d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Motor Sports & Cars > Fixing Up My Suburban
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 3.00
May 19 2019 12:31am
Quote (VisshusFemme @ May 18 2019 11:56am)
Anything with rubber lines should be inspected. Brake lines, fuel lines, vacuum hoses. All of it. Have your rotating electrical checked as well. It can be done on the car at any auto parts store.

I would also recommend taking g it to a mechanic you trust and have them run a full,real time diagnostic on it. Even though there isn't a check engine light on, it will give you a real time map of how your engine is running.

If you're getting ready to change your oil, dump a can of seafoam in the oil and drive it for about 50-60 miles, then change your oil. It cleans build up and deposits left on your internals. Do not go more than 60-65 miles with the seafoam in your oil. Substitute a quart of oil during your oil change with Lucas heavy duty oil stabilizer. LiquiMoly has an engine cleaned as well.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Just replaced some crusty fuel lines and my idle air control valve today so that fixed that last of my problems so far, I put a can of sea foam in the gas and oil a few days ago but I haven’t drove her much, gonna change the oil tomorrow and add a qt of the Lucas oil like you recommended, hopefully I’ll have time to flush the cooling system and transmission as well and run the last bit of gas outta her and drop the tank and clean/flush that. I’ll let you know how it goes I really appreciate all of your advice <3 what are your thought on a throttle body spacer? I see they make some for horsepower and some for gas mileage, I just kinda feel it’s a lotta $ for a small project and should definitely wait on it for now but figured I’d bring it up since I already rebuilt my tbi

This post was edited by TaoTeChing on May 19 2019 12:32am
Gold: 47.45
May 19 2019 10:58am
You can put the throttle body spacer on the list of wants instead of needs. You should be focused on getting everything mechanically sound before you start the other.

I'm glad the advice is helping you. I love helping people. And it's what I get paid to do career wise.

Before changing the oil, you should really put some miles on the engine or it's a waste of money and time. Getting the seafoam through the engine is what's going to help it.

As far as the Lucas, get the high mileage oil stabilizer.

Gold: 1,535.00
May 19 2019 01:02pm
if youre going to seafoam, get a set of plugs, because you WILL foul them also, at least put some fresh gas in with the old shit.... running that stuff is dumb....

also a tb spacer on a stock motor... no reason to do that.

also, let ur neighbors know before you use the seafoam, i know people who have had the fire dept show up thinking something was on fire
May 19 2019 01:17pm
Most of the time the seafoam makes the vehicle smoke when put through the intake...
May 19 2019 01:23pm
intake/crankcase/booster
May 19 2019 03:09pm
Quote (KoJ @ May 19 2019 01:23pm)
intake/crankcase/booster

Never had one smoke through the crankcase.

This post was edited by VisshusFemme on May 19 2019 03:10pm
May 19 2019 03:22pm
Quote (VisshusFemme @ May 19 2019 02:09pm)
Never had one smoke through the crankcase.

i have :D
May 19 2019 03:23pm
Quote (KoJ @ May 19 2019 03:22pm)
i have :D

I did have one smoke out my neighborhood when we fed it through the intake manifold... Mosquitos were not a problem for a few weeks...
May 19 2019 04:42pm
Quote (KoJ @ May 19 2019 12:02pm)
if youre going to seafoam, get a set of plugs, because you WILL foul them also, at least put some fresh gas in with the old shit.... running that stuff is dumb....

also a tb spacer on a stock motor... no reason to do that.

also, let ur neighbors know before you use the seafoam, i know people who have had the fire dept show up thinking something was on fire

Gas is almost gone now I’d rather run it dry so I can drop the tank and clean it, and we own both lots on the side of our house so we don’t have any neighbors on our block so the smoke isn’t a problem, just took it to the auto store and had a guy check my electrical and everything’s running smooth I feel when I flush the gas tank and oil it’ll be mechanically sound but we’ll see i’ll keep you guys posted, just changed a radiator hose and temp control because they were looking crusty I’m starting to run outta stuff to do to the engine though, it’s almost time to start ordering some fancy parts off summitracing just for funsies xD

May 19 2019 11:31pm
Started getting some backfires and hesitation again when under load at around 1500/2000rpms but was also almost outta gas, threw 20$ in gas and ran her a little longer and saw a spark fly out one of the distributor caps at around 3000rpms in park (main one in the dead center) which could possibly be causing the hesitation problems so I’m going to replace my distributor cap / rotor here soon and bring in w/e that electrical thing is under the distributor cap and they can tell me if it’s functioning properly, kinda sad it’s doing this again but if it’s the cap then I believe what I think is a backfire is just popping and a new distributor cap would fix my problem, gonna run to the store tomorrow and swap it and let you guys know how it goes
/just looked and I have the original stock distributor cap from 1992 still on there the old school black one :lol: definitely causing problems

This post was edited by TaoTeChing on May 19 2019 11:42pm
Go Back To Motor Sports & Cars Topic List
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll