d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > November 3, 2020 Topic > 2020 Election Stuff
12339Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 10,655.00
Feb 15 2019 01:43am

Democrats swear off big money, but will it hurt their 2020 White House chances?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-money/democrats-swear-off-big-money-but-will-it-hurt-their-2020-white-house-chances-idUSKCN1Q31HQ

“I’m not taking a dime of PAC money in this campaign. I’m not taking a single check from a federal lobbyist. I’m not taking applications from billionaires who want to run a Super PAC on my behalf. And I challenge every other candidate who asks for your vote in this primary to say exactly the same thing,” Warren said during her rally last Saturday in Massachusetts.

Warren’s move regarding money from lobbyists and political action committees (PACs) - entities formed by corporations, unions and others to raise and spend money to back or oppose candidates - highlights the tricky role money is expected to play in a Democratic primary battle that could draw dozens of candidates vying to challenge Republican President Donald Trump.

The Democratic candidates are expected to push one another to show their commitment to getting big money out of politics, following the lead of Democrats who helped the party retake control of the U.S. House of Representatives from Trump’s fellow Republicans in last year’s congressional elections.

Hmmm. Yeah, I don't buy this.
Gold: 28,296.01
Feb 15 2019 05:52am
It's a honeydick in most of the cases. The non Warren dems are talking about corporate pacs which because of the laws isn't a large percent of the overall

All they can do is discourage or disavow ads by superpacs but they cant stop them

Playing to the -get money out of politics- crowd but what they are promising doesn't result in much with the reality of citizens United

It's the push and pull between establishment and progressive but
Trump's a hated dude with a record that really only excites maga kids. They don't need all the bullshit pandering and half assing if they just stick to substance and snag the moderates in the midwest by hitting the trade wars and letting mama coulter slam him on the right so she can sell the bad trump sequel to the king trump first book

Something Bernie could do but Harris wont. Both would win for different reasons. Harris sucks but she will take the black woman identity politics all the way to the White House.
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 20%
Feb 15 2019 09:02am
beto is the best example how serious your average corporate democrats are about this, i wouldn't trust them further than i could throw them, this includes ppl like booker, harris, gillibrand...

the only people with a consistent track record and a genuine commitment on this issue are bernie and warren imo.
Gold: 18,534.02
Feb 15 2019 09:09am
Quote (fender @ Feb 15 2019 10:02am)
beto is the best example how serious your average corporate democrats are about this, i wouldn't trust them further than i could throw them, this includes ppl like booker, harris, gillibrand...

the only people with a consistent track record and a genuine commitment on this issue are bernie and warren imo.

Bernie doesn't have a chance - he'll roll over and die when his DNC handlers tell him to.

Unfortunately, Warren doesn't have a shot either. She's too progressive for the middle of the road democrats and doesn't check enough inter sectional boxes for the other fools. Not enough victim hood in her life now that it's proven she's a faux Indian.
Feb 15 2019 12:43pm

Massachusetts ex-governor first Republican to challenge Trump for 2020

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-weld/massachusetts-ex-governor-first-republican-to-challenge-trump-for-2020-idUSKCN1Q41QZ

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Bill Weld, the former Republican governor of Massachusetts, said on Friday he will challenge U.S. President Donald Trump for their party’s presidential nomination in 2020, saying the country was in “grave peril.”
Weld, 73, who has little name recognition and will have to raise vast sums of money for his campaign, is making a long-shot bid to deny Trump the Republican nomination. Opinion polls have consistently found Republican voters overwhelmingly support Trump’s re-election.

...and the plot thickens.
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 20%
Feb 15 2019 03:52pm
Quote (djman72 @ 15 Feb 2019 16:09)
Bernie doesn't have a chance - he'll roll over and die when his DNC handlers tell him to.

Unfortunately, Warren doesn't have a shot either. She's too progressive for the middle of the road democrats and doesn't check enough inter sectional boxes for the other fools. Not enough victim hood in her life now that it's proven she's a faux Indian.

he didn't just 'roll over and die', he closed a seemingly insurmountable margin and fought to the end, he was beaten by the incredibly corrupt democrat establishment that rigged the primaries against him.

i also think warren doesn't have a chance, but policy wise she's certainly one of the more principled progressives, who fought against the exploits of wallstreet way before it was popular - which imo is the strongest argument for her.

i don't know how the bookies see it, but cynical me definitely predicts the dems nominating an establishment candidate who has a realistic chance of losing against trump. if i had to put my money on someone right now, i'd say harris takes the nomination. and while she's not as bad as clinton, i certainly don't see her bring any meaningful change to washington. to classic corporate owned politics that is, not the freakshow of incompetence and blatant cronyism happening currently...

This post was edited by fender on Feb 15 2019 03:56pm
Gold: 1.00
Feb 15 2019 04:00pm
Republican or democrat, hopefully we end up with someone who is more diplomatic and doesn't have a twitter.
Feb 16 2019 11:06pm

Wow! I expected all kinds of predictions for the 2020 election.
Gold: 4.77
Feb 16 2019 11:10pm
Quote (Ghot @ 17 Feb 2019 00:06)
Wow! I expected all kinds of predictions for the 2020 election.

100$ says the dems will nominate someone who is anti Israel
Feb 17 2019 11:32am

Joe Biden says will decide soon whether to run for presidency

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-germany-security-usa-biden/joe-biden-says-will-decide-soon-whether-to-run-for-presidency-idUSKCN1Q50KO

MUNICH (Reuters) - Former U.S. Vice President Joe Biden, a Democrat, said on Saturday he had not yet decided whether to run for president in 2020 but would do so “in the near term”.

More than two dozen Democrats could ultimately opt to run for president, creating a crowded field hoping to challenge President Donald Trump. Biden, who served two terms as vice president after decades in the U.S. Senate, would have the advantage of name recognition should he enter the race.

The 76-year old would also find himself at the center of a debate among Democrats about whether their party would best be led in the November 2020 vote by a political newcomer or a seasoned veteran.

"two dozen democrats" :lol:
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
12339Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll