d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Books & Literature > General Fiction Discussion > Adult Fiction Recommendations, Please.
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 2.00
Feb 28 2019 08:35am
TL:DR at bottom, albeit ironic to include one.

As a teen I read many books/series, mostly fiction. The last series that I officially read was some 6 years ago ; RA salvatore's Spider Queen Series.
After reading many wizard/magic sword/mythical series' in the past, I really didn't feel compelled to read any others after Salvatore's.
I also had no interest in history/nonfiction , which has changed in recent years.
And so, the past few years I've off and on read many non-fiction books, neglecting fiction altogether.
This changed in the past 2-3 weeks, when I learned that one of my favorite teen sagas was adapted to a movie.

[ Seventh Son , which I've heard the storyline of the book was largely trampled on. I plan to watch it today and be my own judge]

Well, I've begun to re-read the series, and it definitely stood the test of time for me.
However, I've realized that I will finish the series relatively fast because it's penned for a younger audience.
And because it's been quite a while since I've read fiction, I'm lost on where to go next.

TL:DR

What are some great Adult Fiction novels or series ? Any recommendations are welcome
The bullet points below are just general things about my reading preference.

End TL:DR

* Not necessarily looking for a romance or sci-fi story.
* Horror elements are a plus (witch covens, plauges, ghosts, etc. )
* Metaphysical is a plus
* Nature themes are a plus, including "lost at sea" books. ( Loved Gary Paulsen as a young reader, and "A Land Remembered" sticks out in my head as well )
* Single narrator or third person/omniscient is preferred.
* Historical/cultural themes are a plus. (i.e. "Lay That Trumpet In Our Hands" , "The Boy In The Striped Pajamas")

Thanks in advance everyone. Will track topic.
Mar 1 2019 02:44am
Update, "Seventh Son" movie is terrible.
2/10 , do not watch.
Gold: 0.00
Mar 24 2019 07:13pm
little late, but if you're looking for a good fantasy ficton book I'd recommend The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. Without telling too much, it's about someone who is born over and over again throughout "the wheel of" time, but they have no memory of their past life. eventually they learn that they are destined to save the world, but also that they may destroy it while saving it. It has some metaphysical stuff to it such as a balance/duality of good and evil. When I read that description I feel like it leaves out a lot, i'm pretty bad at giving a description without spoilers so I'll leave it at that and just let you check some reviews of it lol. There's been talk that its gonna be made into a t.v series soon like Game of Thrones.
Apr 7 2019 08:36pm
Quote (Anderzhul @ Mar 24 2019 08:13pm)
little late, but if you're looking for a good fantasy ficton book I'd recommend The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. Without telling too much, it's about someone who is born over and over again throughout "the wheel of" time, but they have no memory of their past life. eventually they learn that they are destined to save the world, but also that they may destroy it while saving it. It has some metaphysical stuff to it such as a balance/duality of good and evil. When I read that description I feel like it leaves out a lot, i'm pretty bad at giving a description without spoilers so I'll leave it at that and just let you check some reviews of it lol. There's been talk that its gonna be made into a t.v series soon like Game of Thrones.

Will explore that series starting with reviews.
I appreciate the no-spoiler commentary, thank you!
Gold: 8,346.00
Apr 11 2019 01:17pm
The Dirt Eaters Trilogy by Dennis Foon

Post apocalyptic journey in a steam punk ish setting where one mafk learns about beings that eat special dust to control the world.

Then he saves the mutha fuckin day

Amazing Series, Amazing writer.
Apr 11 2019 01:19pm
Quote (Phaggot @ Apr 11 2019 02:17pm)
The Dirt Eaters Trilogy by Dennis Foon

Post apocalyptic journey in a steam punk ish setting where one mafk learns about beings that eat special dust to control the world.

Then he saves the mutha fuckin day

Amazing Series, Amazing writer.

Sounds interesting , will check it out !
Thank you
Go Back To Books & Literature Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll