d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Books & Literature > Patrick D Smith Fans? > Author Of "a Land Remembered"
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 2.00
Apr 7 2019 08:42pm
I first read " A Land Remembered " in early high school, and loved the book.
I recently re-read it, and man it's better than I remember. A large reason is the setting - Florida - where I grew up, and lived.
Having hiked in many of the areas described in the book, it's a true testament to the Florida landscape.

I was poring over other works that Patrick Smith penned, stumbling on a book titled " allapattah " - Seen here - https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/allapattah/9139123/#isbn=1561645656
In the brief descriptions and reviews I've found, there is a significant reference to a character named "Toby Tiger" , which is strikingly similar to a character in A Land Remembered.
Is there a correlation between these two characters? I'm hoping someone out there knows.

Thanks!
Gold: 2.00
Jun 23 2019 03:50pm
Well, I know this is sort of grave digging, but I wanted to update this on the extremely small chance that:

1) Someone knows what books I'm talking about
2) That same person is on JSP and has similar questions;

The character names are similar, but they are not in the same timeline. No mention of MacIvey is made, at all.
It bothers me that the author recycled names of American Indians from one story to the next, considering the influential role they play in both stories.
All in all, Allapattah was a solid 5/10 book. The dialogue was uninspired , most of the plot felt a bit haphazard and potentially unrealistic.
It did highlight much of the systemic and individual prejudice native's were faced with, though.
Go Back To Books & Literature Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll