d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Motor Sports & Cars > 2000 Civic, Mystery Stalling Issue > Any Ideas, Yo?
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 6,969.69
Feb 25 2019 10:10pm
JSP! Lend me your brain meats!

2000 Civic DX. (/inb4 "well there's your problem right there!") Stock B16 engine; bone stock everything.

In recent history, the engine started mysteriously cutting out. If I try to turn the engine back over, I get spark, and the starter motor tries to turn over the engine, but it won't catch.

Initially, I thought it was either a clogged fuel line, or clogged injectors; ran a tank with SeaFoam through the car, but the problem persists.

I've since noticed that if the car gets up to a certain operating temperature (after driving for about 45 minutes, give or take), is when the problem happens. If the engine cuts out on me, as stated, I can't turn it back over immediately. If I let the car sit for about an hour or so, and let the block return to (roughly) ambient temperature, I can then turn the engine back over, and drive for a little longer. Not exactly convenient.

I've since shotgunned a crapload of parts (though, admittedly, all of 'em were overdue and necessary) at the issue. I've replaced some shit that are likely culprits, and unlikely culprits.

- new plugs
- new wires
- new distributor cap + rotor
- new air filter
- new main fuel relay (really thought it was this one, but nah)
- new thermostat, flushed the radiator, and put fresh fluid in

and just gave it a new oil change (because it was due, anyways.)

Haven't replaced the fuel pump or fuel filter yet. I'm not inclined to think it's the pump; I can hear it kick on when I turn they key.

Any ideas?
Gold: 0.00
Feb 25 2019 10:47pm
Bring it to a mechanic instead of throwing more parts at it. Definitely a fuel delivery issue of sorts.
Gold: 3,188.00
Feb 26 2019 10:11am
i was gonna say the fuel pump/ filter but idk if it will still kick on if its pwnt
Gold: 1,363.36
Feb 26 2019 08:33pm
boy you didnt change the module in the distributor?
Gold: 137.01
Feb 26 2019 10:48pm
Crack open a fuel line. Easiest way to see if you're getting fuel.

Do a compression test.
Gold: 3.75
Mar 1 2019 05:48pm
dose it idle normal without surging?
dose it ever bog taking off from a dead stop?
Banned
Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
Warn: 20%
Mar 3 2019 04:11am
ECU
Gold: 533.37
Mar 3 2019 08:26am
Quote (ChowYunFat @ Feb 25 2019 11:10pm)
JSP! Lend me your brain meats!

2000 Civic DX. (/inb4 "well there's your problem right there!") Stock B16 engine; bone stock everything.

In recent history, the engine started mysteriously cutting out. If I try to turn the engine back over, I get spark, and the starter motor tries to turn over the engine, but it won't catch.

Initially, I thought it was either a clogged fuel line, or clogged injectors; ran a tank with SeaFoam through the car, but the problem persists.

I've since noticed that if the car gets up to a certain operating temperature (after driving for about 45 minutes, give or take), is when the problem happens. If the engine cuts out on me, as stated, I can't turn it back over immediately. If I let the car sit for about an hour or so, and let the block return to (roughly) ambient temperature, I can then turn the engine back over, and drive for a little longer. Not exactly convenient.

I've since shotgunned a crapload of parts (though, admittedly, all of 'em were overdue and necessary) at the issue. I've replaced some shit that are likely culprits, and unlikely culprits.

- new plugs
- new wires
- new distributor cap + rotor
- new air filter
- new main fuel relay (really thought it was this one, but nah)
- new thermostat, flushed the radiator, and put fresh fluid in

and just gave it a new oil change (because it was due, anyways.)

Haven't replaced the fuel pump or fuel filter yet. I'm not inclined to think it's the pump; I can hear it kick on when I turn they key.

Any ideas?

i realize its been cold most places lately but does the inside of the vehicle get warm/hot and then you have problems or can the inside of the vehicle be cold and it does it? we had a honda accord that cut out and wouldnt start if the inside of the car was hot and it was the pcm i believe. when it physically gets hot like summer with windows up it wouldnt work. you had to roll the windows down and get it cooled down some before it would work again. it was under the passenger seat iirc.
Gold: 176,505.40
Mar 6 2019 07:43am
nvm gl

This post was edited by sutter on Mar 6 2019 07:43am
Gold: 6,969.69
Mar 11 2019 10:22pm
Quote (JDH @ 3 Mar 2019 07:26)
i realize its been cold most places lately but does the inside of the vehicle get warm/hot and then you have problems or can the inside of the vehicle be cold and it does it?

Cranking the heater and bleeding heat off the block seemed to help, but it would happen, regardless if the cabin was hot or cold.

Sooo... I've got it kind of fixed. The last part I threw at it was replacing the engine coolant temperature sensor. Replacing the ECT helped some, but didn't fix the problem outright.

HOWEVER!

If I bypass the radiator fan (via paperclip, so the fan is always on when the ignition is on), the car runs fine.

At this point, gonna call it "good enough", and I'll take it to someone with more experience than me when I get a chance.
Go Back To Motor Sports & Cars Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll