d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Programming & Development > Recapacha's Are Lame
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 1,000.00
Trader: Trusted
Mar 11 2019 07:12am
Hey guys, I think that recapachas are super super lame to use, and a lot of older people online probably doesn't even understand how they work (or am I wrong?)...

I am looking into solutions to protect websites from spambots without recapachas. I've looked into the honeypot project, seems like a very good First defense. But are there anything else that could be helpful against those damned spambots?

Thanks for reading (and possibly responding), you guys are awesome :thumbsup:
Gold: 280.33
Mar 11 2019 09:13am
honeypot in my opinion is the shit! I think if you just do some a simple arithmetic questions beyond that, you're fine. But honeypot should really do the trick :)

Regarding the ages of people. Do you have a user base that you think is generally old? I think if your user base is a lot of 60+ people then yeah recaptcha's are probably going to be frustrating.

An naw, ur awesome! :) haha
Gold: 12,935.00
Mar 11 2019 11:13am
Honeypot fields are probably your way to go, but they need to be added thoughtfully. Stuff like lastpass or other tools that autofill a webpage if fields like "password"exists, will fill out the fields if you name them like that.
Gold: 1,000.00
Trader: Trusted
Mar 11 2019 11:45am
Quote (GoX @ Mar 11 2019 04:13pm)
honeypot in my opinion is the shit! I think if you just do some a simple arithmetic questions beyond that, you're fine. But honeypot should really do the trick :)

Regarding the ages of people. Do you have a user base that you think is generally old? I think if your user base is a lot of 60+ people then yeah recaptcha's are probably going to be frustrating.

An naw, ur awesome! :) haha

Well, yeah, I was thinking about targeting some organizations with older ppl (such as local culture-whatever organizations etc etc), bring them online OR give them a more honest price-tag on their projects instead of "taking advantage" of them as the larger web-firms do. I have seen some simple websites with crazy subscription costs, if I could be an alternative to that I think that it could generate me quite a good and serious customer-base.

Quote (Klexmoo @ Mar 11 2019 06:13pm)
Honeypot fields are probably your way to go, but they need to be added thoughtfully. Stuff like lastpass or other tools that autofill a webpage if fields like "password"exists, will fill out the fields if you name them like that.

Honeypot fields, that is the magic key-word! Really Freaking Awesome! :thumbsup:
Gold: 1,065.75
Mar 11 2019 01:43pm
I don't see how google's recaptcha are lame, most of the time you don't even see them
And clicking on some images isn't really bad user experience even for old ppl
Gold: 1,939.50
Mar 11 2019 04:32pm
Quote (Faros75 @ Mar 11 2019 02:43pm)
I don't see how google's recaptcha are lame, most of the time you don't even see them
And clicking on some images isn't really bad user experience even for old ppl

I think you're in the minority here. There was a discussion at work among the UX folks and almost every one of them hated them with a passion.

Edit: I hate them too!

This post was edited by waraholic on Mar 11 2019 04:32pm
Mar 11 2019 05:49pm
Quote (waraholic @ 12 Mar 2019 00:32)
I think you're in the minority here. There was a discussion at work among the UX folks and almost every one of them hated them with a passion.

Edit: I hate them too!

=
I agree, everyone hates captcha. Period.

So do I. but that was not my point.

You'll almost never have to valid a captcha with google recaptcha, so that's not bad. And even if you had to validate to, well you just click some pîctures

That's why I brought it up. Yeah honeypot fields are cool however they are are less resistant, now you have to explain your team why you use some random fields in order to filter some shit. And the team should remember why and how these field are usefull...
This is not good design,I won't even talk about defensive programming but this kind of design makes me sick, once you adopt it, it's here and it's horrble.

Yes google recaptcha might have some flaws however it is widely used, major frameworks use it and if you have to create your own captcha stuff you are just doing it wrong

E: Woow glad i'am in the minority you know... You could be a fan of wordpress that would put you in the majority however wordpress was/is/ and will be shit...

If you paid UX Expert to look at captcha maybe you're doing it wrong don't you think ?

This post was edited by Faros75 on Mar 11 2019 05:55pm
Gold: 1,939.50
Mar 12 2019 06:41pm
Quote (Faros75 @ Mar 11 2019 06:49pm)
=
E: Woow glad i'am in the minority you know... You could be a fan of wordpress that would put you in the majority however wordpress was/is/ and will be shit...

If you paid UX Expert to look at captcha maybe you're doing it wrong don't you think ?

Sorry if I hit a nerve, lmao

Mar 12 2019 07:08pm
Quote (waraholic @ 13 Mar 2019 02:41)
Sorry if I hit a nerve, lmao

What a good argument, "lmao"
sorry if you are a sad wordpress "dev" :(

This post was edited by Faros75 on Mar 12 2019 07:41pm
Gold: 280.33
Mar 13 2019 07:43am
Quote (Faros75 @ Mar 11 2019 05:49pm)
=
I agree, everyone hates captcha. Period.

So do I. but that was not my point.

You'll almost never have to valid a captcha with google recaptcha, so that's not bad. And even if you had to validate to, well you just click some pîctures

That's why I brought it up. Yeah honeypot fields are cool however they are are less resistant, now you have to explain your team why you use some random fields in order to filter some shit. And the team should remember why and how these field are usefull...
This is not good design,I won't even talk about defensive programming but this kind of design makes me sick, once you adopt it, it's here and it's horrble.

Yes google recaptcha might have some flaws however it is widely used, major frameworks use it and if you have to create your own captcha stuff you are just doing it wrong

I really want to hear why you think WordPress is shit? I've done a lot of huge, custom, robust builds in WordPress from the ground up and it can be used for just about anything. So please, enlighten me.

Go Back To Programming & Development Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll