d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > d2jsp > Ladder Slasher > LS Character Builds > Would Anyone Mind? > Pointers / Feedback
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 366.70
Mar 26 2019 10:12pm
Hello! So my slashing begins, would anyone mind looking at my magician and telling me uf its good starter gear? Thanks in advance

/e Like I have no idea what any of the mods on items mean? Of couse the obv ones like exp.

This post was edited by transparentsin on Mar 26 2019 10:19pm
Gold: 8,666.98
Mar 27 2019 04:54am
Quote (transparentsin @ Mar 27 2019 05:12pm)
Hello! So my slashing begins, would anyone mind looking at my magician and telling me uf its good starter gear? Thanks in advance

/e Like I have no idea what any of the mods on items mean? Of couse the obv ones like exp.

I believe people in your guild would give you the best advice for now.
Gold: 55,610.43
Mar 27 2019 03:50pm
Quote (izParagonzi @ Mar 27 2019 02:54am)
I believe people in your guild would give you the best advice for now.

ask your guild leader for more advice but here is some helpful advice for now:

1. Magician and guardian in my opinion are the toughest characters to play when starting out. I recommend barbarian since most of his gear is easy to find/cheap to buy
2. If you plan on using magician: his armor and staff/dagger need INTELLIGENCE while the primary charm needs to have ENHANCED EFFECT. Obviously the more the better...but the ones with more are also more expensive. ALSO, you should get a HEALING charm for the secondary charm. the heal charm also needs enhanced effect to heal more. Unfortunately, as I'm sure by now you have learned, every attack you make costs MANA. (Unless you plan on beating things with your stick which works in the beginning but not so much later on) also if you use heal, that also costs mana.
3. Although I don't believe it is necessary to do this to get your first master quest (reach lvl 71 and do the secret door opening ceremony), if you decide to stick around and try to unlock the other characters, you will need to focus on one type of magic (fire, lightning, ice, earth) to increase your proficiency
4. buy low/sell high.....as you progress the monsters get tougher and you will need to buy better gear.

I think that's enough info for now...if you have further questions shoot me a pm or ask your leader =)
Gold: 366.70
Mar 27 2019 04:06pm
Thank you . yea magician is rough! Just the answers I was looking for
Mar 28 2019 06:34am
Quote (CARTRACK @ Mar 28 2019 10:50am)
ask your guild leader for more advice but here is some helpful advice for now:

1. Magician and guardian in my opinion are the toughest characters to play when starting out. I recommend barbarian since most of his gear is easy to find/cheap to buy
2. If you plan on using magician: his armor and staff/dagger need INTELLIGENCE while the primary charm needs to have ENHANCED EFFECT. Obviously the more the better...but the ones with more are also more expensive. ALSO, you should get a HEALING charm for the secondary charm. the heal charm also needs enhanced effect to heal more. Unfortunately, as I'm sure by now you have learned, every attack you make costs MANA. (Unless you plan on beating things with your stick which works in the beginning but not so much later on) also if you use heal, that also costs mana.
3. Although I don't believe it is necessary to do this to get your first master quest (reach lvl 71 and do the secret door opening ceremony), if you decide to stick around and try to unlock the other characters, you will need to focus on one type of magic (fire, lightning, ice, earth) to increase your proficiency
4. buy low/sell high.....as you progress the monsters get tougher and you will need to buy better gear.

I think that's enough info for now...if you have further questions shoot me a pm or ask your leader =)

Great advice. Still missing a shitload of information... a caster / healer magician is better suited for group climb whereas you can opt for a melee / healer magician build using EE staves / stat armor / main charm and EE heal type charm... or, put the EE heal type charm in main slot for better heal capacity over Stat main charm... the combinations are easy to come across.

Personally a Barbarian is the worst starting build for solo unless you have gear... a guardian has the BEST survival stats that compensate for damage output and healing capacity... but, this is a difference of opinion... the one thing that is certain about comparison... Club = cheapest ee weapon to buy and used by both Barb / Guardian.
Gold: 248,047.40
Mar 28 2019 10:14am
Quote (izParagonzi @ 28 Mar 2019 06:34)
Great advice. Still missing a shitload of information... a caster / healer magician is better suited for group climb whereas you can opt for a melee / healer magician build using EE staves / stat armor / main charm and EE heal type charm... or, put the EE heal type charm in main slot for better heal capacity over Stat main charm... the combinations are easy to come across.

Personally a Barbarian is the worst starting build for solo unless you have gear... a guardian has the BEST survival stats that compensate for damage output and healing capacity... but, this is a difference of opinion... the one thing that is certain about comparison... Club = cheapest ee weapon to buy and used by both Barb / Guardian.

Cmon rex... yeah he was missing advice but it held exponentially more advice than just telling him to ask partyplanner for help. Besides there is far too much information to just blindly throw advice at him. Its much easier if he asks specific questions otherwise it could lead to information overload.

Back on topic though, most people would disagree... Guardian is definitely NOT the easiest to start off with. Personally Id go fighter, barb, or rogue for your first ever attempt. Barb/fighter are provided with decent skills for melee (especially powerstrike for fighers if easymode is on) while retaining the ability to wear heavy armors which are cheaper for beginners. Rogue has the benefit in that they are able to use all the regular weapons so building a basic set to get going will be easier.

Either way you go as melee you will want to get as much ee on your weapons as possible. You will want to buy armors with EE on them but should try to stay away from robes as much as possible. Dex charm for daggers/staves/axes and Str charm for clubs/swords/axes.
Gold: 55,610.43
Mar 28 2019 10:55am
Quote (izParagonzi @ Mar 28 2019 04:34am)

I disagree. I started with barbarian. Put most stats in strength and a few in vitality (1-5 points) and he will be able to mq easily with average/below average gear.

Yes magician is wonderful IF he can find a group to do a run with and has a decent heal. (If your lucky enough to do a run with party planner he can take you to mq with almost any character regardless of your gear as long as you remain active in the party and show effort). However, solo as a magician with beginner gear is not recommended. Also, as a magician, you would need to buy healing charm as well as damaging charm so there are extra expenses for that.

Personally, I never played guardian so can’t say much other than what I have heard about this character. Also, he needs a heal charm as well as weapon which again is an added expense.

I also never played rogue but I hear this is a great starting character as well since staffs are cheap!

So based on my personal experience, as a first character, I would still go with a barbarian.
Gold: 19,021.03
Mar 28 2019 11:20am
Here's some info i posted to someone else, a lot of it should be relevant for you:

The basic is to start with a fighter.
First 10 points throw into strength.
Purchase a tier III weapon with 30+ enhanced effect (ee for short)
Purchase a scale/leather/chain/plate (plate/chain is better) with 10+ strength.
purchase a charm with 10+ strength.

This is your level 0 equipment and will easily take you to level 10.
Repeat process
Purchase a level 10 (tier V) weapon with 30+ enhanced effect (ee for short)
Purchase a level 10 (tier V)scale/leather/chain/plate (plate/chain is better) with 30+ee
can look again for strength charms, if there's something with a good 5 strength higher for 1 fg, it's probably worth picking up.

This can take you to level 20, you may also want to buy a new weapon at level 15.
Also, make a second character and any item you purchased and replaced (like the first 3 items) put on the mule. When you hit level 71, you will be sent back to level 1, this is the entire mechanic of the game. If you've kept your equipment then you dont need to rebuy everything.

In terms of abilities, Get power strike till it reaches "77", you literally do not need any other ability other than power strike until level 30. this is because only 2 mobs spawn on your first climb, so getting anything which hits rows/columns is generally weak. After that, i'd suggest retribution or knockdown or bottoms up. all have their good and bad points.
For stats, as i said, first 10 into strength simply because the first 10 levels should be a walkover if you've followed my advice on items to buy. After this, put all points into vitality until you hit 75. Then after that points back into strength. at level 55+ you can make a decision whether you want more vita or more strength. I personally use 80, although i know a few people like to have 90-95 on new characters.

Ideally focus on swords/clubs as they both benefit from strength more than axes.

That pretty much covers what items to buy to have a reasonably fast killing speed and survival rate.

