d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Programming & Development > Recapacha's Are Lame
Prev12
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 1,065.75
Mar 15 2019 04:38pm
Quote (GoX @ 13 Mar 2019 15:43)
I really want to hear why you think WordPress is shit? I've done a lot of huge, custom, robust builds in WordPress from the ground up and it can be used for just about anything. So please, enlighten me.

There is no such thing as a "custom, robust builds in WordPress". Yeah you can do shit around because wordpress is php based but use it for business ? No.

Exemple granted :
You sell a pretty good wordpress site to your client, very cool. All features done etc.

Now the client wants a new feature, what he's gonna do ?
Will he call you and pay more ? Hell no he'll just going to add plugins, maybe deprecated and full of securities issues (in best cases...).
Now every script kiddies can use google dorks or some sophisticated tools to pwn your site (wordpress is just a joke from a security POV)

And for the record wordpress is about creating blog, if you build anything other than a blog on wordpress then you choose the wrong tools for the job.

I was just generalizing, but looking at the number of wordpress websites with security holes I am not wrong.

Quote (GoX @ 13 Mar 2019 15:43)
WordPress from the ground up and it can be used for just about anything.

Please no. Any webdev with a sane mind would not ever use wordpress, if you're building a blog then again okay (even though I wouldn't put wordpress on my servers)
But if you are creating a website even a SPA, wordpress is just the wrong way to go..

This post was edited by Faros75 on Mar 15 2019 04:42pm
Mar 15 2019 04:40pm
Quote (Faros75 @ 16 Mar 2019 00:38)
There is no such thing as a "custom, robust builds in WordPress". Yeah you can do shit around because wordpress is php based but use it for business ? No.

Exemple granted :
You sell a pretty good wordpress site to your client, very cool. All features done etc.

Now the client wants a new feature, what he's gonna do ?
Will he call you and pay more ? Hell no he'll just going to add plugins, maybe deprecated and full of securities issues (in best cases...).
Now every script kiddies can use google dorks or some sophisticated tools to pwn your site (wordpress is just a joke from a security POV)

And for the record wordpress is about creating blog, if you build anything other than a blog on wordpress then you choose the wrong tools for the job.

I was just generalizing, but looking at the number of wordpress websites with security holes I am not wrong.

Please not any webdev with a sane mind would ever use wordpress, if you're building a blog then again okay (even though I wouldn't put wordpress on my servers)
But if you are creating a website even a SPA, wordpress is just the wrong way to go..

Edit : posting this tired, but still... I would not use wordpress anywhere on my servs even with docker

Gold: 1,939.50
Mar 16 2019 01:56pm
Quote (Faros75 @ Mar 15 2019 05:38pm)
wordpress is just the wrong way to go..

What if they want to host a simple website for a small business and they want something they can take ownership of after the MVP is developed? What if they don't want the hassle of managing servers? What if they don't have an IT department to continuously upgrade and fix security defects?

WordPress and similar platforms are the correct answer for some use cases. Saying otherwise would just be irrational. If you don't listen to other people's point of view you're never going to learn anything.

Quote (Faros75 @ Mar 12 2019 08:08pm)
sorry if you are a sad wordpress "dev" :(

I don't even use WordPress so your insults about that are missing entirely. However, insulting entire groups of devs based on what tools they use probably isn't a good idea unless you want to ostracize yourself from these sub-forums. Act like an adult.

Security? I work in AppSec and trust me no platform isn't without its faults. WordPress plugins are often vulnerable. So are a large portion of the 3rd party dependencies you're going to use in your your Java, .NET, Node, whatever.
Mar 16 2019 03:34pm
Quote (waraholic @ 16 Mar 2019 21:56)
What if they want to host a simple website for a small business and they want something they can take ownership of after the MVP is developed? What if they don't want the hassle of managing servers? What if they don't have an IT department to continuously upgrade and fix security defects?

WordPress and similar platforms are the correct answer for some use cases. Saying otherwise would just be irrational. If you don't listen to other people's point of view you're never going to learn anything.

I don't even use WordPress so your insults about that are missing entirely. However, insulting entire groups of devs based on what tools they use probably isn't a good idea unless you want to ostracize yourself from these sub-forums. Act like an adult.

Security? I work in AppSec and trust me no platform isn't without its faults. WordPress plugins are often vulnerable. So are a large portion of the 3rd party dependencies you're going to use in your your Java, .NET, Node, whatever.

Wow a guy working in Sec and worshipping wordpress that's a new low...

Wordpress is the correct use case if you want to do a shitty blog filled with ads. Yea that's it

"What if they don't want the hassle of managing servers? What if they don't have an IT department to continuously upgrade and fix security defects?"

Then they shoudld not have a website ?
Oh right stupid ppl around so one reason more to not use wordpress, but you should know since you r in IT SEC no ? They'll just add plugins and guess what ? Those plugins are just shit.
Some of those plugin makes your site vulnerable to sql injection like 1=1, (just worked that out on a top 50 alexa site using wordpress...)

To run wordpress you need a php and mysql server at least but yeah good point... Even if they just throw some wordpress shit they'll still need a php and mysql servers.

"However, insulting entire groups of devs based on what tools they use probably isn't a good idea unless you want to ostracize yourself from these sub-forums. Act like an adult."

No sane web dev would tell you they are a worpdress dev,. Designer might tho but differrnt job, different tools

yeah right, and don't call someone who can use a CMS a dev.

"Security? I work in AppSec and trust me no platform isn't without its faults. WordPress plugins are often vulnerable. So are a large portion of the 3rd party dependencies you're going to use in your your Java, .NET, Node, whatever"

Yet you have 0 baics, feelinf bad for the company that is hiring you man :(
You're taliking about depencies yet saying shit, Java would use gradle, Node really? just say npm/yarn, both are used server (express) and client (angular, react...) client side....
Stopped to read here but should have stopped at wordpress dev
Gold: 280.33
Mar 16 2019 04:06pm
Quote (Faros75 @ Mar 16 2019 03:34pm)

Wordpress is the correct use case if you want to do a shitty blog filled with ads. Yea that's it

"What if they don't want the hassle of managing servers? What if they don't have an IT department to continuously upgrade and fix security defects?"

Oh right stupid ppl around so one reason more to not use wordpress, but you should know since you r in IT SEC no ? They'll just add plugins and guess what ? Those plugins are just shit.
Some of those plugin makes your site vulnerable to sql injection like 1=1, (just worked that out on a top 50 alexa site using wordpress...)

To run wordpress you need a php and mysql server at least but yeah good point... Even if they just throw some wordpress shit they'll still need a php and mysql servers.

"However, insulting entire groups of devs based on what tools they use probably isn't a good idea unless you want to ostracize yourself from these sub-forums. Act like an adult."

No sane web dev would tell you they are a worpdress dev,. Designer might tho but differrnt job, different tools

"Security? I work in AppSec and trust me no platform isn't without its faults. WordPress plugins are often vulnerable. So are a large portion of the 3rd party dependencies you're going to use in your your Java, .NET, Node, whatever"

You're taliking about depencies yet saying shit, Java would use gradle, Node really? just say npm/yarn, both are used server (express) and client (angular, react...) client side....

You've gone too far with this, sir. I was hoping to have an honest conversation with you but apparently you're not professional enough to handle this.
Gold: 1,000.00
Trader: Trusted
Mar 25 2019 07:06pm
Quote (Faros75 @ Mar 16 2019 10:34pm)

What would you use instead of wordpress?

Custom developing is very expensive, people with low website budget needs to be able to compete online as-well... Are there any good solutions for them?

33% of the internet seems to be wordpress based. Isn't it enough to just use quality plugins, no stupid tweaks and a good security plugin to run a safe site?

The discussion that this thread has grown in to is very interesting, but as it seem to be a bit sensitive... Let us use a happier tone :)

This post was edited by ium on Mar 25 2019 07:07pm
Gold: 36.00
Mar 28 2019 01:41pm
Quote (ium @ Mar 26 2019 01:06am)

Custom developing is very expensive, people with low website budget needs to be able to compete online as-well... Are there any good solutions for them?

33% of the internet seems to be wordpress based. Isn't it enough to just use quality plugins, no stupid tweaks and a good security plugin to run a safe site?

The discussion that this thread has grown in to is very interesting, but as it seem to be a bit sensitive... Let us use a happier tone :)

Wix of course :banana:

@Thread

People like to wordpress because clients can manage their own content, otherwise clients normally need to continue paying developers for adjustments or added content.

Then there's always the option for a custom made CMS to fit a clients needs, allowing them to do it themselves too. But this is a much more expensive approach, and Susan down at the local barber probably can't afford to invest in such things.

Whether people like wordpress or not, you're not developing to impress other developers, you are doing it for the client. They are your priority

This post was edited by Strickland on Mar 28 2019 01:42pm
Mar 31 2019 03:38pm
Quote (ium @ 26 Mar 2019 03:06)

Well that's obviously depending of the client budget. But let's say it is a small association I would use ghost (https://ghost.org/).

You think giving them a wordpress site is a solution ?
Maintenance can also be expensive. A company which can't afford a real website should just hire a junior dev to create a basic SPA in angular, react or vue.
The company now have identy on the web (assuming referencing was well done) and the owner who is probably not tech savy have nothing to do.

Yea and ?
To expands on Strickland's answer, Susan will be extra glad with her new website, but soon she'll install plugins and shit so you're quality plugins, no stupid tweaks and a good security plugin are now fucked up.
Do you think Susan will switch from php 5 to php 7 ? And did she thought about backup and upgrade

This post was edited by Faros75 on Mar 31 2019 03:48pm
Go Back To Programming & Development Topic List
Prev12
Add Reply New Topic New Poll