d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Gender Discrimination At My Old Uni
Prev12345Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Jun 20 2019 06:33pm
Quote (Skinned @ Jun 21 2019 12:24am)
If we tried it and the majority at a place is white then whatever. That isn't the case really though. I don't mind working in a diverse environment...but I'm in healthcare where diversity is a huge strength.

That being said women were kept out of science for a thousand years, they were let in and you end up with Marie Curie and the double helix shape. You can't assume those who get all the opportunity are the best

And you can't assume those who don't get opportunity are the best. Seeing the problem? Your presumption is that if team A has more diversity than team B, team A is magically guaranteed to be better. Diversity is just a condition, not a prerequisite. When you start giving advantage to people for something outside of their control, you're also disadvantaging others.

Bring on the women into STEM, god I fucking love a woman who can make me feel dumb. But the simple truth is there aren't a lot of them pursuing the fields. We can't just step back, survey, proclaim "there are too many white males here" (in a society that also happens to be white majority), when not enough other demographics are subjectively choosing those careers. All it does it hurt those who want to achieve and create tokenism. Go to an engineering department at a university, for me it's UMD. Note the demographics. Nobody is telling or forcing females to not take the courses; there's no mysterious and unseen force holding them back from applying to these careers.

This post was edited by CarsV on Jun 20 2019 06:44pm
Gold: 285.00
Jun 20 2019 07:48pm
Quote (CarsV @ Jun 20 2019 07:33pm)
And you can't assume those who don't get opportunity are the best. Seeing the problem? Your presumption is that if team A has more diversity than team B, team A is magically guaranteed to be better. Diversity is just a condition, not a prerequisite. When you start giving advantage to people for something outside of their control, you're also disadvantaging others.

Bring on the women into STEM, god I fucking love a woman who can make me feel dumb. But the simple truth is there aren't a lot of them pursuing the fields. We can't just step back, survey, proclaim "there are too many white males here" (in a society that also happens to be white majority), when not enough other demographics are subjectively choosing those careers. All it does it hurt those who want to achieve and create tokenism. Go to an engineering department at a university, for me it's UMD. Note the demographics. Nobody is telling or forcing females to not take the courses; there's no mysterious and unseen force holding them back from applying to these careers.

Its not a mysterious unseen force lol. It is un-mysterious and it is pretty seen. Women in STEM are treated pretty poorly. Just go to the toy isle and observe the forces of socialization at play between the Lego sets meant for little girls and meant for little boys.

You're right about it getting better in all ways as things that encourage egalitarianism play out. Women were not able to engage in the social environment and now they are, due to concrete social changes that have occurred. Same for blacks in America. So these things have happened, things used to be pretty bad in terms of race and gender, and they've improved as you said yourself as women and people of color are able to advance based on their own merit...it seems like you are saying programs like affirmative action and laws that support women with sexual discrimination etc have been effective over years and it is time to dial it back.

Is that your position? Or are you saying it was bad, and it got better, while these programs were in place, and it was just coincidence that it got better when then programs came into existence?

Or are you saying that white males are superior to all other races in all industries in the United States and the meritocracy is already in place, and that women and people of color are finally becoming worth a shit in terms of ability and merit and their advancement in industry and enrollment in colleges reflect their sudden change in genetic quality?

Explain it to me like I'm an 8th grader please.

This post was edited by Skinned on Jun 20 2019 07:51pm
Gold: 12.79
Jun 20 2019 08:01pm
Quote (CarsV @ Jun 21 2019 12:33am)

its the patriarchy obviously, you bigoted cis white male.
Jun 20 2019 08:06pm
Quote (Skinned @ Jun 21 2019 01:48am)
Its not a mysterious unseen force lol. It is un-mysterious and it is pretty seen. Women in STEM are treated pretty poorly. Just go to the toy isle and observe the forces of socialization at play between the Lego sets meant for little girls and meant for little boys.

You're right about it getting better in all ways as things that encourage egalitarianism play out. Women were not able to engage in the social environment and now they are, due to concrete social changes that have occurred. Same for blacks in America. So these things have happened, things used to be pretty bad in terms of race and gender, and they've improved as you said yourself as women and people of color are able to advance based on their own merit...it seems like you are saying programs like affirmative action and laws that support women with sexual discrimination etc have been effective over years and it is time to dial it back.

Is that your position? Or are you saying it was bad, and it got better, while these programs were in place, and it was just coincidence that it got better when then programs came into existence?

Or are you saying that white males are superior to all other races in all industries in the United States and the meritocracy is already in place, and that women and people of color are finally becoming worth a shit in terms of ability and merit and their advancement in industry and enrollment in colleges reflect their sudden change in genetic quality?

The toy aisle, you mean those things that are designed around established gender norms? Boys are naturally physical and destructive and girls like teapots? Pretty bad argument there. It's been scientifically established that sexes have behavioral tendencies. I honestly believe males are more inclined to the STEM fields. Wishing this fact of reality away doesn't change anything because science doesn't care if you agree with it or not.

As for your mumbo jumbo about white male superiority: look, nobody is saying or implying white males are superior except you (irony lol). Right now non-white minorities in the US are just now, in the recent generation or two, gaining ground in STEM fields. It's an inevitable and economical result of the civil rights movement and our society moving forward. So that's going to happen with women, as well. However, for females, it's probably going to be less dramatic and when it's not a huge, dramatic change, it's not because of some ulterior, evil white male cabal. Again, there's nothing, literally NOTHING holding females back from pursuing STEM careers. Nothing. They have the same opportunities and freedoms as everyone else. The simple truth is they aren't naturally inclined to it, which people like you immediately translate to oppression.

There isn't some secret white male faction who gets together and decides who gets in STEM. Well, maybe there is, but they're mostly confined to 4chan and are largely irrelevant in day-to-day life. It is, however, insulting and annoying as fuck when people barge in, point their fingers, and give a demographic of people shit for merely existing and daring to succeed like anybody else. Diversity is always and only a problem when it involves a white majority, chiefly white males. Will it change? With changing demographics and economic conditions, yes. But forcing things to abide to a pie chart isn't going to do favors. As long as the best and most qualified people succeed, damn your political correctness.

Women are the givers of life and men the takers of life. Women create, men maintain and eventually destroy, so women can recreate. Simplified, but that's how it's been since we swung from the tree branches. Only now, since there is no common destruction of life other than our own, the cycle has been thrown into disarray.

I think your fatal flaw is believing the present day feminist when they advocate meritocracy. They don't want meritocracy, they want prestige and privilege. Notice they're not protesting in the streets for road or roof jobs. It's always a "struggle" to get into those high-paying fields.

Political correctness in the form you seek preaches to tear others down instead of elevating to achieve meritocracy. When one is advantaged, another is disadvantaged. That's not true meritocracy. It's veiled hypocrisy.

I might strongly disagree with you at times, but you're better than an 8th grader.

This post was edited by CarsV on Jun 20 2019 08:36pm
Gold: 7,371.00
Jun 20 2019 08:20pm
Quote (Skinned @ Jun 20 2019 06:48pm)

No, they are not, and your example is stupid. I got two degrees now and have spent more than a few semesters in STEM classes and you're full of shit. Women are not treated as less, they are treated the same. Women are not discouraged to sign up for STEM classes, they aren't graded unfairly, they aren't expected to do more than males, etc. Women, in fact, go to college at higher rates than males not only in the US but globally. They self select, at least in the western world, which fields they want to go into. Stop spreading anti-scientific half-truths.

I hope you take the time for some self-improvement and read the following study from the International Journal of Psychology

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/ijop.12529

Gold: 12.79
Jun 20 2019 08:22pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ Jun 21 2019 02:20am)
No, they are not, and your example is stupid. I got two degrees now and have spent more than a few semesters in STEM classes and you're full of shit. Women are not treated as less, they are treated the same. Women are not discouraged to sign up for STEM classes, they aren't graded unfairly, they aren't expected to do more than males, etc. Women, in fact, go to college at higher rates than males not only in the US but globally. They self select, at least in the western world, which fields they want to go into. Stop spreading anti-scientific half-truths.

I hope you take the time for some self-improvement and read the following study from the International Journal of Psychology

Leftist.exe has stopped responding.
Gold: 7,525.35
Jun 20 2019 08:26pm
Quote (TransTankie @ Jun 18 2019 06:19pm)
No it isn't.

Fully agreed with this. Discrimination is often necessary, beneficial and inherent to sentient human life.

Discrimination: recognition and understanding of the difference between one thing and another.

Whether its good or not in the specific scenario given is another matter.
Systematic and total hiring discrimination at Universities based on gender or sex is superficial SJW trash that will likely lead to worse outcomes due to turning away more qualified candidates.
Jun 20 2019 08:38pm
Quote (cambovenzi @ Jun 21 2019 02:26am)
Fully agreed with this. Discrimination is often necessary, beneficial and inherent to sentient human life.

Discrimination: recognition and understanding of the difference between one thing and another.

Systematic and total hiring discrimination at Universities based on gender or sex is superficial SJW trash that will likely lead to worse outcomes due to turning away more qualified candidates.

lol that weird moment when cam, a right-wing capitalist, agrees with a commie.
Jun 21 2019 05:00am
Quote (ofthevoid @ Jun 20 2019 09:20pm)

Who is talking about being graded unfairly?

You guys love beating on your strawmen here. You are attacking arguments I've never made.

You guys don't believe in socialization that's okay...I'm not going to bother your circlejerk anymore.

You guys can be the smartest guys on pard for now on I'm peacing out.

Young privileged male caucasians bitching about affirmative action on internet website. Sorry ya gotta work with the blacks.

I guess my question to cars is: what physical evolutionary changes have occurred in women that have led to be being able to do science engineering and math now when it was impossible before 100 years ago at the most? As evidenced by nondiscrimatory systems informing us that white males are the best ofc.

This post was edited by Skinned on Jun 21 2019 05:10am
Jun 21 2019 05:06am
Quote (cambovenzi @ Jun 20 2019 09:26pm)

We k know you miss the good old days cam and would rather have the older systems of discrimination available, Jim crow etc. That was all probably overstated along with the slavery thing.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev12345Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll