d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > d2jsp > Ladder Slasher > LS Character Builds > A Little Guide To Fishing And Rods > How Do They Work Exactly
Prev123
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 1,929.00
Mar 18 2019 01:56am
Quote (Cheeya @ 17 Mar 2019 22:49)
Every 15lvls in a well you drop a tier

Cheeya is right of course. One day, quite long ago, I was talking in game with Stylers or Bogdan - not sure which one it was at this point, but obviously I must have missunderstood what they had in mind. Thus you made me said, sir. I was hoping to drop them herrings forever in a not too distant future :wallbash:
Mar 19 2019 05:11am
1. New rumors about fishing in wells.
Everybody likes rumors, right?

2. How to properly read the Fish Stacking Table

1. Ad 1.
Two days ago there was a little 'well session' going on in one of my games. Some guys were joining from time to time to drop their whites.
In the end PumkinKing stayed for quite a long time to fish side by side. I was always fishing alone prior to this event and I didn't expect anything particular to happen, but... guess what. :blink:
Whenever we were fishing together side by side, both of us had a very strong impression that we catch better fish. I have never caught mana fish 5 times in the row before.
Yet, during the session it happened to me twice! The overall yield seemed to be better too. Whenever he left for a while things were soon back to normal. :angry:

I took it for a coincidence at first and the logic says it was in fact just a coincidence, but this session was long and believe me - it repeated many times, so maybe we are onto something here.

I will definitely give it a try more often whenever I got the opportunity in the future and start recording the results.

I'd like to thank PumkinKing for a time well spent :rofl: . This time, fishing was fun and not that boring. It's a common wisdom after all, you should always go fishing accompanied by some fellows.

Ad 2.
There's the fish stacking table under Skills tab in Slasherpedia section. I always thought it was obsolete, but it's totally fine.

To read it correctly use this formula to determine 'Your Rank':

Your rank = 1 + your rank in fishing proficiency + your rank in cooking proficiency

The rest is obvious.

All the credits go to PumpkinKing who came up with the idea to add fishing and cooking skills together during our little chit-chat. Well, he was glyphing 20+ to intelligence item prior to this, so when your IQ gets boosted by 20 for 35 min you can outsmart Sherlock. Ty for this one mate! It works :thumbsup:

This post was edited by mastodont on Mar 19 2019 05:13am
Gold: 250,648.00
Mar 19 2019 11:20am
Quote (mastodont @ 18 Mar 2019 01:56)
Cheeya is right of course. One day, quite long ago, I was talking in game with Stylers or Bogdan - not sure which one it was at this point, but obviously I must have missunderstood what they had in mind. Thus you made me said, sir. I was hoping to drop them herrings forever in a not too distant future :wallbash:

You and every other fisher struggling to manage all the tiers you receive higher up... I could see at 15 it started dropping a tier every 5 lvls being balanced but by level 30 you are getting 9x tiers so removing 2 tiers isnt nearly as usefull as if you removed t1-4 at lvl 30... Oh well Paul was never for helping the common players
Mar 19 2019 11:23am
Quote (Cheeya @ 19 Mar 2019 19:20)
You and every other fisher struggling to manage all the tiers you receive higher up... I could see at 15 it started dropping a tier every 5 lvls being balanced but by level 30 you are getting 9x tiers so removing 2 tiers isnt nearly as usefull as if you removed t1-4 at lvl 30... Oh well Paul was never for helping the common players

Indeed :fume:
I had such a beautiful dream :zzz: and you woke me up :bonk:
Gold: 13,425.19
Apr 8 2019 05:24pm
reasonably sure my level 5 rod is working out much better than my splintered.

Cheers for the guide, very informative for us fishing noobs :D

out of curiousity which rod would you think is best out of the following, would rather catch quickly rather than for exp given a fishing rank of 3:

Magical splintered fishing rod (i'm guessing you dont recommend this one :P )
+24 Durability

Magical pine fishing rod (what i think i'm supposed to be using based on your guide)
Skill Rank Req: 5

+20 Durability

Magical elm fishing rod (perhaps i should try this?)
Skill Rank Req: 10

+49 Durability
Gold: 749.93
Apr 8 2019 07:05pm
Quote (mclarke @ 8 Apr 2019 19:24)
reasonably sure my level 5 rod is working out much better than my splintered.

Cheers for the guide, very informative for us fishing noobs :D

out of curiousity which rod would you think is best out of the following, would rather catch quickly rather than for exp given a fishing rank of 3:

Magical splintered fishing rod (i'm guessing you dont recommend this one :P )
+24 Durability

Magical pine fishing rod (what i think i'm supposed to be using based on your guide)
Skill Rank Req: 5

+20 Durability

Magical elm fishing rod (perhaps i should try this?)
Skill Rank Req: 10

+49 Durability

To me, this has always been a tossup. I would use the Pine as long as you have a good catch rate with it. Give the elm a shot though. You should be able to use it no problem
Apr 9 2019 02:52am
Quote (mclarke @ 9 Apr 2019 01:24)
reasonably sure my level 5 rod is working out much better than my splintered. Cheers for the guide, very informative for us fishing noobs :D

you are welcome

Being on rank 3 there is not much philosophy behind your choice of rod honestly but since it's a guide - let's do this...

splintered vs pine vs elm
(I would recommend you tried them all - just to feel the difference for yourself, just like schmoogalaboo said - including elm).

All of them are going to work for you at this point.
Here are my predictions about your experience with each:
(you need to try it more than just one time to spot the difference; fishing is a random process to some extent after all)

splintered
In theory the fastest but the most 'unpredictable' and the least 'experience wise' rod for you. One time fish is going to be super fast (so you need to escape often), the other one you are going to be the winner in just 4-5 clicks with rather low XP on average. The over all success ratio is going to be small.
However, 70+ dura pine should be the best option if you really want more fish than expo. 24 dura is way too low to give you the satisfying success ratio.

pine
Perfect match and good control. The more dura the slower fish but more XP. Try to use even a clean or less dura rods to catch faster. The over all success ratio is going to be ok. (If you don't feel it's 'ok', then don't blame me - it's not my fault :D . That's just the way fishing is :rofl: It can't be any easier).

elm
This is what you want to use if you want herrings right now. Just fish ahead for level 5 using elm. In your particular case - this is a huge OVERKILL, imho. You just need 4k EP to get to rank 4 and fish for herrings naturally - but yes - this is what 'fishing ahead' in this guide means. It comes in handy when you are on rank 7-8, 12-13 etc...
Go Back To LS Character Builds Topic List
Prev123
Add Reply New Topic New Poll