d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Health & Fitness > Training For A Half Marathon > (badly)
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 3.33
Feb 25 2019 02:32pm
About 2 weeks ago I set myself the target of completing a half marathon by May. I would currently rate my fitness level as quite bad, at a push I can run about 10km but I think it'd take me about 1 hr 5 mins to do

So far my training has been running a 6km route 2-3 times a week and trying to do it progressively faster before moving on to 10km+ runs. I have been steadily improving and can do it in 25 mins but the progress is a bit slower than I'd like; I do feel exhausted after some of the runs which makes me think I'll have serious trouble doing long distances, albeit at a slower pace.

Questions:

For better progress do you think increasing the amount of runs to 4 a week would be beneficial? Should I also mix up the distances more?

Is it a good idea to do leg press, calf raises etc to have more power for running or is it not necessary for a half marathon?

With where I'm at now, is completing a half marathon in May too soon or is it a realistic goal I can work to?
Gold: 0.00
Feb 25 2019 07:47pm
I did this last year, actually.

This program is good for a novice:
https://www.halhigdon.com/training-programs/half-marathon-training/novice-1-half-marathon/

Do not focus on speed, just completion and consistency. The goal here is to build a solid endurance base.

Stretch after your training and buy a muscle roller and roll once every 1-2 days. Eat a decent amount of protein. Greatly limit or cease alcohol consumption for the duration of this program. Sleep at least 7 hours/night. If you didn't already do strength training before this, it's best not to start now.

Oh, and I bought myself a GPS watch with a heart rate monitor. It was invaluable not only in tracking time and distance, but actual effort in the run so I could slow myself down to not overdo it. It's hard to tell otherwise as, for some people, that might mean to drop to a very slow pace like 12.5m/mi.

Good luck.

This post was edited by Darkblue on Feb 25 2019 07:57pm
Feb 26 2019 01:00pm
Quote (Darkblue @ Feb 26 2019 02:47am)
I did this last year, actually.

This program is good for a novice:
https://www.halhigdon.com/training-programs/half-marathon-training/novice-1-half-marathon/

Do not focus on speed, just completion and consistency. The goal here is to build a solid endurance base.

Stretch after your training and buy a muscle roller and roll once every 1-2 days. Eat a decent amount of protein. Greatly limit or cease alcohol consumption for the duration of this program. Sleep at least 7 hours/night. If you didn't already do strength training before this, it's best not to start now.

Oh, and I bought myself a GPS watch with a heart rate monitor. It was invaluable not only in tracking time and distance, but actual effort in the run so I could slow myself down to not overdo it. It's hard to tell otherwise as, for some people, that might mean to drop to a very slow pace like 12.5m/mi.

Good luck.

Appreciate it!
Gold: 770.56
Trader: Trusted
Feb 26 2019 02:17pm
Ha, I do the same.
Never been into runnig before, but started a few weeks ago and my goal is a half marathon in october.

Currently running 2x 5km/week. Guess when the winter is over I will increase it to longer distances and I will try to run 3x times a week, atleast when the date of the half marathon comes closer.

Wish you good luck!

This post was edited by HIGHFIELD on Feb 26 2019 02:17pm
Feb 28 2019 01:32pm
Taking your advice I ran a 10km yesterday for the first time and didn't focus on speed at all. Completed it with energy to spare and not massively out of breath, but it took me 1 hour 20!

Quote (HIGHFIELD @ Feb 26 2019 09:17pm)
Ha, I do the same.
Never been into runnig before, but started a few weeks ago and my goal is a half marathon in october.

Currently running 2x 5km/week. Guess when the winter is over I will increase it to longer distances and I will try to run 3x times a week, atleast when the date of the half marathon comes closer.

Wish you good luck!

You too mate
Gold: 0.00
Mar 1 2019 09:00am
Quote (dro94 @ Feb 28 2019 02:32pm)
Taking your advice I ran a 10km yesterday for the first time and didn't focus on speed at all. Completed it with energy to spare and not massively out of breath, but it took me 1 hour 20!

You too mate

Good thing to know you're not ego-writing cheques that your body can't cash. Gradual linear progression is the way.
Gold: 770.56
Trader: Trusted
Mar 7 2019 12:24pm
Extended my running track today.
It's close to 6km now, but took me about 40 minutes :o

Looks like I have to work on my speed hehe.
Gold: 21.80
Mar 31 2019 10:05am
Quote (HIGHFIELD @ Mar 7 2019 06:24pm)
Extended my running track today.
It's close to 6km now, but took me about 40 minutes :o

Looks like I have to work on my speed hehe.

speed will come if you focus on long slow distance to start.

speed will come.
Go Back To Health & Fitness Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll