d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Programming & Development > Laptops > As A Programmer/remote
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 2,571.50
Jun 12 2019 05:04pm
Hey! I know there is a Computer Hardware Form, I may also post there, but first I want to ask fellow developers as I'm starting research for a laptop that would allow me to remote somewhere other than where I live.

I would like to ask if anyone has something they use for remote that they absolutely love or if they have any advice/suggestions when I'm researching/picking this out.

Note I have never owned a MAC, but most of my colleagues seem to use them to program. I'm open to learning a new OS for development -- I suppose I'm posting to just get juices flowing Any discussion appreciated!
Gold: 0.00
Jun 12 2019 06:21pm
Quote (Noobtard @ Jun 12 2019 03:04pm)
Hey! I know there is a Computer Hardware Form, I may also post there, but first I want to ask fellow developers as I'm starting research for a laptop that would allow me to remote somewhere other than where I live.

I would like to ask if anyone has something they use for remote that they absolutely love or if they have any advice/suggestions when I'm researching/picking this out.

Note I have never owned a MAC, but most of my colleagues seem to use them to program. I'm open to learning a new OS for development -- I suppose I'm posting to just get juices flowing Any discussion appreciated!

> remote somewhere other than where I live

what does that even mean
Gold: 152.00
Jun 12 2019 09:19pm
Remote access to another computer isn't a hardware concern

For windows, you can use remote desktop connection (Comes with windows by default)

MacOS also has a similar feature.

There are also third party applications like Teamviewer

Gold: 13.37
Jun 13 2019 10:04am
remote access to another machine or remotely work from home for a job?
/confused

This post was edited by cloudrage on Jun 13 2019 10:04am
Gold: 2,571.50
Jun 14 2019 09:03am
Yikes - Yeah sorry guys for the confusion. I mean remotely working from home for my job. Not remotely accessing a computer.

So like currently I work from home somedays and do my programming at home, but as I have been doing this more -- I would like the ability to take a laptop and get out of my house to do my work.
Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
Jun 14 2019 03:20pm
Quote (Noobtard @ Jun 12 2019 07:04pm)

Mac is good bc it has integrated unix environment vs windows pc where you have to SSH using putty or other software. Windows cmd terminal is awkward. You can also develop ios with mac.
Gold: 4,230.00
Jun 14 2019 11:10pm
Quote (BERRISWEET @ Jun 14 2019 11:20pm)
Mac is good bc it has integrated unix environment vs windows pc where you have to SSH using putty or other software. Windows cmd terminal is awkward. You can also develop ios with mac.

Not quite accurate. Windows has WSL and WSL2 just released. The fact is that neither windows or Mac is specifically better. It's more about preference. Both will have quirks that you will have to figure out and work with.
Gold: 1.90
Jun 19 2019 03:33pm
Quote (Noobtard @ Jun 13 2019 12:04am)

as much i understand you could use windows server multipoint 2016
Gold: 2,065.00
Jun 21 2019 06:21am
So to get this straight you are looking to get a computer, so you can work anywhere you want too?

If that is correct, i would get a mac. If you decide that you dont like mac, instead of having to reinvest into something else, you can always install windows OS on it, with boot camp. But i would suggest spending the extra money and getting a decent processor/gfx card and such to go along with it.
Go Back To Programming & Development Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll