May 14 2019 08:25pm
stretch yo
Gold: 364.69
Warn: 30%
May 19 2019 11:27am
Inflammation help can start with your diet
Gold: 6,165.00
May 20 2019 04:08pm
I'm curious to hear the explanation to avoid chiropractic?? That was a life saver for me...
Gold: 37.26
May 20 2019 08:40pm
Quote (Tonice @ May 14 2019 09:25pm)
stretch yo

Honestly this has been the most effective so far.
Lots of low weight or body weight exercises, and lots of lower back stretches.
Was hesitant to work out and stretch through pain because that can make things worse but i haven't felt this good in months.

Quote (powwpoww @ May 19 2019 12:27pm)
Inflammation help can start with your diet

Ty for advice, i eat relatively healthy though. Cook almost my meals, lots of salmon, chicken, unprocessed foods.

Quote (JewMaster @ May 20 2019 05:08pm)
I'm curious to hear the explanation to avoid chiropractic?? That was a life saver for me...

All he said when i asked about it was 'i dont think it would help'

I know some doctors feel chiropractic is unscientific and unproven since its origins were based in pseudoscience.

Im guessing that is how he felt.

Gold: 32,090.31
May 21 2019 02:44pm
Quote (LAP4JSP @ May 14 2019 03:43pm)
Its odd because ive always had good deadlifts for my size, and i used to work out my lower back quite a bit. So i dont think its a muscular strength issue, but maybe im wrong.

But who knows, i would love to hear some suggestions on progressions, also extensions.

Having good deadlifts doesn't correlate to strong stabilizers of core musculature. Work on transverse abdominis strengthening primarily and then also quadratus lumborum. Probably easier to google things for that but I can give you some if you'd like.

In terms of progressing, you usually want to work on extension movements to start and work on strengthening TA and QL, then progress into heavier extension movements, then slowly start to incorporate flexion movements into your program.

Work on unilateral stuff first (single leg bridge/split squat/RDL/etc) and then progress back to your regular squats and deads. One side lifts will help you work on strengthening core muscles to avoid rotation during movements and keeping the spine neutral.
Quote (JewMaster @ May 20 2019 06:08pm)

Chiros manipulate the spine which is fine and all but for the majority of cases has no long term results. There's a reason why if you're talking to someone who goes to the chiro that they'll say stuff like "Oh I've been going to my chiro for years"

If you don't fix the musculature surrounding the spine which acts on the spine by pulling and contracting, you're not going to be able to keep it in the place you want so it'll just go back to where it was before the manipulation.
May 22 2019 09:36am
Quote (Braxton11 @ May 21 2019 03:44pm)
Having good deadlifts doesn't correlate to strong stabilizers of core musculature. Work on transverse abdominis strengthening primarily and then also quadratus lumborum. Probably easier to google things for that but I can give you some if you'd like.

In terms of progressing, you usually want to work on extension movements to start and work on strengthening TA and QL, then progress into heavier extension movements, then slowly start to incorporate flexion movements into your program.

Work on unilateral stuff first (single leg bridge/split squat/RDL/etc) and then progress back to your regular squats and deads. One side lifts will help you work on strengthening core muscles to avoid rotation during movements and keeping the spine neutral.

Chiros manipulate the spine which is fine and all but for the majority of cases has no long term results. There's a reason why if you're talking to someone who goes to the chiro that they'll say stuff like "Oh I've been going to my chiro for years"

If you don't fix the musculature surrounding the spine which acts on the spine by pulling and contracting, you're not going to be able to keep it in the place you want so it'll just go back to where it was before the manipulation.

well said

http://www.ahs.uwaterloo.ca/~mcgill/fitnessleadersguide.pdf

This is an article my doctor told me to check out. It has a couple TA QL exercises in it, and ur suggestions are right in line with the conclusions of the study.
Pretty reassuring that your suggesting similar solutions.

Will definitely google and youtube some more TA QL exercises
il throw them into my workout this evening

ty

This post was edited by LAP4JSP on May 22 2019 09:38am
Gold: 220.74
May 22 2019 02:40pm
Quote (LAP4JSP @ May 22 2019 10:36am)
well said

This is an article my doctor told me to check out. It has a couple TA QL exercises in it, and ur suggestions are right in line with the conclusions of the study.

ty

just get an mri...why guess if its been an ongoing issue. It will tell you if your issue is structural or muscular. Before my back surgery I did the run around of epidural shots, physical therapy, chiropractor, xrays, taking time off of physical stuff...none of it did jack shit only to see in the MRI that I had a disk that was blow up causing all of my issues.
Surgery and 1 month later I was playing basketball and lifting like normal. The $600 for an MRI was pennies compared to all of the hoops the doctors made me jump through just to figure out what was wrong.
Gold: 32,090.31
May 24 2019 04:03pm
Quote (LAP4JSP @ May 22 2019 11:36am)
well said

ty

Glad all of my money and time spent on grad school has been working haha
Quote (bensfriend2 @ May 22 2019 04:40pm)
just get an mri...why guess if its been an ongoing issue. It will tell you if your issue is structural or muscular. Before my back surgery I did the run around of epidural shots, physical therapy, chiropractor, xrays, taking time off of physical stuff...none of it did jack shit only to see in the MRI that I had a disk that was blow up causing all of my issues.
Surgery and 1 month later I was playing basketball and lifting like normal. The $600 for an MRI was pennies compared to all of the hoops the doctors made me jump through just to figure out what was wrong.

Yeah... it’s a lot more complex than that. Unfortunately there are a lot of shit pt’s/chiros/etc out there. Just because one or a few didn’t work doesn’t mean that it’s not the best option.

I don’t know your particular case and what you mean by a disk that was blown up but a lot of spinal surgeries usually lead to more problems down the road.

Also the whole point of PT is that it’s the conservative treatment and can fix most problems. There’s no need to have surgery that has lasting effects if you can fix the problem conservatively. Besides, when you have surgery you usually have to go to PT for a bit anyways to rehab.

There have also been studies that have shown that just because the mri says you have an abnormality, doesn’t mean it actually affects you. Most people if getting an mri will have degenerative changes in their spine.
May 24 2019 09:00pm
Quote (bensfriend2 @ May 22 2019 03:40pm)

I live in Canada so an MRI is free. The problem is, doctors dont like referring everyone for an MRI because the system would go broke if they did.
So you really need to be in pain before they give you one, or have signs of a severe injury like pain radiating into the leg. + slipped disks are rare at my age + there isnt a great chance an MRI is helpful for me since i dont have obvious slipped disk symptoms

So i understand why my Doc recommended exercises instead of booking an MRI
I feel like consistency with my stretching and exercises can fix it.
If im still hurting in two months i can genuinely saying ive tried everything and have a decent reason to demand an MRI.

I golfed 18 holes today, in pain for half of it but made i it through, so there is progress i think
Gold: 9,060.00
Jul 19 2019 10:27pm
Ice bath, stretch/mobility work, yoga, time away from gym. Also tweaked my lower left QL last year deadlifting.

Go Back To Health & Fitness Topic List
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll