d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Other Games > RuneScape > I'm Learning To Pvp > I Could Use Some Tips/advice
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 97.00
Mar 20 2019 01:05pm
(Max combat main)

Hey all.

Was bored last night and wanted to try something new so I took a trip to castle wars with tri-brid gear to I could see if I was able to keep up with other people in terms of clicks/switches. It was much more fun than I expected and I feel like I did very well for my first time pk'ing in about 6 years lol.

Anyway, I'm excited to play more Cwars but I was curious about how I can get involved in PvP without having to risk much. I'm not skilled at all but I can at least do some switches and keep up with the pace of a normal 1v1 as long as the other guy is below average pker :)

I know there are a lot of PvM'ers here but I'm wondering what you guys think is the best way to slide into PvP. Should I just grab absolute shit gear and run into the wild? Do I start with duo mage&range ? or do I just go full tri-brid right off the rip.

I'm not interested in Edge PK right now. It's a bit boring and too slow. But if you guys think it would help me, I'd like to hear.

Anyone else find themselves in a similar situation in the past? How did you progress?
Senior Moderator
Gold: 18,422.69
Trader: Mediator
Mar 20 2019 01:22pm
best advice i could give

don't die :p

i'm not a pvper at all, so props to you for trying to learn, i know i won't lol
Mar 20 2019 01:31pm
Quote (Udsuna @ Mar 20 2019 03:22pm)
don't die :p

:thumbsup:
Gold: 0.00
Mar 21 2019 12:42am
Quote (Braki @ Mar 20 2019 02:05pm)
(Max combat main)

Hey all.

Was bored last night and wanted to try something new so I took a trip to castle wars with tri-brid gear to I could see if I was able to keep up with other people in terms of clicks/switches. It was much more fun than I expected and I feel like I did very well for my first time pk'ing in about 6 years lol.

Anyway, I'm excited to play more Cwars but I was curious about how I can get involved in PvP without having to risk much. I'm not skilled at all but I can at least do some switches and keep up with the pace of a normal 1v1 as long as the other guy is below average pker :)

I know there are a lot of PvM'ers here but I'm wondering what you guys think is the best way to slide into PvP. Should I just grab absolute shit gear and run into the wild? Do I start with duo mage&range ? or do I just go full tri-brid right off the rip.

I'm not interested in Edge PK right now. It's a bit boring and too slow. But if you guys think it would help me, I'd like to hear.

Anyone else find themselves in a similar situation in the past? How did you progress?

Mage/range with a spec weapon. Ags/gmaul combo or something like that. Can literally use xer robes and a water bstaff and risk barely anything lol. Hides and a cbow etc.
Mar 21 2019 10:19am
Went back to cwars again. Last night. Still super fun but I started to realize how important it is to have a few geared people carrying flag. Some 126's with ancestral/kodai/ely with some range tank switches were carrying games HARD. I get the idea of barricades and tunnels now :) But I have more fun brawling in the middle, win or lose.

Quote (Og69KYJelly @ Mar 21 2019 02:42am)
Mage/range with a spec weapon. Ags/gmaul combo or something like that. Can literally use xer robes and a water bstaff and risk barely anything lol. Hides and a cbow etc.

good suggestion, thanks

I think I'll gear up with low risk and check out KBD / Lava Drags.

Inb4 I get my ags smited/ancient maced on first trip :bonk:

Gold: 0.00
Trader: Trusted
Mar 21 2019 11:48am
if your completly new then i would actually suggest you try f2p worlds and learn to switch proberly etc with very low risk gear.
then when you get decent you can go p2p and upgrade to like granite maul and learn how to KO etc. however it's alot of learning and you will get smacked alot if you don't know what you are doing.
Mar 21 2019 01:04pm
Quote (staking @ Mar 21 2019 01:48pm)
if your completly new then i would actually suggest you try f2p worlds and learn to switch proberly etc with very low risk gear.
then when you get decent you can go p2p and upgrade to like granite maul and learn how to KO etc. however it's alot of learning and you will get smacked alot if you don't know what you are doing.

I actually did this as my first step into pk a few months ago
Made a f2p account in 1 day 40atk/40str/1def /40 range
Was pretty fun but I'm not a huge fan of edge pk, especially on f2p.
I ended up getting worked pretty hard, honestly. But it's ok because I'm the kinda guy who can learn quickly from mistakes.

Took Jelly's advice from earlier and geared up in cheap mystics/ hides. Ran around KBD / Lava drags for a while and did ok I think.
First fight was me vs 2 pures lvl ~95 at lava drags. Was in multi combat so I was getting worked a bit but I ended up getting 1 of them to ~30 hp and my AGS hit 15 on his robes and no pray. They ended up both running while I was frozen so I couldn't chase.

Second fight was another 1v2 at KBB lair. Me VS a TB'er and 119 on ancients with AGS. I realized on this fight that I'm not good at eating and changing pray at the same time. Maybe I have an issue with focusing on my targ and pray book at the same time. (I don't have muscle memory for pray yet?)
So I was dropping decent barrages / dbolts but there isn't much I can do against 2 people honestly. So I just tanked 2.5min of TB and ended up in the KBD lair for spiders to agro and then I could tp out. I don't think I even got to use AGS here. If I did it probably hit 0 lol.

Third and last fight of the day was a proper 1v1 at KBD lair. Dude was in similar gear but he had claws instead of AGS. He was noticeably better than me in the way he could combo me when I was on wrong pray. I still got some freezes and bolts in but he probably ended the fight with twice the food I had left. Ended up doing something pretty dumb in the fight. Dude was going in for claws and I was in robes and off pray but I pulled out AGS and went for it anyway. We both hit shit and laughed. Then I took off into KBD for teleport out.

Anyway, I think I'm probably just a little bit past the beginner phase. When my heart isn't beating fast because of nerves that is :)
I think I will need to prioritize my learning and practice staying calm as well as working on accurately putting up overheads in an effort to maintain momentum.
Gold: 4,500.00
Mar 21 2019 04:00pm
Entirely too lazy to read all this but best suggestion is stick with cws until your comfortable enough to risk then use cheap gear. Examples: rune legs, mystic, bla bla. Could also brid as a pure. Minimal risk
Mar 21 2019 04:03pm
Quote (Dmhc @ Mar 21 2019 06:00pm)
Entirely too lazy to read all this

TLDR:
Quote (Braki @ Mar 21 2019 03:04pm)
Took Jelly's advice from earlier and geared up in cheap mystics/ hides. Ran around KBD / Lava drags for a while and did ok I think.

The wall of text is me describing the 3 fights I had while roaming wildy today.

Gold: 2.95
Mar 21 2019 04:08pm
Youtube is your friend btw, watch and learn which combos to watch out for, how to predict peoples movements and switches, how to tell if someone is eating or drinking a pot, etc. Do that shit before you lose any cash in wildy.
Go Back To RuneScape Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll