d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Motor Sports & Cars > How Much Would You Pay
123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 166.00
Jun 16 2019 01:36pm
For a horsepower gauge?

Would require a wheel sensor, and wheel measurements

Utterly useless without accurate measurements, obviously
Gold: 167.80
Jun 16 2019 02:17pm
Nothing. Figuring out your horsepower while it's not on a dyno is useless. Should be used for tuning purposes. Not bragging about a small number.
Jun 16 2019 02:55pm
Quote (kurisutofa @ Jun 16 2019 02:17pm)
Nothing. Figuring out your horsepower while it's not on a dyno is useless. Should be used for tuning purposes. Not bragging about a small number.

The dyno is a tool,

It can be replaced (and has been)

The science isn't that complicated, like I said, it would require very accurate measurements

And it would give the exact same reading as a dynamometer, using the same equation, just reading the numbers in an alternate method

E: it may even be MORE accurate, since it eliminates the error associated with wheel spin

This post was edited by Cummies on Jun 16 2019 02:58pm
Jun 16 2019 03:32pm
I do understand your point though

It would be very easy to fudge the numbers, I'm not looking to replace the dyno completely, it has its place

But this would be a tuning tool, a way the measure your power without a dyno

I've been working on the phone app for a while now, I have no problems with the numbers, I'm just at a point where I need to figure out if other people want this

I planned on keeping it to myself, but friends are going crazy, they could just be very supportive friends, or I actually need to go further with it

This post was edited by Cummies on Jun 16 2019 03:40pm
Jun 16 2019 03:39pm
Horsepower is a theoretical number your get based off a constant of torque. Horsepower was create by a miner to estimate the number of horses a engine could replace pulling in a mine. It has very little input on how fast a car is. It's for kids to brag about how fast they think they are. The dyno is a tuning tool. If you're using this as a "street tune" tool, then that's not the right way to go about it. Nothing will beat hooking up computers to tune a vehicle that probably has a lot of money put into it. Going the cheap way is never the right way.
Jun 16 2019 03:45pm
Quote (kurisutofa @ Jun 16 2019 03:39pm)
Horsepower is a theoretical number your get based off a constant of torque. Horsepower was create by a miner to estimate the number of horses a engine could replace pulling in a mine. It has very little input on how fast a car is. It's for kids to brag about how fast they think they are. The dyno is a tuning tool. If you're using this as a "street tune" tool, then that's not the right way to go about it. Nothing will beat hooking up computers to tune a vehicle that probably has a lot of money put into it. Going the cheap way is never the right way.

I'm a few steps ahead of you

I know EXACTLY what a hp # means

I know the scope, I know the average dude will have no use for my method

But there are people who would benefit from it

E: there's nothing cheap or easy other than the fact basically everything is cheaper than dyno time, I know what I charge

This post was edited by Cummies on Jun 16 2019 03:46pm
Jun 16 2019 04:03pm
I'll give you some insight, since I probably seem like a giant douche

The reason a dynamometer works, is because it makes the "distance" variable concrete (why there is error with wheel spin)

But we can get the same data from other sensors

Getting that data isn't difficult, it just holds you responsible to be honest

Because I don't care how far I take this, I'm not taking the # too seriously, it's just an easier way to measure power output,

So even if the readings are some % off of "true" hp, it's a scale you can apply to tuning (so far I've had VERY little discrepancy, literally tenths of hp)
Jun 16 2019 04:11pm
Nothing is perfect. The issue is the dyno is a tuning tool. Assuming you're talking about the run of your mill cheap dyno gauge, you'll get horsepower, torque and rpm. You wont see any bands. Wont see temp. You're missing out on the entire point of a dyno. I dont know any build that benefits from knowing what your horsepower is without all the other tuning properties that come with a dyno.
Jun 16 2019 04:17pm
Quote (kurisutofa @ Jun 16 2019 04:11pm)
Nothing is perfect. The issue is the dyno is a tuning tool. Assuming you're talking about the run of your mill cheap dyno gauge, you'll get horsepower, torque and rpm. You wont see any bands. Wont see temp. You're missing out on the entire point of a dyno. I dont know any build that benefits from knowing what your horsepower is without all the other tuning properties that come with a dyno.

Ok now I see where you're coming from

The answer is no

I don't bullshit, my stagger gauge reads to mm, I have a Bluetooth caliper that reads nanometers

I own a dyno, and I hate needing to be on it for tuning, it's literally the reason I did any of this

Fun fact: it's better for anything carbureted, I can run every sensor without an ECU, and there is less lag since I don't need to go through it
Jun 16 2019 04:24pm
Okay then my only arguement would be ease of access. The gauge will only function under load(as far as I'm aware), so what are you going to? See your horsepower. Pull over. Connect whatever you have to connect for your tuning purposes and so forth. Why not just use the dyno like any real tuner does and do it properly? Without sounding like a dick, I would assume if you're having to ask advice on a diablo website you're probably not as comfortable tuning as you think you are. I've never heard any serious consider these. Real Street Performance, Titan Motorsports, Hefner Performance, and more are around where I live in Florida and I know many of them personally and they would never consider something like this. Theres a reason people pay 100 plus dollars to use them. They work. My daily is running little over 600 to the wheels and I'd never even consider something like that, just from a reliability standpoint alone.
Go Back To Motor Sports & Cars Topic List
123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll