d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Motor Sports & Cars > Manual Lathe
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 1,363.36
Mar 6 2019 04:46pm
Im the market to buy one of those but i dont really know what im looking for

I wanna make sleeve and thing like that

Anyone can point me in the right direction?

Own experience, tips etc all welcome
Gold: 3.75
Mar 6 2019 05:08pm
really depends on how big you want and your rough price range.
Gold: 1,363.36
Mar 6 2019 06:08pm
Quote (night_throne @ Mar 6 2019 07:08pm)
really depends on how big you want and your rough price range.

Price range doesnt really matter and i’m gonna do small thing related to cars truck bikes etc
Im only 30 so i want something that will last and im nowhere near my retirement lol

This post was edited by Subban on Mar 6 2019 06:08pm
Gold: 1,536.00
Apr 14 2019 03:50am
are you wanting a mill or a lathe? Or both?

My homie (who does all my custom machine work) uses one of these...

https://www.harborfreight.com/power-tools/metal-working/1-1-2-half-horsepower-heavy-duty-milling-drilling-machine-33686.html

He stepped up to that after having a small 2 in 1 lathe/mill. I forgot what brand/model it was though. It did great work, just didn't have near the capacity or versatility for milling work (or accuracy, but still did great).

One thing I know, when it comes to milling, the machine seems like a big expensive part, and it is,all at once, but all the mill head bits, and finding out how quick u can destroy a $30 bit in 2 seconds on harder metals.... That's where the money comes in.

If you are just wanting a lathe, for working on cars/trucks/bikes, I'm curious as to what you plan on turning on this lathe that would make it a worth while investment =p

edit: u wanna sleeve, like be able to sleeve cylinders etc?
I'm no expert in this field, so count anything I say as just radom advice that's prolly better than youtube, but I'm not promising much better lol...
for stuff like resleving, or just even boring over, you need a "bore machine" to do it "right" on anyhting bigger than a gocart. I wouldn't personally trust anything done in a shoddy comtraption without a lot of experience on say, a sport bike, or a race oriented quad/dirt bike.

For your basic trail bike, sure you can wing it and prolly do fine. But your basic trail bike wont need that kind of service for 30+ years of abuse and never changing the oil either.

This post was edited by Towlieee on Apr 14 2019 03:53am
Gold: 2,385.00
Apr 14 2019 08:30pm
Quote (Towlieee @ Apr 14 2019 05:50am)
are you wanting a mill or a lathe? Or both?

My homie (who does all my custom machine work) uses one of these...

https://www.harborfreight.com/power-tools/metal-working/1-1-2-half-horsepower-heavy-duty-milling-drilling-machine-33686.html

He stepped up to that after having a small 2 in 1 lathe/mill. I forgot what brand/model it was though. It did great work, just didn't have near the capacity or versatility for milling work (or accuracy, but still did great).

One thing I know, when it comes to milling, the machine seems like a big expensive part, and it is,all at once, but all the mill head bits, and finding out how quick u can destroy a $30 bit in 2 seconds on harder metals.... That's where the money comes in.

If you are just wanting a lathe, for working on cars/trucks/bikes, I'm curious as to what you plan on turning on this lathe that would make it a worth while investment =p

edit: u wanna sleeve, like be able to sleeve cylinders etc?
I'm no expert in this field, so count anything I say as just radom advice that's prolly better than youtube, but I'm not promising much better lol...
for stuff like resleving, or just even boring over, you need a "bore machine" to do it "right" on anyhting bigger than a gocart. I wouldn't personally trust anything done in a shoddy comtraption without a lot of experience on say, a sport bike, or a race oriented quad/dirt bike.

For your basic trail bike, sure you can wing it and prolly do fine. But your basic trail bike wont need that kind of service for 30+ years of abuse and never changing the oil either.

Already have a mill

I want a lathe to make metal bushing instead of using the real one when im welding control arms and stuff like that

Creating tools that dont even exist, ill find a use for it dont worry :)
Gold: 1,536.00
Apr 14 2019 08:32pm
Quote (Subban3gr0 @ Apr 14 2019 09:30pm)
Already have a mill

I want a lathe to make metal bushing instead of using the real one when im welding control arms and stuff like that

Creating tools that dont even exist, ill find a use for it dont worry :)

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I gotcha, just wanted to make sure we are on the same page haha

Sorry I don't have any better advice to give lol.. Clearly you got the basics covered =P

I def want to sometime invest in a mill and lathe myself
Gold: 2,385.00
Apr 14 2019 08:34pm
Im currently working on a dune buggy that i started from scratch
Ill post pictures soon
Go Back To Motor Sports & Cars Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll