d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Motor Sports & Cars > Question About Buying A Used Car > ~
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Jun 10 2019 11:05pm
Ok so here is the facts.

I am 19, I got my license last November. I am thinking about buying a used car from somebody off the streets. The car checks out, everything is good but I have a few questions that I don't know who else to ask.

I have never owned a car whether it was new/used
I have never had insurance before. When I buy this car, I plan on parking it in the garage where my mother's house is until I get the proper insurance.

My question is, when buying the car, what's the process? Does the buyer and I go to a DMV and sign all the necessary papers? Or?

Also, after all the necessary papers are signed, can I drive the car home without insurance and license plates, and just getting everything later on? Seems like a really stupid question to ask, but I need to know all this information. Please let me know, thanks!
Gold: 167.80
Jun 11 2019 03:54pm
All he has to do is sign the title and possibly a buyers order depending on the state. Driving a car without a tag is pretty illegal and depending on the state driving without insurance is illegal too. I would play it safe and get it titled and insured before driving but if you choose not to and get pulled over, that's on you. Cop may be nice. May not be.
Jun 11 2019 05:56pm
Quote (kurisutofa @ Jun 11 2019 04:54pm)
All he has to do is sign the title and possibly a buyers order depending on the state. Driving a car without a tag is pretty illegal and depending on the state driving without insurance is illegal too. I would play it safe and get it titled and insured before driving but if you choose not to and get pulled over, that's on you. Cop may be nice. May not be.

"What you in here for lil homie?"
"Driving without a license plate and insurance"
"Toot that ass up homeboy"
Gold: 1,250.00
Jun 11 2019 06:00pm
Quote (me1 @ Jun 11 2019 07:56pm)
"What you in here for lil homie?"
"Driving without a license plate and insurance"
"Toot that ass up homeboy"

In Michigan you just need a signed title with no lein holder and go to DMV and get it transferred to you. In Michigan you are allowed to drive it home with no plates and insurance as long as the title is in your possession and it's dated on that day. I would call the DMV and ask them. If you have the VIN number you can get insurance before you even buy it or the same day depending on the company. I just call mine and tell them to add another vehicle and they just add it to my bill.

This post was edited by SheriffCool on Jun 11 2019 06:01pm
Jun 30 2019 08:00pm
Why not get it from a dealership? When I looked for my first car I spent maybe a month meeting private owners and they were all sketchy just felt like they were trying to sell me junk. Bought my 2008 corolla at 110,000miles in 2014 and its at 190,000miles now and honestly have never had any issues at all mechanically.

depends alot on states i think... in VA you have to have proof of insurance or pay a $500 uninsured fee at the time of registering at DMV, but if you go through a dealership they give you a ~30day dealership license plate and handle all the transfer to you. you also need to have an active state inspection on hand for transferring title im 99% sure.

honestly really consider dealership route. i know theyre more expensive than private owner but its really worth it, just personal experience. that $1,000 or even $2,000 extra price tag dealerships add on their cars is worth it especially if you plan on driving the car an additional ~100,000miles. you spend alot on gas, insurance, maintenance long run.
Go Back To Motor Sports & Cars Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll