d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Macbook Pro Issues
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 36.00
Apr 13 2019 09:56pm
Girlfriend has a macbook pro (touchbar one)

The macbook powers up, but the screen won't display, it just stays black. So I connected it to my HDMI cable to my PC monitor and got the display working on there.

But I noticed the laptop won't connect to wifi. I tried my home wifi, and even x2 phone hotspots, still nothing.

The laptop hasn't been updated since it was purchased so I'm hoping its some kind of driver or OS issue. But since I can't connect to wifi, I'm not really sure how I would go about updating it.

What I've tried:
- hold Shift+Control+Option+Power button for 20 seconds.
- PRAM Reset (Command+Option+P+R while booting)

This caused the screen to get its display back for like 3 seconds, but it wen't black again and haven't been able to get it back. So I'm assuming theres nothing wrong with the retina display since it turned on?

Any suggestions before I take it to a shop tomorrow and empty my wallet

Edit: This only happened in the last 2 days, and shes certain there was no water damage or drop damage

This post was edited by Strickland on Apr 13 2019 09:57pm
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 10%
Apr 14 2019 11:45pm
When it boots to the black screen, try entering her password and pressing enter. Some people at Mac Runors say it sometimes works. Also, check and make sure that she didn’t turn the brightness all the way down. Doing so on a Mac makes the screen completely black.
Apr 15 2019 02:05am
Search Louis Rossman on YouTube. This is a fairly common issue and he fixes it a lot. Usually a backlight issue.

This post was edited by zell1luk on Apr 15 2019 02:05am
Gold: 3,351.37
Apr 15 2019 10:10am
Quote (zell1luk @ Apr 15 2019 01:05am)
Search Louis Rossman on YouTube. This is a fairly common issue and he fixes it a lot. Usually a backlight issue.

Should be able to take a flashlight to it at a 45 degree angle to rule it out.
Gold: 36.00
Apr 16 2019 06:54pm
Haven't had time to take it to the shop yet

But I managed to solve the wifi issue and update it to the latest OS. That has caused it to no longer display on HDMI, keyboard doesn't light up anymore besides the capslock button.

The touch pad has a click tho (meaning its powered on). I spam pressed the power button out of frustration and the hdmi display took me to a password reset screen. I finished that but still nothing, it just keeps going back to the password reset (when i constantly press the power button..)

I'm stumped.

I watched a Louis video and it seems to be water damage around the CPU area causing it to not power the rest. I held a flashlight to the screen, still pitch black (off)

This post was edited by Strickland on Apr 16 2019 06:55pm
Apr 17 2019 07:34am
Quote (Strickland @ Apr 16 2019 06:54pm)
Haven't had time to take it to the shop yet

But I managed to solve the wifi issue and update it to the latest OS. That has caused it to no longer display on HDMI, keyboard doesn't light up anymore besides the capslock button.

The touch pad has a click tho (meaning its powered on). I spam pressed the power button out of frustration and the hdmi display took me to a password reset screen. I finished that but still nothing, it just keeps going back to the password reset (when i constantly press the power button..)

I'm stumped.

I watched a Louis video and it seems to be water damage around the CPU area causing it to not power the rest. I held a flashlight to the screen, still pitch black (off)

There are several different things that can cause it. I just meant that he had very detailed guides on how to fix it yourself if you don't wanna pay an arm and a leg for the idiot bar to mess with it.
Apr 17 2019 09:40am
If it is water damage then the first thing you need to do is roll up a newspaper and smack your girl. She knew it was water damage before making you go on this journey to fix it. The second thing you need to do is take it to a genius (lol) and hope she has applecare
Gold: 8,732.50
Apr 17 2019 09:56am
Quote (MizzouFTW @ 17 Apr 2019 08:40)
If it is water damage then the first thing you need to do is roll up a newspaper and smack your girl. She knew it was water damage before making you go on this journey to fix it. The second thing you need to do is take it to a genius (lol) and hope she has applecare

their water indicator is extremely sensitive, it'll turn red just from moisture in the room. It's so that the reps at apple genius bar can easily say that it's water dmg! sry plz pay 2k without having to actually find the problem.
Apr 17 2019 10:42am
Quote (Secksii @ Apr 17 2019 09:56am)
their water indicator is extremely sensitive, it'll turn red just from moisture in the room. It's so that the reps at apple genius bar can easily say that it's water dmg! sry plz pay 2k without having to actually find the problem.

Why does a company make such good looking laptops but commit so much fuckery? IMO proof that there isn't a God
Apr 17 2019 11:24am
Quote (MizzouFTW @ Apr 17 2019 10:42am)
Why does a company make such good looking laptops but commit so much fuckery? IMO proof that there isn't a God

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

All they want is that.
Go Back To Computers & IT Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll