d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Just Give The Poor Homes, They Said > They Will Be Appreciative They Said
Prev12345Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 285.00
Apr 18 2019 05:17am
For the homeless you need accessible housing that runs a spectrum starting with the emergency shelter and ending with individuals working and paying rent in a nice cheap apartment. There is a few steps and it is called the housing continuum. Emergency shelter -> temp housing in a more established place with a program, semi-permanent housing, permanent housing.

Biggest barrier is affordable housing. Nobody builds cheap apartments, only knocking them down. And homeless folks aren't gentle poets. There must be structure because they can't do freedom very well.

This post was edited by Skinned on Apr 18 2019 05:18am
Retired Moderator
Gold: 35,078.94
Trader: Trusted
Apr 18 2019 02:20pm
Quote (Skinned @ Apr 18 2019 06:17am)
For the homeless you need accessible housing that runs a spectrum starting with the emergency shelter and ending with individuals working and paying rent in a nice cheap apartment. There is a few steps and it is called the housing continuum. Emergency shelter -> temp housing in a more established place with a program, semi-permanent housing, permanent housing.

Biggest barrier is affordable housing. Nobody builds cheap apartments, only knocking them down. And homeless folks aren't gentle poets. There must be structure because they can't do freedom very well.

I don’t buy this. If you want to leave cheap, go live in rural Ohio and work at the local wal-mart. Shit, that’s what my in-laws do. They work at wal-mart making minimum wage, own a house and afford it easily because you can get a 1600 sq ft home where they live for like $100,000 - $140,000 and their mortgage is $820 a month, which is less than half of 1 of their incomes at wal-mart’s $11/hour pay.

The problem is that as cities grew, they and their corresponding suburbs got more expensive. So now people want to live in suburbs of LA or NYC or DC or Miami and they struggle to understand why they can’t afford rent in Santa Monica, Brooklyn, Bethesda or Brickell, just to give examples.
Gold: 260.11
Apr 18 2019 02:44pm
Quote (AspenSniper @ Apr 18 2019 02:20pm)
I don’t buy this. If you want to leave cheap, go live in rural Ohio and work at the local wal-mart. Shit, that’s what my in-laws do. They work at wal-mart making minimum wage, own a house and afford it easily because you can get a 1600 sq ft home where they live for like $100,000 - $140,000 and their mortgage is $820 a month, which is less than half of 1 of their incomes at wal-mart’s $11/hour pay.

The problem is that as cities grew, they and their corresponding suburbs got more expensive. So now people want to live in suburbs of LA or NYC or DC or Miami and they struggle to understand why they can’t afford rent in Santa Monica, Brooklyn, Bethesda or Brickell, just to give examples.

So people living paycheck to paycheck can afford to move away from their support network then forego income while they look for a job?

Great idea in a vacuum but youre ignoring that big hurdle in the middle that the group you are criticizing usually doesn't have the cash to jump.

This post was edited by Thor123422 on Apr 18 2019 02:44pm
Apr 18 2019 02:54pm
Quote (AspenSniper @ Apr 18 2019 03:20pm)

You have the worst time seeing past your privilege lol.

You can really tell you never had to deal with this problem.
Gold: 3,100.00
Apr 18 2019 03:27pm
Quote (Skinned @ Apr 18 2019 04:54pm)

I don’t know if he even sees his privilege.

Hopefully he recognizes he’s privileged at least in comparison to the homeless families.

This post was edited by obisent on Apr 18 2019 03:56pm
Gold: 2,617.52
Apr 18 2019 04:30pm
Quote (Skinned @ Apr 18 2019 03:54pm)

Common sense isnt a privilege.
Gold: 63,142.89
Apr 18 2019 04:58pm
Quote (AspenSniper @ Apr 18 2019 04:20pm)

There are many people in this country who grew up in an inner city with a mom who was a crack-addicted prostitute and they never knew their father. For a person like this, moving to rural Ohio and holding down a minimum wage job might as well be moving to the Moon.
Apr 18 2019 06:01pm
Quote (EndlessSky @ Apr 18 2019 05:30pm)
Common sense isnt a privilege.

Not common either m8.
Gold: 246.00
Apr 19 2019 02:49pm
where i live a bunch of so called "refugees" aka economic migrants from the middle east and africa were moved into a brand new condo. it was declared condemned and needed to be torn down. it was all of 4 years old. there were bedbugs everywhere. other insects everywhere. rats ( we dont even have rats in norther canada) and there had been multiple TB outbreaks. they had holes smashed through multiple units and were stealing energy and camble/internet from eachother. there was fentanyl traces found in multiple rooms. meth found throughout the building. 3600 police calls in 2016, 9 murders over 4 years, hundreds of assaults

giving these people anything is a bad idea.
Gold: 5,169.82
Apr 19 2019 03:55pm
Quote (thesnipa @ Apr 17 2019 05:00pm)
funding doesn't result in higher grades? like how i lift weights and don't turn into Arnold overnight? or? funding of schools over decades has increased standardized testing both on the whole, and closed the gap that using only property taxes created over many other decades. bit of correlation vs causation, but pre internet less so.

also no one smart ever said give the poor anything and expect it to stay pristine. projects, homeless collectives, public housing, etc has always proven to be a failure. no one takes care of something they dont own and/or didn't build, the same can be said for any apartment complex, but they have security deposits and they charge rent so someone moves out and the repairs are pre-paid.

better projects are always fund to build models. community gardens, etc. this hasn't been done on a home scale, given building codes it likely can't be. but if people who live there were involved in building and/or had a way to gain ownership in a rent to buy program you might see a marked change in how they care for the home.

Sad that such posts go completely ignored.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev12345Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll