d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Buying A New Laptop
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 32,090.31
Feb 25 2019 10:46pm
Looking to spend at most $1000 but am happy with less.

This is my current laptop and I would like something similar. I'm partial towards asus as my last two laptops have been asus products but I'm open to other options from people who know more about what's out there.

https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/ASUS-ZenBook-UX306UA/

Pretty sure my current has i7/16gb RAM/500 gb SSD. I don't know much but I'm guessing this is overkill for what I'm looking for. Especially since the graphics card in this one is poop.

Reasons I got the zenbook and what I'm looking for in my new one.

Lightweight -- I don't want anything over a few pounds and obviously the lighter the better.
SSD -- I want it to be able to startup in an instant.
i7 processor (thinking I'm fine with an i5 as I was told i7 in this kind of laptop is just overkill)
Long battery life

Not sure how I feel about touchscreen. Still up in the air about if I want it or not but leaning more towards no.

I need it for the next year and a half of grad school and then I'd love for it to last as long as possible so that I can use it in my career. (hoping at least 3-4 years total. this one only got me two before the touchpad stopped working)

Essentially Microsoft office, internet (streaming (netflix/spotify), browsing, multiple tabs/windows open at once(20+ tabs for school/work)).

Extra would be if there was something out there that could run gaming for a little extra cost but I haven't gamed in years so this isn't anything big at all and only worth it to me if it cost only a little more.

I want the battery to last long, lightweight, and run things fast and smooth. Also startup and open apps/docs fast.
Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
Feb 25 2019 11:05pm
Dell xps 15 or 13
Surface laptop
Lenovo yoga
Macbook air or base spec pro

Any laptop with an i5 7+ gen and ssd should accomplish what you want
Gold: 32,090.31
Feb 25 2019 11:45pm
Quote (BERRISWEET @ Feb 26 2019 01:05am)
Dell xps 15 or 13
Surface laptop
Lenovo yoga
Macbook air or base spec pro

Any laptop with an i5 7+ gen and ssd should accomplish what you want

From everything that I've been reading, 16 gb RAM is overkill unless live streaming and gaming. Is this true?

I've been reading the reviews on the surface 2 laptop and many people complained that it falls apart after using it for a bit.

I'm looking for a laptop that will be traveling with me almost every day.
Gold: 110.00
Mar 2 2019 09:40am
Our end users, use Dell lattitude 7480/7490 with i5 7th and 8th gens depending on 7480/7490 and 8GB of RAM
Only my app developers have 16GB of RAM and quite frankly it's not really necessary as more and more of our systems are converted to Azure or Xen

That being said, this is in a office environment not for gaming or the use of your average computer savvy 15-30 yr old :)
Go Back To Computers & IT Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll