d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Alyssa Milano Fights Abortion Laws By... > Calling For A " Sex Strike "
Prev1161718
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 7,525.35
May 19 2019 07:30am
Quote (Crud1ty @ May 19 2019 09:15am)
Im just accurately commenting on the content of your post

sub-80
Gold: 945.00
May 19 2019 07:36am
Quote (cambovenzi @ May 19 2019 02:30pm)
sub-80

Not being very pro-life at certain perceived IQ levels there.. Can we kill babies if they're not smart enough?

Oww.. actually a better question:

What is the pro-life stance on the 6th mass extinction? I thought this would be an important subject for them.. But it's difficult to google, seems like they don't care about life ?

This post was edited by Knoppie on May 19 2019 07:38am
Gold: 2,364.01
May 19 2019 07:42am
Quote (Knoppie @ May 19 2019 03:36pm)
Not being very pro-life at certain perceived IQ levels there.. Can we kill babies if they're not smart enough?

Oww.. actually a better question:

What is the pro-life stance on the 6th mass extinction? I thought this would be an important subject for them.. But it's difficult to google, seems like they don't care about life ?

I guess they want to draw the line where they see it fit...
Gold: 945.00
May 19 2019 07:49am
Quote (Crud1ty @ May 19 2019 02:42pm)
I guess they want to draw the line where they see it fit...

Meaning that the name of the movement is poorly chosen.. Better to call it anti-abortion or anti self-determination for women...

This post was edited by Knoppie on May 19 2019 07:52am
Gold: 0.00
May 19 2019 08:28am
Quote (dro94 @ May 18 2019 11:45pm)
Addressed that here:

Thor's post makes essentially the same argument I would:

Quote (Thor123422 @ May 19 2019 12:15am)
The rights of the mother don't disappear when in conflict with the rights of the fetus.

That's not how rights work.

If you say "Your rights end where another begins" then it goes both ways. Mother's right to bodily autonomy, fetus's right to life (which doesn't even exist in the United States in the first and second trimester since it's not a person).

Gold: 119,903.34
May 19 2019 09:03am
For me argument comes down to viability to survive outside of the womb and the existence of a nervous system.

But I'm mostly indifferent to the point you could say I'm pro abortion unless it's mine.

Not to throw the topic to the side but I wonder what will be the thoughts of people when people start growing babies in labs instead of females carrying them themselves.

A baby made outside the womb but then the parents of it decide they don't actually want to go through with being parents. Do we have laws that basically then just take care of it until it's a real baby or would termination be allowed up till a certain point.

This could get weird considering it's more than likely gonna be a female's egg and a guy's sperm which can be argued it is their property in a sense, so would the argument be then molded to the similar roe v wade ruling that once the development hits a certain point, their "property" is now considered a life. And what happens if a parent wants it but the other decides to bail. If the guy decides to keep the kid, does the state go after the mom to pay child support and vice versa.

Gonna be an interesting future.

This post was edited by sir_lance_bb on May 19 2019 09:04am
Gold: 2,364.01
May 19 2019 09:33am
Quote (sir_lance_bb @ May 19 2019 05:03pm)
For me argument comes down to viability to survive outside of the womb and the existence of a nervous system.

But I'm mostly indifferent to the point you could say I'm pro abortion unless it's mine.

Not to throw the topic to the side but I wonder what will be the thoughts of people when people start growing babies in labs instead of females carrying them themselves.

A baby made outside the womb but then the parents of it decide they don't actually want to go through with being parents. Do we have laws that basically then just take care of it until it's a real baby or would termination be allowed up till a certain point.

This could get weird considering it's more than likely gonna be a female's egg and a guy's sperm which can be argued it is their property in a sense, so would the argument be then molded to the similar roe v wade ruling that once the development hits a certain point, their "property" is now considered a life. And what happens if a parent wants it but the other decides to bail. If the guy decides to keep the kid, does the state go after the mom to pay child support and vice versa.

yeah generally speaking people are having difficulties fathoming their surroundings.

tl;dr who actually gives a fuck?
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 10%
May 19 2019 09:59am
forced into incubator violates inalienable rights? lol?
isn't this part of the foundation of right to life?
this would be like getting mad at an EMS worker from zapping you back to life after drowning
right to die?
Gold: 4,400.67
May 19 2019 02:29pm
Quote (sir_lance_bb @ 19 May 2019 17:03)

an interesting thought experiment. I dont think it will ever be relevant though. if we have the technology to cultivate babies in an incubator, we will almost certainly also have the technology to genetically engineer babies. at this point, we'll have designer babies like in various scifi movies, and throwing away those with inferior genetics will be common place.

also, lets not forget how morals are shaped by the laws of nature: one of the reasons why human society fancies young fertile women, and why pregnant women and fetuses are considered so worthy of protection is their relative scarcity. throughout all of human history, the number of fertile young women has been the evolutionary bottleneck of our species. if we want to populate an unsettled land as quickly as possible, it's better to send 20 men and 80 women than 80 men and 20 women.

we attribute value to human life because of its scarcity and the amount of resources (time, food, care) that goes into it. this btw is one of the reasons why overpopulation and high fertility rates increase the likelihood of violence and war.
once we have the technology to cultivate babies in incubators those things are all reduced, and the perceived value of human life itself will go down accordingly.

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on May 19 2019 02:30pm
Gold: 260.11
May 22 2019 12:53am
My wife is watching the last GoT episode and I just filled the front page.

I am victory incarnate
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1161718
Add Reply New Topic New Poll