Next thing is possibly even items to look out for,
here's a rough price breakdown of items with NO STATS (see the two examples below):
vl 20 1 fg
lvl 25 ~1-2 fg
lvl 30 3-5 fg
lvl 35 ~5-8 fg
lvl 40 ~10-15 fg
lvl 45 ~ 19 fg
lvl 50 ~ 30 fg
lvl 55 ~ 65 fg

https://ladderslasher.d2jsp.org/itemHistory.php?i=1220814823&c=0 (no stats lvl 50 for 39 fg)
https://ladderslasher.d2jsp.org/itemHistory.php?i=1220814682&c=0 (no stats lvl 55 for 60 fg)

Items at level 30-40 will sell for proficiency purposes.
here's a few examples:
https://ladderslasher.d2jsp.org/itemHistory.php?i=1220956647&c=0
https://ladderslasher.d2jsp.org/itemHistory.php?i=1220956614&c=0
https://ladderslasher.d2jsp.org/itemHistory.php?i=1221129879&c=0

Feel free to PM me about anything.
Currently you're using self found gear, which can get you to level 15 reasonably easily, after that though things get really slow unless you start buying a few things.
https://ladderslasher.d2jsp.org/itemHistory.php?i=1220953453&c=0

they will not pay any more than 1 fg, even if they have 6 stats or more.

That's currently it in terms of "non useful" items you will find.

In terms of items people use there's the following stats:
Enhanced effect (ee)
Strength (str)
Dexterity (dex)
Magic Luck (ML)
Intelligence (Int)
Heal Mastery (HM) needs to be 40% or higher
Extra Equipment Slots (EES) needs to be 3 or higher, although 2 slots will sometimes sell for 1 fg.

Keep any maps which have a high number of anything, or have 6+ stats, i can double check the price on them. although it's unlikely you will complete a map at lvl 30 or higher (when you explore the entire area, a map will drop), the area to explore gets larger as you level, so the chances of finishing a map decreases drastically at lvl 30 onwards.
here's an evil presence map, this is the most likely type you'll find which is worth anything: https://ladderslasher.d2jsp.org/itemHistory.php?i=1220910634&c=0

you're unlikely to come across too many rods, the ones with no stats are worthless. they usually need +20 durability to have any value
There's about a 0.0001% chance to come across a totem, if you find one, pick it up :P
there's a 0.001% chance of finding a potion, again pick it up ^^

I personally recommend fighter over barb due to powerstrike skilling up faster which is the best ability for a new player to be using.

edit:
The only stats you should be interested in:
Enhanced effect, on weapons it increases damage = good, on armor, it increases defense = good. on charms it increases the charms damage/healing = not useful to you.
Strength: Heavily increases the damage of swords/clubs. Axes are less useful for climbing with due to not receiving as much damage from strength.

That is literally it.
Hence why you saw my recommendation for weapon/armor = ee, and strength charms.
here's my barb: https://forums.d2jsp.org/user.php?c=3&i=193561&p=516910

As you can see, not a lot other than EE/Strength being used.

I'm using a barb over a fighter as i'm fighting 1-3 mobs at a time so am making use of knockdown which I prefer to powerstrike for general use. This also means retribution also can be used more frequently at the expensive of power strike being less used.

This post was edited by mclarke on Mar 28 2019 11:26am
Gold: 5.97
Mar 28 2019 03:50pm
Listen to anyone but izparagon and you'll do alright
Mar 28 2019 05:15pm
That is more like it, finally, all it took was a post from me for everyone to jump in to give advice (other than Cartrack).

As my post indicated, it was referring to Magician build only, others have chosen to go with simple Barbarian and Fighter for starting out (or Rogue), so, my advice still stands if wanting to go with a Magician... you are better off going Melee / Heal build over Cast / Heal build... the EE Staves are cheap, but, there is a downside once you unlock Samurai.

Even with a melee / heal magician, you can still opt to increase intelligence and just use your base dex/str stats using EE staves, thus, if you get into a group at higher levels, you can still opt for casting (using white charms if no cheap ee ones) and healing. Only abilities change the dynamics here, personally (my own opinion), you don't really need any abilities when solo'ing, but, Salvation is the one I like the most.
Go Back To LS Character Builds Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll