d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Windows Server 2012 R2
123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Senior Moderator
Gold: 18,422.00
Trader: Mediator
Apr 10 2019 08:51am
Does anyone have some experience with this server system?

I've been running into a few issues that are driving me insane and i've tried like 90 different things that could possibly be impacting it and nothing has made a difference at all.
Gold: 4,078.37
Apr 10 2019 09:20am
i used to run that os on a game server off my whats your problem ?
Gold: 0.00
Apr 10 2019 10:25am
Yeah, may want to describe the issues. Lot of experience with Windows Server OS's over the years.
Senior Moderator
Apr 10 2019 11:15am
Quote (Zesicla @ Apr 10 2019 10:20am)
i used to run that os on a game server off my whats your problem ?

Quote (Surfpunk @ Apr 10 2019 11:25am)
Yeah, may want to describe the issues. Lot of experience with Windows Server OS's over the years.

Alright so we use windows server 2012r2 for our business application, about 40 users are connected to it
recently we purchased a new server platform, it has more RAM and more processing power then the older one
in doing so we renamed the domain and moved all files that we needed to over to this new server

Everything is working pretty good on most of our computers except a select 4 computers, these 4 are 100% identical to one another and different then any of the others in the shop
Now the problem we are having is that these 4 computers when signed into the domain on their user accounts, run slow as hell, i mean literally taking 10 minutes to open up a settings menu or a folder
but if we log into the admin account on that exact same computer, no issues with speed whatsoever and runs perfectly fine

I've tried deleting the account and recreating it, as well as straight up giving it admin permissions and still no luck, and a ton of other misc things..... and i've completely ran out of idea's on what could cause this
Apr 10 2019 11:19am
Why would you rename the domain? You should have been able to do a migration via ADMT & DCPromo.

Did you delete the computer account in AD, or user accounts? And does any user account have the same issue on those systems?

Edit: Also, are you doing folder redirection for users' documents, etc?

This post was edited by Surfpunk on Apr 10 2019 11:20am
Senior Moderator
Apr 10 2019 11:26am
Quote (Surfpunk @ Apr 10 2019 12:19pm)
Why would you rename the domain? You should have been able to do a migration via ADMT & DCPromo.

Did you delete the computer account in AD, or user accounts? And does any user account have the same issue on those systems?

Edit: Also, are you doing folder redirection for users' documents, etc?

i'm glad you asked that, i have no fucking clue lol.... there should have been no reason we needed to do such a thing, but the outside tech my company brought in while i was gone for military duties said it was the only option and the managers just went with it

all computer accounts in the AD were migrated over, then i manually deleted and re-added them as i went through moving the desktops over
i can log into those user accounts into any other computer on the domain and they don't have an issue at all, it's just those specific user accounts on those specific systems
the only redirection that is happening is a host file edit to make sure all of our older hyperlinks do not get broken and still work properly
Apr 10 2019 11:37am
Quote (Udsuna @ Apr 10 2019 12:26pm)
i'm glad you asked that, i have no fucking clue lol.... there should have been no reason we needed to do such a thing, but the outside tech my company brought in while i was gone for military duties said it was the only option and the managers just went with it

all computer accounts in the AD were migrated over, then i manually deleted and re-added them as i went through moving the desktops over
i can log into those user accounts into any other computer on the domain and they don't have an issue at all, it's just those specific user accounts on those specific systems
the only redirection that is happening is a host file edit to make sure all of our older hyperlinks do not get broken and still work properly

Any GPOs being enforced? May need to force a GP Update on the workstations. Does your network policy grant users local admin rights to their computers, or is everything domain-enforced? Also, check DNS forwarders on the server, maybe make sure correct forwarders are setup there, root hints are populated, and all workstations have the server IP as the primary DNS server.
Senior Moderator
Apr 10 2019 11:42am
Quote (Surfpunk @ Apr 10 2019 12:37pm)
Any GPOs being enforced? May need to force a GP Update on the workstations. Does your network policy grant users local admin rights to their computers, or is everything domain-enforced? Also, check DNS forwarders on the server, maybe make sure correct forwarders are setup there, root hints are populated, and all workstations have the server IP as the primary DNS server.

No GPOs at all being used
tried that and nothing changed
Yes local admins get access to everything unrestricted
i have checked forwarding and no issues were found on anything
all workstations have static IPS and have full connectivity to internet/network folders

Apr 10 2019 11:52am
What domain functional level is the server running at? And what OS on these workstations?
Senior Moderator
Apr 10 2019 11:54am
Quote (Surfpunk @ Apr 10 2019 12:52pm)
What domain functional level is the server running at? And what OS on these workstations?

whatever the default is, none of that was ever changed
just standard user profiles only having the user permission

all workstations are running on windows 10 Pro
Go Back To Computers & IT Topic List
123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll