d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Car Audio > Bought A Car And Stereo Doesnt Work Help
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Mar 1 2019 07:28pm
So I bought a car which has an Innovatek IN-837BTS installed. It doesn't have power for some reason. It's kind of an strange single din stereo where the screen flips out. I'm going to check for a blown fuse. Does anybody have experience with this odd stereo and does anybody know where I can get a replacement remote control?
Gold: 0.69
Mar 1 2019 11:46pm
It’s not the strange stereo
It’s more like who wired it in
I would pull it after you check for the fuse being bad and see how it’s wired.
Typically, if some hack job did it you’ll see a lot of electrical tape.
You’ll want to look up the schematic on your car to see if the stereo is even plugged into the right “hot”, if it was wired right it could be in fact a bad stereo.
On the off chance it is good and it’s wired poorly that could be the issue. Make sure all wiring was tucked nicely, and the harness adapter is nice and plugged in with tight butt to hurt connectors.

If it doesn’t even power on at all, it could either be loose connection/poor
Or a blown head unit.
If it’s blown you will want to take it out and look at how it was wired.
Without knowing the year make and model I can’t link the schematic
Since I don’t have the book that came the head I can’t link what wire is what on that. I can look up that type of stereo though.

You will want to cross reference the wires with the cars diagram.
Fairly simple once you know what you are looking at.

When you know what is power from the car “typically red” and it’s connexted to red you know you have power. Check the fuse on the head unit it’s self
And the fuse in the dash.
You’ll want to know why it went out. Maybe it’s pulling too much juice for that fuse, might need a new head unit.
Gold: 94,692.12
Mar 6 2019 08:51pm
Prob a bad connection into the wiring harness. Should be easy to pull out and inspect
Mar 7 2019 03:40am
The radio fuse (for the car) is fine.
There is no fuse for the head unit. The diagram shows that you can add one yourself but I live on the edge so even when I wire an amp to the battery I don't use an inline fuse.
I found out the previous installer had cut off the Pink Wire (Braking Wire) and the Orange Wire (Reverse/Back Up Wire) as flush as you can get to the wiring harness plug...
To solve this I had to cut into the wiring harness plug about 1/2 inch so I could splice the extremely short wire to a new longer wire. In fact it's not even techinally spliced, it's being held in by the pressure of the wires squeezed together. Stays on just fine though it's surprisingly sturdy. It was still attached perfectly fine when I took the head unit out after I tried to get it work properly.

The thing is you NEED the Braking Wire to be grounded in order for the unit to turn on at all. This explains why the unit had a power button red light was illuminated but pressing the power button did nothing.
So I worked my magic and rewired everything from scratch. I plug the head unit in and it turns on, awesome, I press the Open button and the screen starts to come out, but it stops. The screen is displaying
but the touch screen only works when I switch to AUX, it comes up with the option at the top of the screen to switch to RADIO and that's the only part of the touch screen that responds.
Unfortunately this is as far as I could get it... The Up button which normally tilts the screen up would not work, in fact many of the buttons would only work intermittently.
I accidentally push the Up button into the unit, flimsy pos oh well, so that's why I've taken it apart in the photo.
I'm not really sure what else to do. This is a chinese fuckered head unit... I want to use an amp at some point and it doesn't even have RCA outputs (not that matters, I can use speaker wires straight into the high level inputs but still)

If it matters at all... I spliced into the extremely short Reverse Wire but I didn't ground it or do anything with it I just put E tape on the end of it. I figured it's not really necessary to wire it to anything because it's just there to activate the back up camera (if one is installed). Maybe I'm wrong and it needs to be grounded idk. Also the photo of the wiring harness plug is old. I found my E tape and isolated all wires with tape. No wires are coming into contact with wires that shouldn't therefore causing any issues.

This post was edited by Mackenzie_1992 on Mar 7 2019 04:02am
Mar 7 2019 04:25am
I dont even know wtf lol that's some Jerry rigged fuckery
Mar 7 2019 04:52am
Quote (ZeaLORDeaL @ Mar 7 2019 03:25am)
I dont even know wtf lol that's some Jerry rigged fuckery

I know right!?

So the previous installer had two wires going to this sort of "grounding nut" on the head unit... so I figured it would be okay to ground the Braking Wire to that nut...
As it turns out that was not the right thing to do, no wires should be going to that nut at all... I instead spliced the Braking Wire into the actual ground wire and guess what. The screen comes out all the way and flips up.
The only thing is for whatever reason this model is supposed to be a touch screen. Everything works except for the touch screen. I can press anywhere and it doesnt work... I don't even think it worked before, I just thought it did but
it was probably just the AUX menu timing out and going automatically back to RADIO. So yeah... I'm going to burn a DIVX movie to at least see if it'll run movies.

Does anybody know what the hell that nut is even for? Are you supposed to run a wire from that nut and ground that wire for additional grounding or something ?
I don't get it...

This post was edited by Mackenzie_1992 on Mar 7 2019 05:13am
Mar 7 2019 05:37am

After all the jerry ridged fuckery at least I got the screen to flip up and display, considering this thing wouldn't even turn on when I first got it at least I got thus far... only Radio and AUX work though... If I try to put in a CD the little text screen says LOAD and the screen returns but as soon as the screen goes back in power to the unit gets cut off and it fails to even take the CD... no matter how much I pushed the CD in to help it, it just loses power when it should be taking the CD... god damn it wtf is with this pos Lol

I think I'll be getting a normal head unit, one with USB, Bluetooth and Sirius XM ... forget having a screen it's just a bunch of BS lol

Oh and I was able to fix the Up button with crazy glue in a matter of minutes and it works perfect now, not that it really matters cause this thing is garbage AF

Oh and another thing that I realized is this head unit is supposed to have an "Innovatek" loading screen which it doesn't... maybe it not loading the software in the first place is why it has limited functionality... I don't know how to get that loading screen to appear though hmm... I think the power gets cut off whenever it tries to load that screen which is why discs won't load I guess...

This post was edited by Mackenzie_1992 on Mar 7 2019 05:49am
Mar 7 2019 06:07am
If anybody here wants to buy this turd I'll put it on ebay lol
Mar 7 2019 09:18am
Lmao
Go Back To Car Audio Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll