annoying to play with other people. Especially since a lot of Sorcerer play involves spamming charged bolt to kill things off-screen.
Go Back To Diablo 2 Discussion Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll