d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Diablo II > Diablo 2 Discussion > New Wr For 8-man > Speed Running
Prev134567Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 16,400.00
Apr 17 2019 02:41pm
Quote (idjsp @ Apr 17 2019 03:37pm)
You're a complete tool lol

I think he's just trolling at this point, nbd lol, I'm having a good time :)
Apr 17 2019 02:43pm
Quote (Snoke @ Apr 17 2019 04:09am)
Cool good timing but no offence if not on bnet means literally nothing to anyone here

That's why I provided our run on bnet as well (later on in the thread) to show that we have done both at almost the same speed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7H-OVUU8n0&t=1s
The one on bnet is 47s slower.
Quote (OnAir @ Apr 17 2019 09:10am)
nicely done :) haters gonna hate. clicked to a random time in the video and was greeted by fangskin https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWKCS4l_S_0&feature=youtu.be&t=6324

Lol.. yeah, that's what you call a hot TP :P
Apr 17 2019 02:53pm
Quote (thesnipa @ Apr 17 2019 09:23am)
i get what these super intelligent guys are saying. all of the emulator runs on speed runs, that btw are like 90%+ of all the records, are all fake because they aren't done on the Nintendo cartridge. good point guys! you really proved something! /s

speed runs in D2 are born from single player solo no-lag runs. 8-player runs have been logged for years on private realms, open b.net, and using extensions that tap into the tp/ip system after that got removed. hamatchi and w/e. but private servers have been used forever to avoid lag.

lots of non-runner will point out POSSIBLE, not probable, changes to any server to discount this. but if the runners have talked to the owner and he assures them it's vanilla that's all you can do. otherwise you can't speed run, because b.net in it's current state doesn't allow it. so to the people saying "not closed doesn't count" what you're really saying is "can never be broken ever again". the last point is that subsequent runs by this team or any other team will also likely take place on this server, so the times are still valid. no one made new asterisks for baseball records once weight lifting was invented, sometimes the game changes and you just roll with it.

Yeah, I don't think they've looked into speed run rules at all and are claiming it's not legit b/c in their mind (opinions) they don't see it on bnet, which I showed we have done a run on bnet that's 47secs slower. Bnet *MIGHT* have slight changes to the game, but that doesn't matter to single player speed runs, so why should it matter to the 8 man run? lol..
Gold: 102,681.26
Apr 17 2019 05:12pm
Quote (Jymnasium @ Apr 17 2019 04:53pm)
Yeah, I don't think they've looked into speed run rules at all and are claiming it's not legit b/c in their mind (opinions) they don't see it on bnet, which I showed we have done a run on bnet that's 47secs slower. Bnet *MIGHT* have slight changes to the game, but that doesn't matter to single player speed runs, so why should it matter to the 8 man run? lol..

SP runs should be compared to SP runs, bnet runs should be compared with bnet runs. In other games they are aware of differences and they make separate sections for emulator and original hardware, etc. you say bnet "might" differ, it does, that's a fact. It's also why no serious solo speedrunners do it on bnet, cause it's just way faster and easier on SP.
If the official rules are vague, that may leave you to think it doesn't matter, my point is that the whole assumption while doing speedruns is that you're running on the same conditions. This is like having an Olympics where some guy is allowed to do pole jumping on the moon vs the rest who have earth gravity.
Apr 17 2019 09:31pm
Quote (laztheripper @ Apr 17 2019 06:12pm)
SP runs should be compared to SP runs, bnet runs should be compared with bnet runs. In other games they are aware of differences and they make separate sections for emulator and original hardware, etc. you say bnet "might" differ, it does, that's a fact. It's also why no serious solo speedrunners do it on bnet, cause it's just way faster and easier on SP.
If the official rules are vague, that may leave you to think it doesn't matter, my point is that the whole assumption while doing speedruns is that you're running on the same conditions. This is like having an Olympics where some guy is allowed to do pole jumping on the moon vs the rest who have earth gravity.

Ok, I understand it "might" be slightly different (how do you know it's a fact? you haven't seen what's on the private server, which all we asked for was vanilla D2 LOD). Our private server has the same location as bnet servers, so similar if not the exact same ping, so no it's not like the moon vs the earth in gravity at all, we're only avoiding the joining games problem (which probably saves us around 2secs per game and we do about 12-15 game joins? so about 30secs) and the 10min timeout when a blizzard server randomly decides to die, which has killed our run before btw.

If you did a solo speed run on bnet it would count too, but we both agree SP is better because of 0 delay.

Doesn't change the fact that this is the fastest legit* Hell Baal kill.
*Legit meaning that it's accepted by the speed runner standards.
So because it's accepted it is the WR.
Gold: 102,681.26
Apr 17 2019 09:52pm
Quote (Jymnasium @ Apr 17 2019 11:31pm)
Ok, I understand it "might" be slightly different (how do you know it's a fact? you haven't seen what's on the private server, which all we asked for was vanilla D2 LOD). Our private server has the same location as bnet servers, so similar if not the exact same ping, so no it's not like the moon vs the earth in gravity at all, we're only avoiding the joining games problem (which probably saves us around 2secs per game and we do about 12-15 game joins? so about 30secs) and the 10min timeout when a blizzard server randomly decides to die, which has killed our run before btw.

If you did a solo speed run on bnet it would count too, but we both agree SP is better because of 0 delay.

Doesn't change the fact that this is the fastest legit* Hell Baal kill.
*Legit meaning that it's accepted by the speed runner standards.
So because it's accepted it is the WR.

They may accept it, I'm just not agreeing.
You said yourself it's pvpgn, that in itself is all I need to know in order to tell you for a fact that it differs from closed bnet. I run a pvpgn server and I told you already I have benchmarks that show stark discrepancies between closed and private realms.
No matter how much imitation is done to mirror the behavior of the official bnet servers, it's still not the same code and no coder in a million years will come up with the same code as another coder if you're talking about such a large project.
I can code a function to handle x packet in a dozen different ways, all of them will result in the appropriate answer to be sent to the client, this doesn't mean the execution will take the same time and have the same server side consequences or bugs (if any).

Again it's not an insult to your great work/efforts but it is my opinion along with probably many people that you should be doing these runs on the same platform to flatten the playing field.
Apr 17 2019 10:15pm
Quote (laztheripper @ Apr 17 2019 10:52pm)
They may accept it, I'm just not agreeing.
You said yourself it's pvpgn, that in itself is all I need to know in order to tell you for a fact that it differs from closed bnet. I run a pvpgn server and I told you already I have benchmarks that show stark discrepancies between closed and private realms.
No matter how much imitation is done to mirror the behavior of the official bnet servers, it's still not the same code and no coder in a million years will come up with the same code as another coder if you're talking about such a large project.
I can code a function to handle x packet in a dozen different ways, all of them will result in the appropriate answer to be sent to the client, this doesn't mean the execution will take the same time and have the same server side consequences or bugs (if any).

Again it's not an insult to your great work/efforts but it is my opinion along with probably many people that you should be doing these runs on the same platform to flatten the playing field.

We already have done runs on there, like i said, it's pretty much the same time, but 47 secs slower, and that in D2 speed running is basically the same because of how crazy RNG is in this game. Our fastest run on bnet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7H-OVUU8n0&t=1s
What I'm saying is that we have done this on bnet, but the problems bnet has with 10min disconnects is just not worth it because we may be doing better by 5 mins, but then get a random server crash and all of our characters are out for 10mins and ruin 2hrs of that run, so it's not worth suffering thru that to "even the playing field" which you don't know if we're helping or hurting ourselves on drops because of how random drops are in D2.

The pvpgn isn't what we're using. I was quoting the guy who hosts are servers, and he was talking about how there are 1.14 servers out there LIKE the ones on pvpgn.. lol
Quote (laztheripper @ Apr 17 2019 10:52pm)

Thanks for the recognition btw ;)

This post was edited by Jymnasium on Apr 17 2019 10:17pm
Gold: 3,621.69
Apr 17 2019 10:40pm
no matter how much you write it doesn't matter

servers were non official and hacked so doesn't count

p.s just because you have some details on some shitty no name website doesn't mean anything
Apr 17 2019 10:46pm
Quote (Reset @ Apr 17 2019 11:40pm)
no matter how much you write it doesn't matter

servers were non official and hacked so doesn't count

p.s just because you have some details on some shitty no name website doesn't mean anything

1/10 troll this was basically the first message on the thread.
Gold: 3,621.69
Apr 17 2019 10:56pm
Quote (Jymnasium @ 18 Apr 2019 17:46)
1/10 troll this was basically the first message on the thread.

and 5 pages later it's still correct
Go Back To Diablo 2 Discussion Topic List
Prev134567Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll