d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Motor Sports & Cars > Fixing Up My Suburban
123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 3.00
May 17 2019 11:06pm
Fixing up my 1992 Chevy Suburban k1500 5.7 V8 , sat untouched for two years, started up like a beast with a jump but when diving had hesitation problems / backfires at 1500rpms sometimes more/less (was hardly driveable) , list of stuff I’ve replaced over the past couple days

O2 Sensor
EGR Valve
MAP Sensor
Throttle Sensor
Fuel Filter
Spark Plugs
Spark Plug Wires
PCV Valve / Tubing
Throttle Injectors
Throttle Body

Runs like a champ now

Just YouTubing the shit as I go, I had zero prior knowledge about cars before going about any of this, part of the reason why I am doing this so I can learn and I’m fortunate enough to have an engine that only requires a wrench and elbow grease to rebuild just about everything, if you have any tips or suggestions I would love to hear them and will look further into it, needs some interior and body work but I’m more focused on engine work for now even though she runs better than she ever has. Gonna use it to pull some heavy shit so lifting isn’t an option for me but any other upgrades you guys can think of I would love to look in, thanks for looking :).
Gold: 166.00
May 17 2019 11:34pm
My honest advice would be to dump the TBI

If that's out of the question, just keep it happy and make sure you don't go too heavy, the leaf springs and trans will go before anything else
Gold: 47.45
May 17 2019 11:46pm
Seems like you're off to a wonderful start. Check the belts, make sure they are not showing signs of dry rot, as well as the upper and lower radiator hoses, heater hoses, and bypass hoses. Be careful with the hose connectors going to the heater core, as they age they become brittle and tend to break. Replacing the radiator cap is also a good idea at some point.

Highly recommend flushing your cooling system and starting with new coolant.
If you have time, and are inclined, drop the fuel tank and flush/clean it. While you have the tank down, look at your fuel pump and check the strainer.

This post was edited by VisshusFemme on May 17 2019 11:46pm
May 17 2019 11:59pm
Quote (Cummies @ May 17 2019 10:34pm)
My honest advice would be to dump the TBI

If that's out of the question, just keep it happy and make sure you don't go too heavy, the leaf springs and trans will go before anything else

Hey thanks I’ll look into that, just got a new trans few years ago but I’m sure my leaf springs need replaced

Quote (VisshusFemme @ May 17 2019 10:46pm)
Seems like you're off to a wonderful start. Check the belts, make sure they are not showing signs of dry rot, as well as the upper and lower radiator hoses, heater hoses, and bypass hoses. Be careful with the hose connectors going to the heater core, as they age they become brittle and tend to break. Replacing the radiator cap is also a good idea at some point.

Highly recommend flushing your cooling system and starting with new coolant.
If you have time, and are inclined, drop the fuel tank and flush/clean it. While you have the tank down, look at your fuel pump and check the strainer.

Yeah changing the hoses was next on my to do list I took one off to see how dirty it was and the end just crumbled into pieces so I’m gonna go to the store tomorrow and replace the rest of them. I do plan on dropping the tank once it’s empty (at half a tank of 2yr old gas lol ) but I didn’t think about flushing the cooling system so i’ll definitely get around to that, I’m sure I also need a new radiator cap as my current one is older than I am :lol:
May 18 2019 12:10am
I have a few other suggestions... If you would like to hear them.
Gold: 166.00
May 18 2019 12:15am
Quote (TaoTeChing @ May 17 2019 11:59pm)
Hey thanks I’ll look into that, just got a new trans few years ago but I’m sure my leaf springs need replaced

Yeah changing the hoses was next on my to do list I took one off to see how dirty it was and the end just crumbled into pieces so I’m gonna go to the store tomorrow and replace the rest of them. I do plan on dropping the tank once it’s empty (at half a tank of 2yr old gas lol ) but I didn’t think about flushing the cooling system so i’ll definitely get around to that, I’m sure I also need a new radiator cap as my current one is older than I am :lol:

Wat do you plan on towing? The trans may be newer, but if you're overloading it, it could be the first to pop

You said some heavy shit, would be fine on the suspension if it were balanced well, and typically GM fails between the block and the wheels
May 18 2019 12:35am
Quote (VisshusFemme @ May 17 2019 11:10pm)
I have a few other suggestions... If you would like to hear them.

I’d love to hear all of them honestly. Like I said I had zero prior knowledge before any of this and the hardest part has been identifying what is what. I’ve been cleaning the shit outta the engine bay just to get a feel for what’s there and what i’m working with but once I can identify a problem and find a video to go with it the rest is cake elbow grease ain’t shit for me

Quote (Cummies @ May 17 2019 11:15pm)
Wat do you plan on towing? The trans may be newer, but if you're overloading it, it could be the first to pop

You said some heavy shit, would be fine on the suspension if it were balanced well, and typically GM fails between the block and the wheels

Just gonna pull a small boat and some yard waste and I have an aluminum trailer so even when full it’s not going to be too heavy, I should have phrased that a little better my apologies, I wouldn’t mind replacing the trans again though so I could go at it by myself xD only thing I don’t wanna do myself is fix my window that shit looked scary online lmao

This post was edited by TaoTeChing on May 18 2019 12:35am
May 18 2019 12:56pm
Anything with rubber lines should be inspected. Brake lines, fuel lines, vacuum hoses. All of it. Have your rotating electrical checked as well. It can be done on the car at any auto parts store.

I would also recommend taking g it to a mechanic you trust and have them run a full,real time diagnostic on it. Even though there isn't a check engine light on, it will give you a real time map of how your engine is running.

If you're getting ready to change your oil, dump a can of seafoam in the oil and drive it for about 50-60 miles, then change your oil. It cleans build up and deposits left on your internals. Do not go more than 60-65 miles with the seafoam in your oil. Substitute a quart of oil during your oil change with Lucas heavy duty oil stabilizer. LiquiMoly has an engine cleaned as well.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
Gold: 1,500.00
May 18 2019 04:29pm
why would you fix/replace a trans thats already been replaced? is there something wrong with it?

also, id siphon that fuel out and not run it, that shits junk, probably where half of your problems came from
May 18 2019 10:41pm
I agree with him here. That's why I said drop the tank and clean it.

Go Back To Motor Sports & Cars Topic List
123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll