d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Help With Ssd And Hdd > Thanks In Advance
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 9,142.00
Jun 16 2019 08:25am
Hey guys so basically i finally went and built a little gaming rig
my old pc i took my hdd from was AMD and my new is INTEL
so i believe thats why i had to install windows on my ssd
because i couldnt get HDD to boot up with windows installed on ssd it boots fine and it still picks up the hdd

so question is can i remove/delete these files etc without completely reformatting and loosing everything else
Gold: 10,655.00
Jun 16 2019 08:52am
Quote (stokley @ Jun 16 2019 10:25am)
Hey guys so basically i finally went and built a little gaming rig
my old pc i took my hdd from was AMD and my new is INTEL
so i believe thats why i had to install windows on my ssd
because i couldnt get HDD to boot up with windows installed on ssd it boots fine and it still picks up the hdd

so question is can i remove/delete these files etc without completely reformatting and loosing everything else

Yes, you can easily remove anything you want from the hard drive. The old operating system on the hard drive will be pretty useless. When you change the hardware... the operating system will still have the old hardware drivers etc.

/e Usually what people do after they have the operating system installed on the SSD is just format the hard drive and use it for storage.

What are you trying to save, from the hard drive?

This post was edited by Ghot on Jun 16 2019 09:00am
Gold: 1,173.00
Jun 16 2019 05:55pm
Drag dnd drop any files you want and scrub the drive. You can't take programs or anything, only information like pictures, documents, etc.

If you want to take your video games and drag them over you'd have to reinstall them all instead.
Jun 17 2019 07:27am
Quote (Ghot @ Jun 16 2019 10:52am)
Yes, you can easily remove anything you want from the hard drive. The old operating system on the hard drive will be pretty useless. When you change the hardware... the operating system will still have the old hardware drivers etc.

/e Usually what people do after they have the operating system installed on the SSD is just format the hard drive and use it for storage.

What are you trying to save, from the hard drive?

well i just want to remove the files that were for the amd system so if i wanted to i could boot off the hdd and remove windows from ssd and use that as a game library or something

Jun 17 2019 08:33am
Quote (stokley @ Jun 17 2019 09:27am)
well i just want to remove the files that were for the amd system so if i wanted to i could boot off the hdd and remove windows from ssd and use that as a game library or something

That would be backwards. You SHOULD boot off the SSD, and use the hard drive as a game library.

Because you are on different hardware... Intel, this time, if you wanted to boot off the hard drive you would have to format and re-install windows on the hard drive.

You are using Windows 10 as the operating system? How large is the SSD? Are you having trouble activating Windows on the SSD?

This post was edited by Ghot on Jun 17 2019 08:38am
Jun 19 2019 10:01am
Inappropriate Post Content
Jun 20 2019 08:11am
Quote (Ghot @ Jun 17 2019 10:33am)
That would be backwards. You SHOULD boot off the SSD, and use the hard drive as a game library.

Because you are on different hardware... Intel, this time, if you wanted to boot off the hard drive you would have to format and re-install windows on the hard drive.

You are using Windows 10 as the operating system? How large is the SSD? Are you having trouble activating Windows on the SSD?

well i again this is my first time really with building a rig switching from amd to intel and when i origionally built it .. i planned on just booting from the hdd because it was only small ssd and i planned on buying another ssd
so i just wanted to remove the amd shit that prevents the boot of the hdd just because lol and i didnt wanna reformat the hdd but its not a big deal .. im about to order another ssd here soon .. decided to get some more ram and a new psu first

all in all i want windows to booot off ssd and have a ssd for games and whatnot and then i guess hdd for whatver else

remember guys newer at hardware etc so im learning as i go on spare time also while trying to take care of aunts and gmoms houses while nursing an already almost year old medical issues of my own so yaknow how that goes...life :bonk:

edit also no i was having that issue at first but buddy of mine helped me get windows activated

This post was edited by stokley on Jun 20 2019 08:11am
Jun 20 2019 09:01am
Quote (stokley @ Jun 20 2019 10:11am)
well i again this is my first time really with building a rig switching from amd to intel and when i origionally built it .. i planned on just booting from the hdd because it was only small ssd and i planned on buying another ssd
so i just wanted to remove the amd shit that prevents the boot of the hdd just because lol and i didnt wanna reformat the hdd but its not a big deal .. im about to order another ssd here soon .. decided to get some more ram and a new psu first

all in all i want windows to booot off ssd and have a ssd for games and whatnot and then i guess hdd for whatver else

remember guys newer at hardware etc so im learning as i go on spare time also while trying to take care of aunts and gmoms houses while nursing an already almost year old medical issues of my own so yaknow how that goes...life :bonk:

edit also no i was having that issue at first but buddy of mine helped me get windows activated

Best practice is just do a clean install when you switch from AMD to Intel or vise versa.

Device manager is where you can uninstall the drivers that were for AMD. But it's fairly complicated if you're not familiar with Device Manager. It's best just to do a clean install... on the SSD or on the hard drive.
Jun 21 2019 05:35am
Quote (Ghot @ Jun 20 2019 11:01am)
Best practice is just do a clean install when you switch from AMD to Intel or vise versa.

Device manager is where you can uninstall the drivers that were for AMD. But it's fairly complicated if you're not familiar with Device Manager. It's best just to do a clean install... on the SSD or on the hard drive.

alright man greatly appreciated

i will take a look into the steps for w/ device manager and see which route i will take

although not professional ive been playing around with shit for a long time haha im very good problem solver and step taker to fix problems properly and if i feel as tho it is something i cannot handle with reading/videos then ill just wait for my bigger ssd and handle everything accordingly but god thats gonna be a bitch hahah
Jun 21 2019 08:45am
Quote (stokley @ Jun 21 2019 07:35am)
alright man greatly appreciated

i will take a look into the steps for w/ device manager and see which route i will take

although not professional ive been playing around with shit for a long time haha im very good problem solver and step taker to fix problems properly and if i feel as tho it is something i cannot handle with reading/videos then ill just wait for my bigger ssd and handle everything accordingly but god thats gonna be a bitch hahah

I know how you feel. I'm pretty much the same way... not a big fan of change. :)

The problem with the drivers are, that aside from a a few simple ones like video driver and sound driver, there are bits and peices of various motherboard driver ( like the chipset driver), that are liberally spread about under various categories in Device Manager.

That's why it's pretty much a rule of thumb, that when you switch processor manufacturers, you do a clean install of Windows.
Like all those various Intel and AMD patches for those hacks that have happened last year or so... they don't show up anywhere. There is no way to uninstall them... except maybe uninstalling ALL the Windows Updates and manufacturer patches that have occur in the last year or so.

What you're trying to do, is like back when everyone started switching to metric bolts... you are attempting to find every metric bolt in a car engine, and replacing it with standard bolts.
It's far easier just to buy a metric socket set and deal with it. :)
Go Back To Computers & IT Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll