d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Movies & TV Shows > Mortal Kombat Movie Will Start Filming This Year
Prev123
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 63,142.89
May 24 2019 10:09pm
How does one take this IP and shape it into a cohesive narrative?

Would it be modeled after X-men? You start with an ensemble cast of heroes with supernatural powers. You give them each backstories and connections to one another, then go about exploring their relationships?

Do you structure it around a tournament? Perhaps an ancient leader is dead/retiring and competition is held for people to claim the spot as his successor. In that case, the plot structure would have some similarities with Robin Hood.

This post was edited by Kayeto on May 24 2019 10:09pm
Gold: 250.00
Warn: 10%
May 25 2019 07:09pm
Quote (Kayeto @ May 24 2019 09:09pm)
How does one take this IP and shape it into a cohesive narrative?

Would it be modeled after X-men? You start with an ensemble cast of heroes with supernatural powers. You give them each backstories and connections to one another, then go about exploring their relationships?

Do you structure it around a tournament? Perhaps an ancient leader is dead/retiring and competition is held for people to claim the spot as his successor. In that case, the plot structure would have some similarities with Robin Hood.

There's no feasible way to make this not suck. Either they land an amazing writer, who pulls something out of their ass that has NOTHING to do with MK, but uses the characters and this ends up surprising people by not being total dogshit, or they try and make it a tournament / go into the backstories a bunch and it all goes straight to fucking hell. The villains and heroes in this series are cheesy as fuck, it's a great fighting game (not a fan of the latest installments tbh), but they need to stop making movies out of games.

I feel like the game to movie adaptation is possible, but they need to stop fucking around with this dumb shit. You could do a space thriller/horror type thing if you toned down on the action A LOT for like Deadspace. Or you could make something like Splinter Cell or Metal Gear Solid work, MGS with Reeves would be pretty sick.

This post was edited by jadeoshbogosh on May 25 2019 07:09pm
Gold: 25.20
May 25 2019 11:21pm
Quote (jadeoshbogosh @ May 25 2019 07:09pm)
There's no feasible way to make this not suck. Either they land an amazing writer, who pulls something out of their ass that has NOTHING to do with MK, but uses the characters and this ends up surprising people by not being total dogshit, or they try and make it a tournament / go into the backstories a bunch and it all goes straight to fucking hell. The villains and heroes in this series are cheesy as fuck, it's a great fighting game (not a fan of the latest installments tbh), but they need to stop making movies out of games.

I feel like the game to movie adaptation is possible, but they need to stop fucking around with this dumb shit. You could do a space thriller/horror type thing if you toned down on the action A LOT for like Deadspace. Or you could make something like Splinter Cell or Metal Gear Solid work, MGS with Reeves would be pretty sick.

They could do it like I've seen a few animes do it. Through backstory flashbacks.

There is a tournament where the fighters show up, and each episode highlights a fight in the tournament. A character's backstories are explored when that character's match in the tournament is featured in that episode.

As the tournament advances some characters have had more focus and they become your main characters, whom you also learn previous connections for through the flashbacks as well.

Season 1 finale a huge connection is shown that links characters together
Season 2 the flashbacks stop and the plot only moves forward

This is like an episode format though.
I don't think there is a good way to do a movie.

This post was edited by FroggyG on May 25 2019 11:26pm
Gold: 250.00
Warn: 10%
May 25 2019 11:42pm
Quote (FroggyG @ May 25 2019 10:21pm)
They could do it like I've seen a few animes do it. Through backstory flashbacks.

There is a tournament where the fighters show up, and each episode highlights a fight in the tournament. A character's backstories are explored when that character's match in the tournament is featured in that episode.

As the tournament advances some characters have had more focus and they become your main characters, whom you also learn previous connections for through the flashbacks as well.

Season 1 finale a huge connection is shown that links characters together
Season 2 the flashbacks stop and the plot only moves forward

This is like an episode format though.
I don't think there is a good way to do a movie.

A TV show is plausible, never said it wasn't. I said a movie based on this is going to fucking suck and it will. TV opens up endless possibilities and even the most fucking ridiculous/stupid stories, can be given meaning and depth with a well-done TV show.

This post was edited by jadeoshbogosh on May 25 2019 11:43pm
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 30%
May 26 2019 08:43am
Quote (jadeoshbogosh @ May 26 2019 01:42am)
A TV show is plausible, never said it wasn't. I said a movie based on this is going to fucking suck and it will. TV opens up endless possibilities and even the most fucking ridiculous/stupid stories, can be given meaning and depth with a well-done TV show.

Only way a TV show would work is with someone like HBO. Anyone else would most likely water it down. Something like MK needs no restrictions.
Gold: 423.00
Warn: 20%
May 28 2019 01:43pm
Why the fuck Adelaide lol horrible city
Jun 23 2019 07:17pm
Quote (-=vasya=- @ May 15 2019 09:18am)
"More than two decades after the last movie, another Mortal Kombat film is on the way. Pre-production will start this month and the cameras are scheduled to start rolling in Adelaide, Australia later this year. South Australia Premier Steven Marshall said it'll be the biggest film production in the state's history."

Sounds promising, maybe it will actually happen this time. I hope its gonna be similar to MK short movies coz that shit was dope af

This was my favourite from short series

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxkHS5tTcuM[/VIDEO]

this series had great production. thanks for the update. hopefully they make this right!
Sep 23 2019 04:51am
Gold: 6.69
Sep 25 2019 12:08am
Quote (Bazi @ May 20 2019 07:55pm)
first was ok

2nd is ass tho lol

This
Go Back To Movies & TV Shows Topic List
Prev123
Add Reply New Topic New Poll