d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > The Mueller Report
Prev196979899100173Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 28,296.69
Apr 20 2019 06:20pm
Quote (Ghot @ Apr 20 2019 05:15pm)
Sorry, I meant the Mueller pic.

In my opinion he looks like bobby deniro but according to google he looks like a "scary clown under the bed"

here you go https://i.imgur.com/Ed7TECI.jpg
Gold: 22,189.49
Apr 20 2019 06:22pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Apr 20 2019 05:06pm)
Trump reportedly was close to firing Mueller, either directly or indirectly via Sessions etc., on multiple occasions, out of the corrupt intent of ending an investigation into his own (potential) wrongdoings. Would it have been possible to use conflict of interest or something similar as a excuse to fire Mueller and get away with it; without leaving enough evidence for corrupt intent? Yes. Would Trump have been able to walk this fine line? Hell no. For someone as undisciplined as him, firing Mueller would have meant self-destruction.

Would he?
This is a hypothetical. If Trump fired Mueller very early into the investigation it would have been a constitutional crisis for sure, but not one with a clear end. Lets say Trump orders Mueller and his team fired on the basis of conflicts of interest, but then immediately urges congress to appoint another, non-"conflicted" special counsel? There's a myriad ways this could fork off into the unknown.
but anyway, its all an aside, because the facts are, Trump consciously chose not to exercise his presidential authorities and instead defer to the special counsel, a decision no doubt hinged upon the fact he knew he was innocent of the underlying charges. The inordinate focus on process crimes and Trump's non-stop pushback against overreach made us ride dangerously close to that line, but not over it.

Gold: 4,400.67
Apr 20 2019 06:29pm
Quote (Goomshill @ 21 Apr 2019 02:22)
but anyway, its all an aside, because the facts are, Trump consciously chose not to exercise his presidential authorities and instead defer to the special counsel

I think you really undersell the fact that Trump would have fired Mueller if he had gotten his way, not on the basis of conflicts of interest or prosecutorial overreach, but on the basis of "I want this rigged witch hunt to end right now". It was only the presence of mind, or the integrity, of his staff and cabinet that prevented him from getting into (boiling) hot water.

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Apr 20 2019 06:29pm
Gold: 10,655.00
Apr 20 2019 06:30pm
Quote (Beowulf @ Apr 20 2019 08:20pm)
In my opinion he looks like bobby deniro but according to google he looks like a "scary clown under the bed"

here you go https://i.imgur.com/Ed7TECI.jpg

Thx. :)
Gold: 22,189.49
Apr 20 2019 07:49pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Apr 20 2019 06:29pm)
I think you really undersell the fact that Trump would have fired Mueller if he had gotten his way, not on the basis of conflicts of interest or prosecutorial overreach, but on the basis of "I want this rigged witch hunt to end right now". It was only the presence of mind, or the integrity, of his staff and cabinet that prevented him from getting into (boiling) hot water.

According to Don McGahn's testimony to Mueller. But Trump's powers don't begin and end with an order to McGahn. If firing Mueller was what he wanted, he could have done it any day by anyone. He could have fired someone who refused to carry out an order like its the sunday night massacre. Instead we have an account according to a guy who wanted to insulate himself against process crimes by giving the fullest appearance to Mueller of cooperation / flipping, possibly unsure of the weight of the Mueller team's ideological bias or whether they'd ever find any 'there' there. A statement that makes McGahn out to be the sole voice of reason that stood against the storm and held off any wrongdoing singlehandedly.
It should be taken with a grain of salt. Its not to say outright confabulations or lies, but to say Trump and his officials are guilty of exaggeration and self-serving spin and framing is itself an understatement of their overstatement.

The fact still stands that the power resided with the president, and he didn't exercise it. And the media and officials and apparently Mueller all freaked out over the hypotheticals and did the whole song and dance routine about whether Trump was going to fire Mueller or whether he wanted to fire Mueller or whether he ordered to fire Mueller- but it never happened. And in the absence of that action, the constitutional questions it posed are moot, and we're taken from deliberating obstruction charges of 'cover-up of a non-crime' to deliberating obstruction charges of 'non-cover-up of a non-crime'

To me, a better question is whether a truly unbiased special counsel would bother examining such a thread in the first place.

This post was edited by Goomshill on Apr 20 2019 07:50pm
Gold: 10,655.00
Apr 20 2019 11:16pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Apr 20 2019 08:29pm)

I think Trump reacted like any business man would. If the higher ups in the company are literally out to get you... you get new higher ups.
In this instance Trump WAS like a fish out of water. He'd never been up against a couple hundred career politicians before...who WERE running a "with hunt".

Looked at this way, I think he did pretty good.
Gold: 79,366.46
Apr 20 2019 11:36pm
My friend AnimeA asked that I post this here

Quote (AmineA @ Apr 21 2019 01:16am)
Someone post this link-text (below) in the Mueller Report PaRD thread for me:

https://mobile.twitter.com/SethAbramson/status/1119646306400600066

Thanks
Gold: 2,617.52
Apr 21 2019 04:53am
Quote (Terps @ Apr 21 2019 12:36am)
My friend AnimeA asked that I post this here

Why would this be relevant?...
Gold: 5,016.77
Apr 21 2019 08:50am
Quote (Plaguefear @ Apr 20 2019 05:26pm)
The report is pretty clear that they found evidence of collusion but not enough to prosecute.
It is also clear that trump repeatedly tried to obstruct and block the investigation.
Honestly it was never going to show trump colluded unless they flipped Kushner.

There's literally nothing in the report that someone can point to as evidence of conspiracy. If Mueller had evidence of it, he would've included it in the report. People need to accept that.... the idea that the Trump team managed to keep hidden some conspiracy from 2.5 years of FBI scrutiny is laughable.
Gold: 285.00
Apr 21 2019 09:00am
Quote (IceMage @ Apr 21 2019 09:50am)
There's literally nothing in the report that someone can point to as evidence of conspiracy. If Mueller had evidence of it, he would've included it in the report. People need to accept that.... the idea that the Trump team managed to keep hidden some conspiracy from 2.5 years of FBI scrutiny is laughable.

One of my coworkers was bitching about it and was mad that I said it was over. But it is lol. Unmitigated victory. Trump is better off now that the FBI took their time and the report was released.

This post was edited by Skinned on Apr 21 2019 09:00am
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev196979899100173Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll