d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Any Cyclers? > Buying A Bike In July
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 6,723.69
Jun 1 2019 03:10am
Hi!

I've been slowly turning from a mountainbiker into road racer ^^ but I haven't got a proper bike for it yet.
I either end up doing smaller bouts using a marlin gary fisher or I borrow my dad's Stevens hybrid, but I'm looking to buy a racing bike in a few months when time allows
Show me your bike and/or comment on below to help me out :)
Also, pictures of your nicest findings! I sometimes find the most amazing views right outside my doorstep!

What I'm looking for:
-I tend to cycle alongside a canal for 80 km bouts. I aim to increase distance rather than speed
-Don't care much for different terrains or huge speed buffs, so I'm looking at endurance rather than performance bikes.
-I don't want a too rigid framework. Don't want to get home with a broken back :P
-~600-1000 Eu budget

What I've seen so far:
-Trek émonda ALR 4
-Giant Contend SL1
-Specialized Allez ('cuz cheap XD)
-Scott Speedster 40

Personal preferences
-Wouldn't need disk brakes so I'd rather not pay unnecessary money. Plus, I can't replace those myself (yet)
-Tiagra set is fine because it fits road-only cyclers best, but Ultegra is welcome if budget allows

Would it be doable to get an ultegra set on the scott speedster 40 and be done for 700 bucks or so? :p
Gold: 10,278.69
Trader: Trusted
Jun 1 2019 11:50am
dude, ultegra groupset alone is like >600 euro alone.

If I were you I'd prioritize getting a nice frame, everything else is a lot easier to upgrade. If you're not pro and riding crazy descents in the wet, rim brakes will be just fine + cheaper and much easier maintenance.

105 > ultegra on a budget, they basically perform the same, mechanical ultegra is just lighter.

You could also look at second-hand bikes, by far where you'll get the most out of your money.
Jun 1 2019 03:21pm
Quote (Sunline @ Jun 1 2019 06:50pm)
dude, ultegra groupset alone is like >600 euro alone.

If I were you I'd prioritize getting a nice frame, everything else is a lot easier to upgrade. If you're not pro and riding crazy descents in the wet, rim brakes will be just fine + cheaper and much easier maintenance.

105 > ultegra on a budget, they basically perform the same, mechanical ultegra is just lighter.

You could also look at second-hand bikes, by far where you'll get the most out of your money.

Yeah, I realize ultegra is a luxury but it being lighter matters a great deal :)
I'm a little bit afraid of buying a second-hand. You never quite know for sure what you're getting :( But it may be a necessity.

So assuming 105 or tiagra and with that budget, what do you suppose is a good bike to look for? I like the scott speedster for its looks :P and I've always been a Trek fan myself. Giant and Canondale seem to have decent alternatives (and there are a lot of second-hand giants out there where I'm at)
Gold: 10,278.69
Trader: Trusted
Jun 4 2019 06:28am
Quote (Forg0tten @ 1 Jun 2019 22:21)
Yeah, I realize ultegra is a luxury but it being lighter matters a great deal :)
I'm a little bit afraid of buying a second-hand. You never quite know for sure what you're getting :( But it may be a necessity.

So assuming 105 or tiagra and with that budget, what do you suppose is a good bike to look for? I like the scott speedster for its looks :P and I've always been a Trek fan myself. Giant and Canondale seem to have decent alternatives (and there are a lot of second-hand giants out there where I'm at)

light weight and budget doesn't go hand in hand, unfortunately :( But since you mentioned speed doesn't matter that much to you, I definitely wouldn't want to go for the lighter and more expensive options.

According to what you want to do, I would definitely go for an endurance bike, something with a little more relaxed geometry. Cannondale Synapse is pretty nice, don't know too many other endurance bikes.

And there's no shame in buying a sexy bike, but if you're leaning towards buying from a local shop, make sure they also know how to fit it for you.
Gold: 0.00
Jun 22 2019 03:25pm
Quote (Sunline @ Jun 4 2019 01:28pm)
light weight and budget doesn't go hand in hand, unfortunately :( But since you mentioned speed doesn't matter that much to you, I definitely wouldn't want to go for the lighter and more expensive options.

According to what you want to do, I would definitely go for an endurance bike, something with a little more relaxed geometry. Cannondale Synapse is pretty nice, don't know too many other endurance bikes.

And there's no shame in buying a sexy bike, but if you're leaning towards buying from a local shop, make sure they also know how to fit it for you.

The Synapse begin from 1300 upwards from the looks of it? :/
@DeMarcus I can't find much information on the specifications of that bike. You got any more details about that?
Gold: 79,366.46
Jun 22 2019 08:41pm
This post is a violation of the site rules and appropriate action was taken.

You would probably find this forum helpful:

https://www.reddit.com/r/lgbt/
Warn: 10%
Jun 22 2019 11:48pm
Get a GT pro performer heritage 29 BMX.
Gold: 423.00
Warn: 20%
Jun 26 2019 05:31am
Cycling is for poofs like Terps
Jun 27 2019 11:16pm
Quote (BruinGoonSquad @ Jun 26 2019 03:31am)
Cycling is for poofs like Terps

He cant actually ride a bike dumbass .
Go Back To Sports Coliseum Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll