d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Homework Help > Anatomy/kinesiology Questions
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 1,440.00
Apr 29 2019 09:39am
I'm trying to describe the throwing phase of a javelin throw. I'm specifically looking at what is occurring during the horizontal adduction at the shoulder, the extension of the knee in the lower extremity, and the stability of the core during the throwing/delivery phase. For each joint I'm trying to describe the movement during one movement phase. The questions are to describe...
1. movement phase or segment
2. List the plane(s)
3. List the axis(es)
4. List the type(s) of motion (i.e., flexion, abduction, etc.)
5.The range of motion (ROM) degrees for the specific joint motion

Please let me know if you have any advice.
Gold: 72,500.00
Apr 29 2019 12:44pm
Max Range of motion is well established in textbooks. I would recommend watching a video of the olympic javelin throw on youtube so you can pause it and pay close attention to what is going on. Also the three typical planes that are used is well established, sagital, frontal, and transverse. From those planes you have defined motion types.... There are several websites out there which will summarize it both visually and linguistically.

I
Gold: 1,440.00
Apr 29 2019 04:59pm
Quote (ResIpsaLoquitor @ Apr 29 2019 01:44pm)
Max Range of motion is well established in textbooks. I would recommend watching a video of the olympic javelin throw on youtube so you can pause it and pay close attention to what is going on. Also the three typical planes that are used is well established, sagital, frontal, and transverse. From those planes you have defined motion types.... There are several websites out there which will summarize it both visually and linguistically.

I

For the horizontal adduction at the shoulder when the javelin is extended above the head, I believe it looks like this would be all three planes of motion (sagittal, frontal, and transverse). Anyone agree? I'm not sure what the axis would be.
Gold: 72,500.00
Apr 29 2019 07:03pm
I am not looking at it, but you are correct in the that the shoulder joint would alow for multiple planes for motion and also potential multiple axial motions. Of note is the Hip Joint can also provide multiple axial motions and planes.

Gold: 6,723.69
May 21 2019 02:59pm
Quote (aman1 @ Apr 29 2019 11:59pm)
For the horizontal adduction at the shoulder when the javelin is extended above the head, I believe it looks like this would be all three planes of motion (sagittal, frontal, and transverse). Anyone agree? I'm not sure what the axis would be.

The planes are just means to describe the movement. If you observe an adduction/abduction movement, you can label them using the planes (i.e. frontal plane for that one, or a combination, as a throw is a 3D movement. Like any functional movement is hah). They're your platform to describe the movements.
Find braxton in the donor forum for PT questions, or PM me, but I may reply (very) late. We're both PTs

This post was edited by Forg0tten on May 21 2019 03:00pm
Go Back To Homework Help Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll