d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > National Emergency > Incoming
Prev1101112131419Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 4,400.67
Feb 16 2019 10:28am
Quote (fender @ 16 Feb 2019 09:11)
i'm curious now:

- do you think his fiscal responsibility and debt reduction promise was taken seriously?
- did his supporters, in your opinion, believe that he'd do away with cronyism and corruption in washington, or did they expect the swamp to expand to record size rather than be drained?
- do you think they took it seriously when he publicly promised that millionaires and billionaires would definitely NOT benefit from his tax overhaul?

i'm asking those questions because the 'barely anyone took it seriously anyway' excuse very much reminds me of the 'typical politician' when corrupt / 'outsider' when incompetent narrative...

- trump IS fighting to drain the washington swamp. what he didnt tell on the campaign trail was that he would use the freed up space to fill it with his own swamp creatures. it was always naive to think that he was a righteous white knight in a shining armor who really wanted to clean up washington out of a moral, not self-serving motivation. on this point, I think most of his supporters were fools.
- a quick look at trump's past makes it obvious that his heart wasnt in fiscal responsibility and debt reduction. he quite clearly adopted this language because it was an important part of the GOP messaging over the prior years. however, I dont think trump's base ever cared too much about fiscal responsibility to begin with, so that him breaking his campaign rhetoric on this issue wont matter, even reluctant supporters who would be willing to break with him wont do it over fiscal (ir)responsibility.
- yes, I guess most of them believed him on the "I wont benefit from my own tax cuts"-talking point. that's a broken promise, and one that imho matters. imho, this is one of the most potent lines of attack for democrats, but they are too obsessed with identity politics to seize the opportunity.

Quote (Thor123422 @ 16 Feb 2019 17:13)
Dems have offered multiple compromises and Trump has been receptive until he was criticized for it by his base.

And not just the most recent instance either... its been a running theme.

those offers were trojan horses, not fair compromises.

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Feb 16 2019 10:31am
Gold: 0.00
Feb 16 2019 10:29am
Quote (Thor123422 @ Feb 16 2019 11:13am)
Dems have offered multiple compromises and Trump has been receptive until he was criticized for it by his base.

And not just the most recent instance either... its been a running theme.

No, they really havent. Please look at what they offered.

If I approach you to buy a car, and you offer me a tire. That's not really the same thing.

This post was edited by GLYC123 on Feb 16 2019 10:30am
Gold: 28,296.69
Feb 16 2019 10:36am
Quote (GLYC123 @ Feb 16 2019 09:29am)
No, they really havent. Please look at what they offered.

If I approach you to buy a car, and you offer me a tire. That's not really the same thing.

Well considering the campaign promise was that mexico was going to pay for the wall I'd say they were generous in all of their offers now that the lie will be funded by US tax payers
Feb 16 2019 11:53am
Quote (Beowulf @ Feb 16 2019 11:07am)
The people that disagree with those of us that believe what I stated above are the Maga kids that will forever go with anything he says and Republicans that want more power knowing full damn well that in a few short years it will be used against them and they will have to be complete hypocrites once again like Mitch Trump and Republican leaders already are as we stand right now.

I'm a dirty tree hugging Hippie and I don't want the Democrats abusing national emergencies for issues that I care about like the environment for example or any of the others I believe in. I sure as hell don't want it used to go after the second amendment or other freedoms for campaign promises aimed at the fringe

You're not looking for more research or objective opinions you're looking for opinions that support the one you will not change

You will only find what you're looking for from hacks and power grabbers

It's definitely a different issue than an environmental issue. When you take the current state of Mexico into account.
If the United States wasn't as well established as it is, we would likely be overrun by the Cartel right now as well.

In a perfect world, they would have been able to utilize Ted Cruz's idea to seize some of El Chapos wealth to construct it, but that just doesn't sound realistic.
Feb 16 2019 11:56am
Quote (GLYC123 @ Feb 16 2019 10:53am)
It's definitely a different issue than an environmental issue. When you take the current state of Mexico into account.
If the United States wasn't as well established as it is, we would likely be overrun by the Cartel right now as well.

In a perfect world, they would have been able to utilize Ted Cruz's idea to seize some of El Chapos wealth to construct it, but that just doesn't sound realistic.

To you

to wall supporters

that won't matter when you're not in power

That's why if people choose to stand with personality and party over principles it will always come back around and our country becomes weaker because of it
Gold: 2,487.88
Feb 16 2019 12:06pm
Quote (Beowulf @ Feb 16 2019 09:56am)
To you

to wall supporters

That's why if people choose to stand with personality and party over principles it will always come back around and our country becomes weaker because of it

why u keep saying when were not in power, or when next president is a democrat. we will be in power for long long time. book it!
Feb 16 2019 12:11pm
Quote (Beowulf @ Feb 16 2019 12:56pm)
To you

to wall supporters

Quote (GLYC123 @ Feb 16 2019 10:40am)
That depends what position you take really, in regards to it being a misuse. If you take it as him being legally and justifiable after he proposed to make compromise with the Democratic party for months with no propositions from them, despite it being something they have previously been for, you deem the vetoing of the wall bills as an unjust want for the benefit of their own political party for 2020.

Overall, you would view this not as a win, but as final means due to their failure to try to work together. In that case, i would argue it's more of a flaw of the two party system, and the two party system is a weakness.

The Emergency Powers do not grant you infinite powers. A president cant just do whatever they want, there has to be a connection of it to specific statutes.

The idea that because Trump does this means that presidents can just do whatever the hell they want is false.

So that argument isn't entirely agreeable with. Neither are the people that claim "dictatorship incoming!!"

As I said, I will wait to hear more about the topic, and the surrounding incoming arguments.
There will definitely be some interesting things upcoming.

Feb 16 2019 12:17pm
Quote (Odell @ Feb 16 2019 11:06am)
why u keep saying when were not in power, or when next president is a democrat. we will be in power for long long time. book it!

You're in for a rude political awakening young man

The democrats will continue to take the house and they will get the Presidency and will work on the senate eventually, that's what happens in politics, power switches but it does not change, the powerful always want more power and they will always try to gain more

The people have a choice to allow it or to fight to keep a balanced and principled system that prevents abuse. Our foundation is strong but if we do not maintain it and allow damage term after term eventually it will collapse and we the people will pay the price for our political complacency and arrogance
Warn: 20%
Feb 16 2019 12:45pm
i have a simple question for the trump supporters who think his national emergency declaration to fund the idiot bait wall is justified:

how can you still argue there actually IS an emergency going on despite his own admission that he 'didn't (even) need to do this' and just did it to get his wall 'much faster'?

This post was edited by fender on Feb 16 2019 12:54pm
Feb 16 2019 12:46pm
emergency is IMMINENT DANGER - TRUMP GOAT

Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1101112131419Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll